It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its official: Im an Empath......how about you?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonyWarp
so much pseudo-science...

Congratz OP
you discovered ... TA DAAAA .... Human emotions

wonderful, there is so few people who discover and can read emotions, must be an incredible adventure !!!

*facepalm*

You'd be referring to Sympath here...FYI...
'Reading' peoples' emotions/states, is available to all...

'Empath'...is whole different kettle of fish...relates to actually feeling/hearing/experiencing others' emotions/states...
...when truly empathic, it is exemplified by certain characteristic behaviours (of which, quite a few have been noted)...

A99

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Anybody can learn to read people, I'll be impressed when you can read past emotions and feelings from the place where they occurred. If you can you might be able to make some money from some scientists, assuming they don't cheat you out of it.

Ever walk into a house or a room and get a strange feeling? Could be something, could be nothing.

If your talking about picking up residual emotion from when someone was there, but is no longer around? Then yes I can do that to an extent. Almost like a mood that lingers in the area after someone is gone.

People do not fully realize how strong emotions can be, and the amount of energy dispersed just to make them. I can even pick up on the dead if that makes sense...only in a emotional light though. If they died with a lot of emotion and are still lingering around a structure in a type of haunt if you will. I can pick up on that presence.

Anyone can read the emotional state of someone just be observation, and some posters are correct about that single aspect...however.....what most empaths do goes well beyond that. That is what seems to be misunderstood. Pseudo science or not...I have found no physical explanation or scientific for that matter that can currently explain why I can do what I can do.

When some of you skeptics come up with a idea on why that is, and what to properly call it other than being psychic...let me know. Until then.....I yam what i yam.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

I have a Third Job where I have used a technique that has been long taught way before the movie came out.
INCEPTION. It is not like anything you would have seen in the movie but rather the PLANTING of a Concept or Idea in a persons mind through association of many things both spoken and unspoken.

The target individuals Conscious Mind will not pick up on it if a person is good at this but that persons Subconscious Mind WILL. It will grow like a seed planted and the water and soil are provided by the other persons ability to read and know EXACTLY WHAT TO SAY OR NOT TO SAY...as well as when and to be able to do this to an extent where the Target Individual feels that what I am trying to achieve is THEIR OWN IDEA...I must use other instances and circumstances that randomly occur instantaneously in a manner that is so quick and leaves no possibility in the Target Individuals mind that it could have be prearranged...that it actually ENFORCES this concept or idea to a point that they would FIGHT against anyone offering another concept or idea.

This can be done even with the most Brilliant of People as they tend to have EGO'S that will not allow them to believe that they are being manipulated or that a person of their Mental Capacities could possibly be PUSHED without the slightest clue that this is happening.

Once the Inception of a concept or idea has grown to this level as a False Realization within that persons mind...even if told it is happening...they will hold on even tighter and it will be so ingrained into their own psyche that NOTHING will be able to remove it.

I know this sounds bad...but I have rules that I abide by and Inception can be accomplished upon even an Enemy as they also have Ego's that will not allow themselves to realize that it is happening to them. Thus it has it's UP SIDE in that Violence can be averted by implanting a thought. I will not do this to create Violent action.
Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

To be blunt...yes I am an empath, and there is nothing strange about it. Some of us realize our capabilities while others don't for various reasons. The moment I saw this thread, I was led to it because of what I believe applies to myself. There was a Star Trek episode called, "The Empath" which was about a woman from another planet who literally absorbs another person's pain and feelings. (1968 season III). When I watched this episode as a youngster, I was so intrigued with what I had viewed and realized its' truth in my own life. I literally feel anothers' emotions "straight through my heart" in particularly moving situations. I do not feel gifted or unique, because I believe we are all endowed with the DNA code for it. The difference lies in our awareness of such a gift.

A little note: It ("The Empath") was not without controversy and was one of a handful of episodes of the series deliberately not screened in the United Kingdom by the BBC due to its perceived disturbing contenten.wikipedia.org...
edit on 24-8-2012 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Don't believe i saw inception..but i understand what your saying and can relate....I was not always a nice guy...and before I understood fully what it was I could do, I used it for something more sinister out of personal spite or motivation.

Since then I have come full circle and fully am aware of my capabilities. So much so that I have to walk a line of neutrality at all times. It is the same reason I do not get involved in others pain, and I will not work for people looking for answers...usually those answers in the raw truth of it are still generally unaccepted for the same reasons you outline...ego.

Alas I have become a recluse of sorts, and try not to interact with society if I can help it.

