It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting after bus crashes into Coventry pawnbrokers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Its hard not to become a opportunist, in the thieving aspect, when struggling to survive.

I can see how some people may want to steal from large corporations (not agreeing with it but acknowledging it), because they have been thieving normal folk for decades. But, this being a pawnbroker, a lot of jewelry at those places is pawned with the owners hoping to come back and get their items. Theft is usually not protected.

In other words, these people were stealing from the poor.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
As an American this sort of thing amazes me.

I leave my house unlocked and my keys in my car during the day, never had anything stolen.

But people I know in England are victims of petty street crime fairly often.

Are British people just prone to stealing?

Sounds like you like in a nice neighborhood-In fact in sounds like Britain back in the good old days.
As a kid I lived in a house with no locks,and my folks used to leave their keys in the car etc..
That was only in the 1970's/80's.

Things are very different today sadly.
Are Brits prone to stealing you ask?

Not at all.
But do our government steal from us,and view us all as criminals?

Some would say yes indeed.
Some would say that our high tax.police/surveillance state does exactly that.
And it seems that it could be true when some say that "if you treat people like criminals,those people soon start acting as such."

I would have gone to help the folks on the bus myself,in case anyone was hurt.
No bull-that's just how I am wired.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Justwork

geography is not your strong point is it ? coventry is near birmingham , not the north .
i know that a lot of the southern people think that anywhere beyond watford gap is the north

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justwork
Good day up north then? At least now I know what to say when a smug northerner starts mocking the south about the riots. You didn't even need one for the looting to start!

Nice

I am rather surprised though, to be honest. I wouldn't have thought that at the scene of a crash, people would loot, I wouldn't.

Would you not make sure the people in the bus are ok? The shop?

Dude, looting, really?

I know I shouldn't be surprised given recent-ish events, but I always hold out hope...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I totally agree and would be with you helping any injured. Part of my mind though would be on that booty, a lobe of my heart would be beating painfully hard and fast, The thought would cross my mind to ask someone to chuck me a ring or something.....I would be very tempted despite the drama.

I do not and would not steal, I can not do it....I would want to though, the cash would be useful right now.

Am hungry

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I leave my house unlocked and my keys in my car during the day, never had anything stolen.

No. However, consider that the UK is one of the most densely populated countries in the world, with a variety of different ethnic and religious groups, then remember there will always be a cross section of society that will commit crime.

I bet that where you live is rather isolated, low density, possibly even rural. Go to our countryside and you will find the same low levels of crime, we just have quite a few rather large cities (Coventry being one of them) which, like I said before, have that "cross-section" concentrated into an uber-juice of nobbishness.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

As i was reading another thread several days ago regarding U.K. citizens allowed to earn guns.
So could you imagine if they are allowed to own a rifle or a handgun similar to how things are in the U.S. , would it erupt into a full blown social bloodbath ? , or would it take say afew bloodbaths in citizens standing their ground against theft or rape that would ease the crime wave. As we all know, knife yielding in the U.K has become as common as drinking a coke. So yeah, i say allow handguns to be made available and allow nature to take its course, its evolution baby...embrace it.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Dude, we think the Italians (and French) are rude!

You will find in the UK, we largely respect the phenonemon known as "the queue"... And, despite what some may have you believe, we're largely a peaceful, low crime place. We just have some spots which are bad, like anywhere. Those in this thread saying the UK is crime ridden or that people get mugged nightly for their stuff are talking about very local conditions. Go a few miles over (from any of these bad area's) and you will find a situation much different.

Street crime gets the headlines, but to be honest it is still rather low generally, there are just some bad spots in certain cities and towns. I have lived in the centre of one the largest towns in the UK for 10 years, got mugged twice and both times it was because the guys knew I had just gone to see a "friend", if you catch my drift.

That said, it was a nice place to live and I loved it. I know live a few miles out of town in small market town, which has bugger all crime, is quiet and the idylic English setting. I just don't care much for the Tuesday night bell ringing practice at the local church!

Seriously, don't think the UK is like some Mad Max, post-apocolyptic wasteland because a few would say so. They speak some truth, but bad always goes with good. Also, remember that people who frequent ATS tend to be of the "cynical" persuasion, myself included.

