It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting after bus crashes into Coventry pawnbrokers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Justwork

I know of that, having 3 kids of my own, but the key word in the (Daily Mail - beware what you read) article is that the "Government is considering". Nothing is decided, nothing is law and, tbh, nothing is likely to happen. Gove has bigger fish to fry than worrying about middle class kids going to the Algarve...

It also, thinking about, raises problems for those "end of year" school trips. My school took us to France and Eurodisney in Yr10, Yr 11 we went skiing. Both trips during term time. He is going to have a headache on his hands if he condones the actions of the schools, but prevent parents doing the same.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Haha, indeed. I consider anything that is North of me is in the North. But people in the North regard a specific area as the North, even if it is to the South of them. Then you get different area's of the North trying to be more "Northern" than others who might actually be more North than they are. It's all a bit silly really. I, personally, will stick to the geographic definition and anything that is North of my locale will be known as The North. Even Reading is "North" to me...

And I do resent the implication that if you live in "the South" you are some blinkered Londoner. There is a world of difference between being a Southerner and being a Londoner. To them, the world ceases to exist at the M25 and even look at us in Berkshire as wierd country folk....

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justwork
Good day up north then? At least now I know what to say when a smug northerner starts mocking the south about the riots. You didn't even need one for the looting to start!

Since when was Coventry up north?
North starts at Yorkshire! (but we will allow the Peak District to be included)

Not sure what i think of this to be honest........on the one hand it is just wrong. On the other.......well, it would have been tempting if you were walking past at the time.....

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Originally posted by RSF77
What do you expect from a species that's evolving backwards?

i would have said from a nation that's red lining with unemployment and crime. Soooo this will push a further bill to allow an extra 5000 cameras to be put up and guess who's footing the bill....Yup the tax payer.

Its rather simple, if people earn enough to sustain and feel proud about their social standard then these random but always abundant events would be minimized if not erased .
edit on 13-3-2012 by cerebralassassins because: erased

Yes, I share your sentiments entirely. I was just reading this morning on the BBC website that the government might propose to bring legislation in to allow the deployment of CS gas in a riot situation.

I was reading all the zombie comments about what a good idea it is. NO IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! They would be gasing our own children and innocent bystanders, too. Crazy idea! We might aswell live in China, Syria or Iran if that is allowed.

Yes, whine, whine, whine, I know that businesses need to be protected, but is this the only idea they can come up with; to use World War 1 tactics upon one's own youth?

If people are doing this kind of thing it is because of the social injustice, lack of care and opportunity; shortage of housing, breaking up of the nuclear family, on and on and on...

Pathetic excuse to act like petty dictators. Mess people up with social disadvantages then attack them when they say they've had enough by gasing them all.

Also, CS has may have long term and severe health implications once an individual has been exposed to it. I am seriously thinking of walking out on this mess of a U.K. I feel totally alientated from it and its people who think it is ok to gas your own youth, even if they are looting.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Revolution9 because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
On the other hand my town had a visit from a group a Robin Hoods last year.
They managed to hold up a local bank branch and promptly ran outside throwing the lot at passers by.
Police cordoned off the whole town trying to get all the cash back.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
Yes, I share your sentiments entirely. I was just reading this morning on the BBC website that the government might propose to bring legislation in to allow the deployment of CS gas in a riot situation.

It's already legal, has been since, well, forever really. You must have either read the article wrong or the reporter clearly had no idea.

I was reading all the zombie comments about what a good idea it is. NO IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! They would be gasing our own children and innocent bystanders, too. Crazy idea! We might aswell live in China, Syria or Iran if that is allowed.

It's already allowed, so I guess you should be panicking. But, the fact it is legal and has been for decades shows your fears are unfounded and based upon nothing but paranoia. Gas usage in riot situations has happened only a handful of times since WW2, the last time in 2011 at the UK Uncut protest in London.

Yes, whine, whine, whine, I know that businesses need to be protected, but is this the only idea they can come up with; to use World War 1 tactics upon one's own youth?

If they are lobbing petrol bombs, robbing people, assaulting people and generally behaving like animals what else would you do? Send them a letter?

If people are doing this kind of thing it is because of the social injustice, lack of care and opportunity; shortage of housing, breaking up of the nuclear family, on and on and on...

If that was the case, then more than the few thousands that did would have taken part. It was oportunistic crime, that is it. You think it is acceptable to riot, steal and attack people because you're too thick to go to school? A lot of the cretins they interviewed on the streets last August could barely string a sentence together. One girl that did managed "It's the guv'ments fault, innit. I can't get a job, innit, so we're just going to get the stuff we want anyway!". Needless to say, without even checking, she didn't get her GCSE's or probably even attend school properly and who's fault is that?