Im afraid I would have to agree with you in all aspects...your right as rain.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by elrem48

Mmmmm yes...I remember that episode....

And quite true, some are born with the switch on....and others have it turned on later on in life for whatever reason. Mine was turned on since birth, and just got severely amplified when I was young due to trauma I experienced. I attribute it mostly though to my birth. I am a twin, I weighed under 4 lbs at birth and have a few physical abnormalities bone wise (built like a silver back gorilla). That and I believe it was passed down, my great grandmother was full on psychic, and my great grandfather was a Scottish Sasquatch.

Wicked cool how that genetic thing works...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The way I look at things now is I have to watch myself in putting too much distance between others and myself. This is inherently not a good thing for a person. I deal with the Public on several levels and I find that allowing myself to become bitter because I find it hard to carry on a decent conversation that anyone else would be interested in...is bad for my mental state...So I post here! LOL!

Sometimes I find a few people that I enjoy very much talking to and there are some decent people here who can agree to disagree or help solve problems by putting forth Ideas.

Then there are those who are so ingrained in what they THINK they know that they will fight even the most stringent line of logic to a point they are making themselves look silly...all because they can't say...HEY! That could be right or...I could be wrong. If someone takes the time to prove me wrong and their Logic is undeniable or they provide a source that has veracity then I will thank them for opening my eyes. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Yes, I am.

But the people who see themselves as separate from everybody else are very hard to like, because they step on others as a matter of routine.

Sooner or later they will see we are a human family and are in this experience together, but right now, they are like kids who hurt others because they dont understand any better.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Anybody can learn to read people, I'll be impressed when you can read past emotions and feelings from the place where they occurred. If you can you might be able to make some money from some scientists, assuming they don't cheat you out of it.

Well, what I would ask you is: how can I read people without seeing them? How can I "hear" something from another person I am speaking with over the internet?

For me, it's not something that requires proximity or even speech. Sometimes, I just hear what people are feeling and see/understand why they are feeling it.

I don't know how else to explain it?

I don't really see the point in asking for money for hearing other people's emotions - that is a strange suggestion from you. I, for one, feel like I am like this because I can help people when they are hurting. It isn't a burden or a special trick - it is a way to connect to others on a level that cannot otherwise be achieved in this superficial society I live in.

Ever walk into a house or a room and get a strange feeling? Could be something, could be nothing.

Except that I know exactly what it is, and Who.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere

While this method works for you, i have actually developed a method for turning down the emotion knob on myself to where it doesn't effect me so much. My ability is so intense that I cannot just turn it off. And the only drawback is I come off like a cold no feeling a**hole to others when I do this in public.

I am like this, too.

I can't tell you how many times people have called me a snob or stuck-up or aloof because I always keep a wall up. I don't do it on purpose, and it isn't something I even know I am doing. It's just how I learned to react to the world and to keep everyone else's emotions out of my own.

But I also adapted to be able to dissociate from my own emotion and yet still hear other people's emotions. This has helped me greatly in emergency situations and in some very negative life situations.

Unfortunately, at some point I started to think that my own emotion was worthless anyway... that my emotions didn't matter in the scheme of things, because I have always (since about age 3) been in charge of keeping other people calm and caring for other people. I just got the idea that nothing I want or need actually matters in the course of my life, that everything about my life is for the benefit of other people... so I just kept them off because that realization hurt me greatly. My pain, in turn, affected other people, and then they would come to me to ease their pain (which was caused by my pain), and then my pain became invisible. Eventually, I forgot how to feel anything. I stayed that way for seven years because I felt hopeless in that infinite loop.

I decided a couple of years ago to just be myself and not crush my own emotion for the benefit of others. I am learning to feel for myself again, but it is difficult, and it is frustrating to have other people criticizing me and trying to be manipulative and attempting to use my emotions against me as a form of control. It's interesting, because this is exactly why I learned to turn them off in the first place, yet now I am learning to field those manipulations without shutting down completely. Maybe I just needed to get to that point where I didn't care about other people's emotions so personally? I have no idea why I am even bringing this up other than that I don't have anywhere else to talk about it.

Anyway, yeah, it is difficult to find that perfect balance where one can still hear him/herself and yet acknowledge the internal existence of the emotions of others.
edit on 8/25/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

I have a Third Job where I have used a technique that has been long taught way before the movie came out.
INCEPTION. It is not like anything you would have seen in the movie but rather the PLANTING of a Concept or Idea in a persons mind through association of many things both spoken and unspoken.

