It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega-Telescope planned by the year 2024. Can possibly detect alien radar 50 light years away.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So, this is awesome, not only is it a major leap in space exploration, but also has the potential of being a actually useful tool for the seti.

Source

The search for extraterrestrial transmission has been underway for a long time, but the SKA's sensitivity will provide a key advantage.
For the first time, it will even be possible to detect the relatively weak signals of televisions and radars from nearby stars. Spying such an artificial transmission from a planet around a star would be a pretty good clue that we're not in this by ourselves.

Some benefits outside of seti: Can watch galaxys form, can seek out dark matter, useful in disproving (or solidifying) Einsteins theory of relativity, etc

The SKA will also look at how galaxies evolve and investigate the nature of dark energy. By mapping out the cosmic distribution of hydrogen, it will study the expansion of the universe after the Big Bang. Such a map will also allow researchers to track young galaxies.
How were stars born and black holes formed? The SKA will study the very first ones, as well as stars and galaxies that shaped the development of the universe. It will even be able to detect black holes forming during the Dark Ages.
SKA will also take on Einstein. The board of directors speculate that it may challenge the theory of general relativity and probe the nature of gravity.
Initial construction is due in 2016, and the SKA is expected to be fully operational by 2024. By 2019, well before the full array is completed, the team expects some exciting science results will be achievable.

Cost: 2.36 billion
a deal at double the cost if you ask me.

Cool stuff.

____
I wonder...if we, being barely fetus's in space exploration, can do this now...where will the industry of space exploration be in say, 200 years when we have such arrays on the moon or free floating in space with technology that would make our current tech appear near cavemen tools.
edit on 13-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Why are they bothering when they know that Nibiru is near. DUMB, seed vaults, banker resignations, etc.~ This is just a planted story to keep the masses from looking up through the chemtrails.

/sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

Granted, it will only help out us official members of the illuminati..but still...cool anyhow

Funny, isn't it...the people theoretically in the know about the impending doom are seemingly making long term plans...one would think that if total doomification was nigh, and "they' know about it...they wouldn't be making such plans.
or...ya...that could just the the ruse

ok, back on topic then...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Utterly Freaking Awesome!!
I predict that puppy will get some hits in its first six months-there are 133 stars within 50 light years of Earth:

www.atlasoftheuniverse.com...

We could be able to watch Alien news broadcasts and/or films right here on Earth if just one of those stars has just one planet with intelligent life transmitting signals.

Thanks SaturnFX,I am getting on a health regime to try to live to see this beauty in action!
S=F Bigtime!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

For the first time, it will even be possible to detect the relatively weak signals of televisions and radars from nearby stars. Spying such an artificial transmission from a planet around a star would be a pretty good clue that we're not in this by ourselves.

They are looking for "Tv" signals.....are they for real?? Why would any other race of being watch or have a Tv? Tv's are a human invention. So its highly unlikely any other race of being would use them.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The search for extraterrestrial transmission has been underway for a long time, but the SKA's sensitivity will provide a key advantage.

Interesting, cool and funny. We assume aliens have tv's.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ummm.....Who's paying for this? I kinda thought we were very broke and way in debt.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrecksrme

and hopefully they use radar as the bill for it is pretty heavy
edit on 13-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Ummm.....Who's paying for this? I kinda thought we were very broke and way in debt.

We are always broke and in debt..can't stop the drumbeat of science for every issue society comes up with.

and its an international venture anyhow,...it will require 2 continents to build.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
They are looking for "Tv" signals.....are they for real?? Why would any other race of being watch or have a Tv? Tv's are a human invention. So its highly unlikely any other race of being would use them.

Some people don't believe that.
And, why is it just a human invention? You don't reckon other races are intelligent enough to learn how to broadcast?
Its as likely as any other technology really...television, flying, automobiles, radio, etc etc etc.

What would you be looking for? Meditative chanting?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

We assume they don't?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Thanks SaturnFX,I am getting on a health regime to try to live to see this beauty in action!
S=F Bigtime!

Right.
Pity there is no way to hibernate in stasis now and then..skip ahead 10 or so years without aging...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

No worries, We can borrow from China. We're getting good at that.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I thought that as well-but of course they probably have completely different technologies-Although those technologies may still emit certain radio waves,which could in time be interpreted by our earthly computers into something resembling a TV transmission,or radio broadcast.

Lets just hope that if there is life in one of those 133 star systems,that they do not only communicate by telepathy or smoke signals.

I live in hope.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Some people don't believe that.
And, why is it just a human invention? You don't reckon other races are intelligent enough to learn how to broadcast?
Its as likely as any other technology really...television, flying, automobiles, radio, etc etc etc.

What would you be looking for? Meditative chanting?

Erm.....let me think...hmmmmm

Why is it a human invention.....because we invented it
Our race requires hours of brainwashing to keep the rich, rich, and the poor dumb and stupid. *spend* *spend* *spend*

There may be a need to travel, so yea fair enough they may use flight, or even something land vehicles. On the other hand, all other life may be so far from what we are like you cannot imagine it.

You are basing everything on them being the same as us. What if we are the backward ones and everyone else is using something far more advanced? Why would they have Tv's??

Then you have the argument that the materials required may not be freely available, atmospheric anomalies could prevent radio waves from leaving the planet, there are plenty of reasons why they wouldnt have tv sets.....can you give me one valid reason as to why aliens would have tv's, and watch programs as we do??

Because we do it is not a valid argument

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Erm.....let me think...hmmmmm

Why is it a human invention.....because we invented it
Our race requires hours of brainwashing to keep the rich, rich, and the poor dumb and stupid. *spend* *spend* *spend*

And what makes you think this is somehow unique? hell, trade and such may be the universal language in the end.
But on a more practical level...it stands to reason that advancement of a species to the point of space exploration would invent ways for mass communication for focused work. Communication in general is done in all forms of life, and always seeking to maximise its potency for various reasons.
We cannot say that because humans do it, aliens do, but we can make a pretty good guess that if all life as we know it on earth does it, chances are, they also may do it...then look at what ways such things can be done.

I would say a TV (something of the like) would be a early staplemark of technological progression in many alien species.

You are basing everything on them being the same as us.

Not us, but our understanding of all life (as I explained)

What if we are the backward ones and everyone else is using something far more advanced? Why would they have Tv's??

To watch I love Lucy of course.
Such a question is impossible to answer with our current knowledge...we may not even have TVs in 100 years, but instead opt for our own personal VR chambers.
shot in the dark, but the TV/radar thing is simply an example we are familiar with..basically anything giving off an artificial signal is what they are stating.

and watch programs as we do??

They enjoy Alf.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Haha you got me on the "they enjoy Alf".....you could be right there lol

top topics

join