Dude, you do have looting. You guys are the world champions at it! The same applies for you as I said the others, you're talking about a specific location, not the the whole US. I am sure you're locale is lovely, as is mine, but I know just a mere 5 miles down the road is a sink-estate that would make Mos Eisley look like a Sandals resort.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK

Ha, we wouldn't dream of leaving our keys in the car, at least not in my area. # if you leave your door unlocked at night expect a person to be stealing the jewelry off your body while you sleep, warming their hands in the your bed so the cold touch doesn't wake you up.

i know one sick bugger that was doing sleepers in the early 90s
the idiot would cook a bloody pizza whilst the peeps was asleep
he got caught though
dropped his bus pass by the open window

People think that in the UK we all sit and chat with a good cupa tea, sat on a settee and speak like the Queen. How we're perceived over seas is a joke, so far from the truth. To foreigners, our culture & social struggles are none existent.

edit on 13-3-2012 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
They also know that if they were to get shot they could put in a claim against you for defending your property/family and other interests and take you for every penny you have, because god help us if we try to defend ourself and get locked up for it.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

As i was reading another thread several days ago regarding U.K. citizens allowed to earn guns.
So could you imagine if they are allowed to own a rifle or a handgun similar to how things are in the U.S. , would it erupt into a full blown social bloodbath ? , or would it take say afew bloodbaths in citizens standing their ground against theft or rape that would ease the crime wave. As we all know, knife yielding in the U.K has become as common as drinking a coke. So yeah, i say allow handguns to be made available and allow nature to take its course, its evolution baby...embrace it.

knife crime is pretty low due to the fact that the police do stamp down hard if they hear of a knife being pulled and the sort of people who carry knives are the sort that don't want to attract police attention and also has the fact that americans are able to carry guns really stopped the nutjob who wants your wallet/purse?

we brits prefer not to start the gradual climb into gun ownership that would occur since every police officer has to have a gun therefore every criminal has to have one to equal it out which would mean that everyone has to be armed and given alot of the people i know that would be a disaster as they don't have the mind set/cultural background/ethos to handle it

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I laughed at the American's comments. As if your country is anything to use as a yardstick, the UN has called some of your cities more dangerous than middle eastern warzones! You keep more people in prison than any other nation, that should say enough about crime in the US.

You also say that we don't have guns over here, well...

www.nra.org.uk...

That is a link to the UK's National Rifle Association, and...

www.nra.org.uk...

That is a list of all the gun clubs here. Now we don't have as many as the US, but after a look at that, I'm sure you'll agree that we have more than enough places to use our 1,000,000 + legally registered firearms. We just don't have to scream to the rest of the world about how many we have.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justwork
I laughed at the American's comments. As if your country is anything to use as a yardstick, the UN has called some of your cities more dangerous than middle eastern warzones! You keep more people in prison than any other nation, that should say enough about crime in the US.

This is completely correct.

I don't really have anything to say other than that, so point acknowledged/

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

You make them available to law abiding citizens, the criminals already have them,

But most criminals are bullies who are used to having the only weapon, pull a weapon back and most will run.

It's why wingnuts choose places like schools, they know they'll have the only guns in the building.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeyTookErJeobs
They also know that if they were to get shot they could put in a claim against you for defending your property/family and other interests and take you for every penny you have, because god help us if we try to defend ourself and get locked up for it.

There have been several recent cases of people killing intruders into their homes or businesses and not being charged at all for their deaths. This whole "we can't defend ourselves" nonsense is just BS.

And, as pointed out, we are allowed guns in the UK. I do not know why Yanks think we're not. We just don't think of them as an extension of our penises. Even when guns were more widely available, say back at the turn of the 20th century, people still didn't care for them much. Even the police, when they were routinely armed, usually didn't bother to carry and left them back at the station in a locked safe.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I have a word here that instills a looting nature....and brings out the worst in people...RECESSION ...

IT is wrong that people would rather rob than help those who could have been injured in the incident....but this is the society as a whole that the downfall of the economy is creating is it not....All is going to plan....make the people hungry.....take away all hope of a future....step on each other....and then make out how evil we have become...then you can take these same disillusioned youth....fill the armies....and start a war.