The target individuals Conscious Mind will not pick up on it if a person is good at this but that persons Subconscious Mind WILL. It will grow like a seed planted and the water and soil are provided by the other persons ability to read and know EXACTLY WHAT TO SAY OR NOT TO SAY...as well as when and to be able to do this to an extent where the Target Individual feels that what I am trying to achieve is THEIR OWN IDEA...I must use other instances and circumstances that randomly occur instantaneously in a manner that is so quick and leaves no possibility in the Target Individuals mind that it could have be prearranged...that it actually ENFORCES this concept or idea to a point that they would FIGHT against anyone offering another concept or idea.

This can be done even with the most Brilliant of People as they tend to have EGO'S that will not allow them to believe that they are being manipulated or that a person of their Mental Capacities could possibly be PUSHED without the slightest clue that this is happening.

Once the Inception of a concept or idea has grown to this level as a False Realization within that persons mind...even if told it is happening...they will hold on even tighter and it will be so ingrained into their own psyche that NOTHING will be able to remove it.

I know this sounds bad...but I have rules that I abide by and Inception can be accomplished upon even an Enemy as they also have Ego's that will not allow themselves to realize that it is happening to them. Thus it has it's UP SIDE in that Violence can be averted by implanting a thought. I will not do this to create Violent action.
Split Infinity

Your job.? What do you work as, a CIA psy op.?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

I am Problem Solver. I come from a Military/"CIVILIAN" Family. I also Record, Play and Tour in a Signed Band and was BIG in the 1980's. I do not tour that much anymore but I just finished recording our new Disc and it will be released in October 2012. I also help run several Family Owned Companies as my Father used skills taught to Him from both College and skills he obtained from being an Officer in the Military...to turn a few small businesses into several Well Run and Profitable Companies.

I was offered a DEAL by a man who we consider Family..."UNCLE". He allowed me to get an Education, Tour in a Signed Band...and I was Trained as being a person who would be Touring all around the Globe worked very well with my THIRD JOB. I used to be in Scouting and as I turned 17 I started teaching Winter Survival. I also trained inner city youths to swim and learn about edible Plants and general Woodsman Tech.

By 19...I was teaching Winter Survival to MEN...as I was lucky to be born of two very smart parents...I was born with an ability to take tests and score very high. Back when I was 17....we had Military Recruiters right in our High Schools Guidance Dept. I scored very high on my SAT's, IQ...174, Social and Psychological Tests which showed that I had a certain...Moral Flexibility and thus I was Constantly Bugged as this was right after NAM and they were trying to Fill the Ranks. "UNCLE" saved me from the swarm and allowed me a GREAT AMOUNT OF FLEXIBILITY...in that I did not have to have issues with attendance as I was perfectly capable of Scoring High on a College Test...and I was allowed to Tour as my Band was Signed.

All that was required of me was to take part in Training and since I was in Top Physical Shape anyways...I was not required to go through any form of Drill Camp and since my Dad was Military and I had been shooting Weapons since I was 6...all that was required was a good deal of reading and a Weekend of Training of specifics. I AM A "CIVILIAN" and I salute NO ONE. I was even a Professorial Assistant for a Time...but since I could never be in one place for too long...the Professor...who I consider one of only a few Brilliant WITHOUT CONTROLLING EGO...Men that I have known...I had "UNCLE" pay him a visit and explain why I could not continue as he had plans for me getting a Doctorate.

I was a COLD WARRIOR and I still do Jobs from time to time but I am getting TOO OLD and since I have paid my dues...I can say no...but the two times I did say no...I WAS MISERABLE FOR THE ENTIRE TIME THE TEAM WAS GONE! I paced and kept looking at the clock calculating what time it was where they were...so now...I just go...but I am Training a Replacement. My Mom was also a "CIVILIAN" and she was the "CIVILIAN" secretary for a USAF General who ran a SAC BASE that was used to Fly Missions in TWO COVERT WARS which were the B-52 Carpet Bombings of Cambodia and Laos as the North Vietnamese were no longer using the HO CHI MINH Trail as we were bombing it night and day...so they were traveling South through Cambodia and Lao's. My Moms Base stored the NUKES and loaded up with Conventional Bombs and we Carpet Bombed Lao's and Cambodia as NIXON went on TV and LIED HIS ASS OFF!

