Straight from the horses mouth, this is how you deal with cold callers, especially those from non-profit organizations:
1. Don't answer the phone if you don't want to talk. You might get called a few times, but hey just don't answer, it's no skin off my back (this
is if you can actually see the number, if not, then---)
2. Listen to who the caller is asking for. 99% of the time, we ask for a specific person, and if that person doesn't live there, we mark it as wrong
number. But NEVER hang up before you know who we are calling for, because if we don't get that out, you'll just get called again.
3. If you aren't interested at all in the phone call, then politely say (after hearing who we are calling for, of course) "Thank you, but we're
not interested. Please put us on your Do Not Call list.
" This is important...if you say anything else, like "Take me off your list" or "Put me
on your list" then we will play dumb and have no clue what you mean. You will then get called again. The law specifically recognizes "Do Not Call
list" so it's vitally important to say that.
4. You will get called by non-profits if you are on the National Do Not Call list. Non-profits are exempt, so just follow # 3 and you won't get
5. If you are a polite person and want to at least listen to what we have to say, then great. We don't always have to make a sale...sometimes a
polite conversation is as far as I need to go. Polite people won't get pushed as hard as someone who is an a-hole the whole time. Again, if you just
aren't interested in the product/service/survey, then just say you aren't interested. It's pretty simple.
6. And remember this point...telemarketers/survey takers/salespeople are humans too, with a job that they hate. The job sucks because it's the only
thing around, and people act like a-holes to us all day long. A polite person makes my day, even if they don't buy from me.
Honestly, you never know who the person is that is calling you. They may be an extremely polite person, and you might just enjoy the conversation. If
you don't wanna talk, fine, just follow the steps above, but please don't be a jerk to them. Telephone sales are a rough job as it is, we know you
don't like it, and we really don't want to hassle you. Just be polite, and maybe the world will become a better place