It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class Action Lawsuit Against Apple's iPhone4S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
mashable.com...

Did you buy an iPhone 4S on the promise that Siri, Apple’s world-famous “intelligent assistant,” would let you command your phone with your voice? And were you disappointed by how it actually performed in reality?

That appears to be the story of Frank M. Fazio, a New Yorker who is suing Apple for false advertising.

Fazio filed his suit as a class action — if others decide to sue Apple over Siri, they’ll all likely become part of the same suit. An Apple spokesperson didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Say what you want about frivolous lawsuits...

I commend the guy for taking Apple to task.

For years Apple has been filing baseless lawsuits against Samsung, Motorola, etc... and it's about time they get the other end of the stick.

On that note though... he does make a valid point. Every iPhone commercial on TV is advertising the Siri as the greatest thing since the internet. And after playing around with it myself... it ranges from pretty bad to useless, depending on the application you are using it for.

Anyone else have any experiences with this?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I use it occasionally. I find the speech recognition amazingly accurate. I am often surprised and amused by the results, but usually they're pretty good. I am, however, disappointed by it often being unavailable.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
"I can't search for locations in Canada"

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

So the question remains...

If you bought this product solely on the promise of the program, would you be satisfied?

Remember, this is a false advertisement case. If Apple weren't solely advertising this feature, I don't think the claim would have any base.

It's a fine line in my eyes.

Star for a response from a user's perspective.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yea cause its not like the samsung phones aren't blatent rip offs of the Iphones form and function...

You are aware that Android looked nothing like it does today until the Iphone came out, at which point Google changed the entire design elements of android to mirror apples...

Been in the cell phone industry long enough to see the blatant rip off of apples design spread to all handsets.

Love um or hate um apples the reason modern phones are all smartphones, and most of the lawsuits are not frivolous .

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass

Odd, works for me.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

So the question remains...

If you bought this product solely on the promise of the program, would you be satisfied?

No, if this was the only reason I bought the phone. I would have expected near-100% availability.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Yea cause its not like the samsung phones aren't blatent rip offs of the Iphones form and function...

You are aware that Android looked nothing like it does today until the Iphone came out, at which point Google changed the entire design elements of android to mirror apples...

Been in the cell phone industry long enough to see the blatant rip off of apples design spread to all handsets.

Love um or hate um apples the reason modern phones are all smartphones, and most of the lawsuits are not frivolous .

Please, filing a suit over slide-to-unlock is like filing a suit for a computer using a keyboard. It does not impact function in any way.

Not to mention the Tablet wars over in Asia a few years ago, where Apple was trying to halt delivery of certain tablets. Most of Apple's "original ideas" are all rip-offs of other products anyways.

And by the way...

The first Smartphone was designed by IBM.

And the first touchscreen phone was made by Ericsson.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not to nit-pick... but Apple fanboys love to claim Apple invented the industry... which is just blatantly wrong.

You need to research your "industry" a little more.
edit on 13-3-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Odd, works for me.

Lol Canada is IN the united states.

Icrap, people never learn. When the Ipod was first released they made the battery's weak so that they would die faster. When the G4 came out they made the charger and the charger port weak so it would brake causing you to pay apple to repair it. When the ipod came out they made the glass very cheap so that when you drooped it a foot it would crack. Their is a long list of stuff like this in order to bring apple more money. All of their products are all ready over priced. You pay for a trendy name. The soft ware is crap and unconstumizble compared to other products. Im no fan boy but I will never give a dollar to apple. Its logo is a FREAKING BITTEN APPLE!!! THE FORBIDIN FRUIT!!! Right in front of your eyes, but you would rather have trendy icrap so you lie to your self.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

As a matter of fact, here is a lawsuit from a few months ago over customers not getting the services promised by Apple for the iPhone 4...

modmyi.com...

More users being promised services they couldn't receive...

This isn't the first time for Apple, hence why I said I am glad someone finally stepped-up for the iPhone 4S.

C'mon man, this isn't Apple's first time in the spotlight...

They just happen to be very good at keeping their troubles out of the news.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The worst part about Apple are their advertisements, to be honest.

I don't agree with what I consider an overly-proprietary business model. I think it's very costly and limited for the very few advantages it has (unfortunately, many of Apple's own tools and utilities are fundamentally broken in its operating systems.... sure - it doesn't affect the target-market of Apple, who are simply amazed by the fact they can make the mouse move; but it's the same features that have been broken for the past 15 years).

However - what made me to finally decide to personally boycott Apple was the lack of professionalism in their advertisements. The "I'm a mac" commercials were the nail in the coffin. I found them to be repulsive in tone and context; attempting to drag computer marketing to the slums of political campaigns.

Even worse - people buy Apple products and like to try and word-of-mouth the advertisement; "I'm better and smarter than you because I got an Apple-thing."

So, on some level, I can't help but feel there is justice merely in bringing a case against Apple for false advertising.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yeah...

Here ya go...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Apple controls about 9% of the market share in smartphones, and about 80% of the profits. That's all you need to know to see how grossly overpriced Apple products are. I have never bought Apple and probably never will, I don't feed into their false advertising.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
i say go for it
i am tired of ipod this iphone that ipad this idont care. wyhat does apple bring us new this year a qay to listen to your music the ipod ok didnt we all already have mp3 players
new this year a phone and ipod in one the iphone ok blackberries and droids already do that with built in mp3 players hello
new this year a computer that has a touchscreen user control hello didnt maxhintosh make tablet computers years ago and palm pdas were able to be used as hand held computers years ago.

all apple does is lie to the user to try to get them to invest into a device that you have to psay apple to use content from through i tunes

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
Apple controls about 9% of the market share in smartphones, and about 80% of the profits. That's all you need to know to see how grossly overpriced Apple products are.

Or how overcapable their products are .

I don't own an iPhone, but I do recognize that their technology combination is state of the art. If you know something about machine learning you'll realize how impressive Siri is---not as a research project but as something actually deployed in production.

They are winning in a fiercely competitive market with very little lock-in (unlike the near monopoly status of Microsoft Windows & Office as a consequence of backward compatibiltiy with internal IT).

Post Jobs, they will probably have a great 5 years and then decay into a pleasant but unremarkable mediocrity.
edit on 16-3-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Odd, works for me.

After the new perimeter security and trade agreement between Canada and the U.S it's telling you the truth!

join