I have seen and done things that are...incredible...but necessary. I am a Man of Peace and if I do my job right...everyone goes Home safe...even the people I have come to talk to...and that is my job...when everything turns to S#!% and we have a problem...I and my Team are sent in to RESOLVE the issue...with the RIGHT PEOPLE...as many times...people will pretend to be someone they are not just to get the CASH. The CASH must get to the people who have the control and it is my job to distinguish between the two. I am very GOOD at this and if we meet people who are all smiles and rays of sunshine...a BOMB is about to go off...if I a looked at with a look of DEATH in that persons eyes...I have FOUND who I am looking for. We have to convince them that IF they TAKE THE MONEY and they do not do what is in the deal...we will be back to collect. It is in this CONVEYANCE that pertains to THIS TOPIC. I must convince them 100% with NO DOUBT by means of Words, Body Language, Knowledge and another sense that is hard to explain...that if you CROSS US...YOU WILL DIE! But at the same time make them understand again with 100% certainty...that I do not desire for this to happen so if you take the Money...do not force Me and my Team to have to do this...because we will! I have been SHOT in the Chest at close range and if not for a High Tech Vest...I would be dead. On the ground I asked for my Rifle and used a Team Members body part to balance my Rifle and I ended the Threat. When some people think about a purposeful Death they say they cannot condone it...but that is only because they were not the ones lying on the Ground. SI

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
arent you guys just kidding yourselves? so you can relate to how someone is feeling, great! youre a nice person.
why stick a silly label on yourself?
i can read peoples emotions and have empathy, am i an 'empath'? no, of coarse not.
its just the latest fad for gullible kids on the internet, like indigo children and star seeds.
its a bit embarrassing dont you think?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321
arent you guys just kidding yourselves? so you can relate to how someone is feeling, great! youre a nice person.
why stick a silly label on yourself?
i can read peoples emotions and have empathy, am i an 'empath'? no, of coarse not.
its just the latest fad for gullible kids on the internet, like indigo children and star seeds.
its a bit embarrassing dont you think?

Well I must be someone who can see the future, too, because I've felt this way and talked about it for at least 25 years.

And, since it's the latest fad for gullible kids on the internet, there really was no point to your post. If it's just going to go away, why bother trying to insert sarcasm and an unfortunate sense of smugness into an otherwise unobtrusive thread?

But, to answer your questions:
1) No, I am not kidding myself. You should read through the thread. There is a difference between "reading emotions and feeling empathy" and actually hearing someone else's emotions, or being able to influence/reflect emotions from others. Feeling empathy on cue is not the same as being innately empathetic.

2) Humans love to categorize themselves. What silly labels do you stick on yourself, Kino321, in an attempt to define your being?

3) I am not embarrassed at all. As I've stated, I have felt this way for quite some time (significantly longer than many "kids on the internet" have been alive). I think it is interesting that there have been so many people in my life who have commented on my sense of "knowing their thoughts and feelings" without words. There's not much else to call it, other than psychic. But, really, 'psychic' is much more kitschy than 'empath'.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It is interesting for me to read this post, OP, because just a few nights ago I started putting two and two together in regards to my life and past experiences. The conclusion I came to, just like you, was after reading the explanation and personal stories of other empaths.I believe we are all born that way but eventually some learn to completely tune it out or shut it off. I did more research after the ask.com reading and came to the conclusion that I was an impaired empath. I don't have control over how much another persons magnetic field effects me when I am close to them. Especially if they are displaying serious emotion. It has become even more apparent since becoming pregnant with my second child. The babies energy has kind of boosted my ability into overdrive... or atleast this is what I feel is happening. I wonder what has happened that has suddenly tuned more people into this ability.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
Unfortunately, at some point I started to think that my own emotion was worthless anyway... that my emotions didn't matter in the scheme of things, because I have always (since about age 3) been in charge of keeping other people calm and caring for other people. I just got the idea that nothing I want or need actually matters in the course of my life, that everything about my life is for the benefit of other people... so I just kept them off because that realization hurt me greatly. My pain, in turn, affected other people, and then they would come to me to ease their pain (which was caused by my pain), and then my pain became invisible. Eventually, I forgot how to feel anything. I stayed that way for seven years because I felt hopeless in that infinite loop.

Reading this resonated strongly with me. Especially your point about about your pain effecting other people, causing them to come to you to ease their pain, thus crushing all of your own emotions away. Sometimes when I read posts like this I feel like I am reading a reflection of my own.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Psssssss what is your dealers phone number?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings

Originally posted by ottobot

Reading this resonated strongly with me. Especially your point about about your pain effecting other people, causing them to come to you to ease their pain, thus crushing all of your own emotions away. Sometimes when I read posts like this I feel like I am reading a reflection of my own.