Also, there were plenty of rioters who DID have jobs, had educations and were "middle class". You're on shaky ground claiming these riots were socio-economic.

Pathetic excuse to act like petty dictators. Mess people up with social disadvantages then attack them when they say they've had enough by gasing them all.

Again, many rioters who have been convicted come from good backgrounds, have jobs and just saw it as an excuse to behave like a twat. Hardly socio-economic.

Also, CS has may have long term and severe health implications once an individual has been exposed to it. I am seriously thinking of walking out on this mess of a U.K. I feel totally alientated from it and its people who think it is ok to gas your own youth, even if they are looting

Whilst some people can have an immediate reaction, by and large there are no long term affects. In the Army, for example, you are exposed to these gasses and others so as to prepare you in case you get caught up in them. No long term reactions have been noted for CS exposure, not that I;ve heard anyway.

edit on 14/3/12 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Yes we are and it starts from the top down. They were just following the actions of our govt.
Have people forgotten how much money ect that the govt pockets ? The expenses fraud committed by the honourable people in govt. I dare say the American system is not that much different. After reading about the wall street banking gang. Who are all best buddies with Obama.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

nice dream

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Its good that you could make soooo many assumptions about me.....well....let me think...do i live in the uk....yes i do....am i from the uk...nope....but i have lived here for 9yrs.....and well i have seven kids.....so ummm wrong on those points aren't you...now uniforms in school....you live in a certain catchment area and that is where your supposed to send you kids.....hmmmm.....guess i am wrong there.....you see i am Canadian...so i have the benefit of being able to compare the different systems.....since i have raised kids under both systems....so surprise there too huh.

yes i did point out the extremes...and yes The uk is a nanny state where they feel it is best to interfere in people lives....especially if you use the state funding...(which i don't)...as i had to sign a document saying i would not use any state resources....and personally i would not want to as for some reason in all countries if you use state funding they feel they can treat you less than a human and interfere in how one brings up their children....

so please do not go make assumptions about where i live ...have you lived in Canada and can you compare the two systems.....IF you can then you might get what i am saying.....now...I am glad you are so proud of the Uk system...but i see it letting people down on many occasions....And i watch them interfere with out just cause in peoples lives where they have no business... There is no book on parenting and all parents are amateurs....but i do a pretty good job on raising responsible children and showing them the difference between right and wrong....and i see a great many people actually afraid of telling their children off ...especially in front of others as they might be told off....where as i would give a child of mine a good telling off if they deserved it no matter where i am.....The whole point is these are more fear tactics...it is bigger issue here....keeping people afraid of acting on their accord to do what is right...when i first got over here...there were a bunch of kids vandalizing a bus shelter...well i stop the car....tore strips of the little F%$%£rs and stopped them...i got back in the car and my partner bless her was in shock...and said i could get into so much trouble for doing that....she was afraid for me....I said if more people actually took the time to stop these things then they might have more respect for the world around them....she was not afraid of the kids acting out...she was more afraid that i could get in trouble with the law for giving the kids S%^£..... now just recently the school my 7yr attends now gives out different colors attendance cards...green good....yellow needs work....red bad....so now my 7yr old is afraid she might get a red one....so now yet another fear instilled in my child...she might be thought of as a bad child if she misses to much school in the eyes of the GOV. ...well i do a great job of educating my children...and school is not the end all and be all of a childs education.....the school is only a part of my childs education.....and when a school puts forward that they will teach a child how to pass an exam....rather than actually teach them then that is only trying to meet quotas placed on them by the schools governing body.

now my 14yr had goals set out for her by her school....what the heck is that about....the goal i set is to achieve top marks...and to do the best to their ability to achieve it....but the school set goals of a c is this...a b in that...and a d in that....and she actually figures that is what is decided so that is all she needs to achieve.....Disgusting is what it is....also where i am from thankfully you can still fail grades....so if you don not pass you stay back a year....now that is incentive.....because that is the real world.....nothing is fair....i watch schools putting forward kids who can't read or write or do simple calculations.....but i guess this is what you might deem as a good thing.

So please don't assume you have a clue what i am about......All the interfering with how parents get into trouble like they are criminals if a child does not attend school regularly just so schools can meet their quotas is bogus.

I am i parent who attends meetings with the school...go to my kids performances...help them with their homework...and will always make sure they are being educated as I know the schools only care about numbers and not their education.....so it is lovely how you verbatim try to make out i dont know the UK system...but your sadly mistaken......The Nanny state is not working.....time for the government to leave my house.
edit on 063131p://f26Wednesday by plube because: (no reason given)

edit on 063131p://f33Wednesday by plube because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join