Looting is wrong...and it is a shame people are being brought to tis...but raising the young has been taken out of the parents control....It is now the responsibility of the state.....Since the state interferes so much in individuals lives ....i say it is not the responsibility of the state to raise the kids.....It is up to the state to educate the kids....i volunteer my kids over to the state as they are the one who tell me what to feed them....how to dress them....how often they should be in school.....if i am allowed to spank them or not.....so the looting is now the states responsibility too......they have taken all right away from the parents...i think it is now the responsibility of the state to at birth...take my children away from me and to raise my children in the fashion to which they seem to know what is best for them.....as i too remember a time when you could actually leave your keys in the car and your doors were left open for the safely of children who might need a place to turn for help.

Since the government has began raising the children the state has become a cesspit of hate and criminal activity.....parents are to afraid to imbue any kind of discipline on their children as in might send them to jail....and now the state is banning people from going on holiday outside of school holidays....so now the people who can barely afford to go on holiday are now being told they will only be able to go when prices are at the highest....way to go.

If i had my way i would take all my children out of school and do nothing but travel to give them a global education....maybe this is their reasoning.....yet another way to separate the sheep into herds so that we hate even more......if i found my children looting i would take them and bash their little backsides till they would never want to do such a thing again....and then i would end up in jail for disciplining them.....yup.....thanks government for creating hell on this planet.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
I have a word here that instills a looting nature....and brings out the worst in people...RECESSION ...

Bollocks. This time last year, despite being in work, I struggled to put food on the table. Doesn't mean I have to resort to theft.

IT is wrong that people would rather rob than help those who could have been injured in the incident....but this is the society as a whole that the downfall of the economy is creating is it not....All is going to plan....make the people hungry.....take away all hope of a future....step on each other....and then make out how evil we have become...then you can take these same disillusioned youth....fill the armies....and start a war.

Again, bollocks. The economy is ticking over, it isn't great but it's hardly a "downfall". And what War is it they want to swell the ranks of an Army they have JUST CUT?

Looting is wrong...and it is a shame people are being brought to tis...but raising the young has been taken out of the parents control....It is now the responsibility of the state....

No it isn't. Parents have the legal authority until the child hits 18.

.Since the state interferes so much in individuals lives ....

Does it? I don't notice this "interference". Do you even live in the UK?

i say it is not the responsibility of the state to raise the kids.....It is up to the state to educate the kids....i volunteer my kids over to the state as they are the one who tell me what to feed them....how to dress them....how often they should be in school.....if i am allowed to spank them or not.....

Bollocks. You can choose how to educate your kids, you can choose what they wear, what they eat. You can even spank them. What deluded world do you live in where you think different? I am betting you're a Yank, actually...

so the looting is now the states responsibility too.

Why?

.....they have taken all right away from the parents..

No, they haven't. If you really think this, don't have kids. But, again, I reckon you're actually not from the UK and are placing you're own countries nonsense coupled with you're own deluded world view onto this situation.

parents are to afraid to imbue any kind of discipline on their children as in might send them to jail....

Bollocks. I discipline my kids all the time. Not with a spanking, mostly, but with other punishments. Still not in jail and my kids are doing well.

and now the state is banning people from going on holiday outside of school holidays....

No, they're not.

so now the people who can barely afford to go on holiday are now being told they will only be able to go when prices are at the highest....way to go.

Rubbish. You can take your kid on holiday whenever you like, but do expect questions from the local authority if you went during term time. Only last year, my daughter missed 3 days of school as she was going to France with her mum. The Head made a small fuss, but that was that.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill
reply to post by Justwork

geography is not your strong point is it ? coventry is near birmingham , not the north .
i know that a lot of the southern people think that anywhere beyond watford gap is the north

As far as I am concerned, Coventry is in the North. Quite clearly, you know nothing, since not all Southerners live in London, but even if they did, name 5 good reasons why anyone should give a toss about anything outside of it? There is nothing of any worth or value in the North, everything I want or need is down south, as is all the money and the best people.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
--double post--
edit on 14-3-2012 by Justwork because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

and now the state is banning people from going on holiday outside of school holidays....

Originally posted by stumason
No, they're not.

so now the people who can barely afford to go on holiday are now being told they will only be able to go when prices are at the highest....way to go.

Originally posted by stumason
Rubbish. You can take your kid on holiday whenever you like, but do expect questions from the local authority if you went during term time. Only last year, my daughter missed 3 days of school as she was going to France with her mum. The Head made a small fuss, but that was that.

I really hate to have to interrupt, your points are extremely good and well made, but I'm afraid that person is right, they are going to be banning taking your kids on holiday during term time soon.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join