Yeah, I would not be surprised if this is a very common occurrence, unfortunately.

I have only met one person in my life who just Let Me Be. I don't have high hopes of finding that again.

Anyway, though, I agree with you: I think we are all born with the ability to access a much greater range of perception than that which is commonly considered "normal". We are taught that there are only five senses, and anything else is just imagination or mental illness.

We get shamed and talked and ridiculed out of that range of perception, to the point that we scoff when other people state that they can still access it.

I think it is good that more people are starting to see that it's OK to feel/see/hear these things.

I think it is good that more people are starting to see that it's OK to be who they are.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
One thing I noticed, especially upon reviewing my past, is that quite often the people who where drawn to me where unable to distinguish what was drawing them to me, mistaking it for love when really it was most likely an addiction to the way I enabled them to feel after they opened themselves to me. Does that happen to any other empath's?

I still find it uncomfortable when complete strangers feel compelled to open up to me on levels they claim they do not open to others. But unfortunately I am unable to confront them, let them know how uncomfortable it makes me, because I fear that their negative response will overwhelm me. I try to avoid conflict at all costs. Even on the internet, I do not like to argue, because I often sense the actual intention or anger behind the words of those who argue with me. It can become too draining.
edit on 3/9/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
One thing I noticed, especially upon reviewing my past, is that quite often the people who where drawn to me where unable to distinguish what was drawing them to me, mistaking it for love when really it was most likely an addiction to the way I enabled them to feel after they opened themselves to me. Does that happen to any other empath's?

I've never thought about it like that before. But, you may be on to something with this.

That is definitely something I will think about.

For me, when I think about my past and people being "drawn to me", it seems more like they just wanted to be around me to say they were around me... instead of actually wanting to be there at that time With Me. If that makes sense...

I really didn't know what to do with that kind of attention, so I would just make up stories that I thought other people would want to hear. Mostly because I knew they wouldn't actually want to hear about my real problems and real pain. So, I just pretended to be carefree and happy.
I would listen to other people, but never actually say anything real or deep about myself.

I think, more than anything, people just want to be listened to. Listening is no longer considered an important skill. And, really, we who are "empaths" can Listen, just in a different way.

I still find it uncomfortable when complete strangers feel compelled to open up to me on levels they claim they do not open to others. But unfortunately I am unable to confront them, let them know how uncomfortable it makes me, because I fear that their negative response will overwhelm me. I try to avoid conflict at all costs. Even on the internet, I do not like to argue, because I often sense the actual intention or anger behind the words of those who argue with me. It can become too draining.
edit on 3/9/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

Yes, it is disconcerting sometimes, when you think about it from an objective perspective. But, I enjoy listening to stories from elderly people and children. It's just the stories from everyone else that bother me if I hear too many of them. I start to become apathetic and I stop caring about people. I start thinking negatively, like,"Why are you so worried about your stupid t-shirt? Who cares if you've seen someone else wearing it? It's just a shirt!" and then I start frowning and brooding and so on.

I used to be very non-confrontational. Like I said, I thought that my own feelings and personal boundaries didn't matter.

But, when you are uncomfortable, you NEED to stand up for yourself. That doesn't mean you have to be rude or angry. Just kindly interrupt and beg pardon that you must leave or change the subject.

I like to debate but despise arguing. When I debate, I do listen to emotion and I can always tell when the logic is replaced with emotion, so just steer away from the source of heat. Arguing, I pretty much just want to run away from. I used to just placate other people ("Yeah, ok, whatever.") so they'd leave me alone. But, again, if I don't stand up for myself and my needs, nobody else will. So, I started to. I find that people really hate it when they don't immediately get their way. Or, maybe it's just the people I know...

I shut off my emotions when I feel other people getting upset, and this is how I protect myself from becoming overwhelmed with the emotions of others. This is my default defense mechanism.

Other people have suggested building a wall of thought to shield yourself from that outside energy. I have done this as well, usually for spirits instead of actual living humans...

It is something that will take practice to learn and remember to do, but it would definitely be worth it in the long run.

I know what you mean about feeling amplified senses while pregnant. I think it is probably something built into us for heightened safety awareness - survival of the baby is paramount, so we are hyper-aware of everything we are normally aware of, including the emotions of others. Just try to remember this and find a way to seclude yourself and do some breathing exercises next time you feel overwhelmed.

edit on 9/3/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join