It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It’s a dirty job: Police nationwide take on soaring Tide detergent theft"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If people like paying for an over-priced item (both in the store and on the streets) let 'em.

A fool is easily parted from his money...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I cut both, depending on market trends, no accounting for taste these days.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It is not a surprise to me at all. Just go to your local shady side of town, swap meet or flea market...a old grocery store parking lot, chances are there is someone selling tide, shaving razors and all kinds of "name brand" items like Pantene and lots of make up items.

These things are "luxury" in the sense lower income people usually buy the knock offs for less, but can get the "real deal" at the same price as the knock offs as long as they buy it out the back of somebody's car. I have lived in several lower income areas in the past and have seen this for awhile now.

We always had guys selling DVDs and CDs out of their cars, and we had our tamales ladies selling tamales out of their cars too(those were homemade and delicious!) we also had guys selling puppies and computer stuff. it just depends on the neighborhoods you are in.

However, the tide thing is kinda funny.....why are they just now noticing the tide? What is it about tide? Maybe the folks at proctor and gamble are seeing a dip in sales because it is too darn expensive now for even middle class people to buy and now they are trying to crack down?

I know when I do my shopping, if I know my budget is tight, one of the first sacrifices I make is my detergent and my bath products.....when you only got so much money and it's 14 dollars for razors or 6 dollars....and you need to buy food....well....yeah....go figure.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

No. The article says $10 to 20 bucks per bottle. And yeah - should detergent really costs that damn much? I mean really?

reply to post by Mijamija

Yeah, I used to live on the edge of shady and I couldn't even keep potted plants on my patio - they would get stolen and then sold at the local flea market.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

You slay me.

And I did buy Tide this month. Go figure...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Tide? Really? Now I KNOW I woke up in another dimension.

Reminds me of a story from my family's home state of Maine a few years ago. Grocery stores across the state had a rash of "bread squeezings." Quite literally, a guy would go to a grocery store and squeeze every loaf of bread in the store so it could no longer be sold. He would rush out and an hour later another man would walk in, pick up some bread and go to the service counter claiming that the clerk at the checkout squeezed too hard on the bread, and that he didn't want it anymore. The second guy would pick up a few bucks for a few thousand dollars worth of damage. They weren't too bright, as they got picked up 3 days after they started. Haha.

But TIDE? Really? I wonder if it's from all those "Loads of Hope" commercials? Somehow, maybe impoverished people think that Tide will bring them up in socio economic status. Even at a largely inflated rates. Wow.

-TS
edit on 13-3-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

Are you serious? That is an all time low.

I got my baby stroller taken and pretty sure it was either stolen or sold. My husband had his CDs taken from his car and later found some of them in a flea market, he knew they were his because when he opened the cd cover there were sections of lyrics that he had underlined!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I really though this story was from the onion,lol . I still cant get over it.
Its not bath salts. Bath salts are not really bath salts but chemical drugs. They
would not clean anything.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Let me break it down for y'all,.....I need crack but I don't have any money right? I go steal some Tide from the grocery store, Home Depot, etc,......with me still?,.......I then either (a) go to the crack dealer and trade a $20 bottle of Tide for $10 worth of rock,......(b) return it to another grocery store or Home Depot and get my $20 back to give to the crack dealer for my rocks,......There is no chemical in Tide that you can make drugs from. It's traded for drugs or stolen and returned for a cash refund because,....you guessed it,.....It's freakin Tide! Who's going to question you? Reciept? Don't need one,.....it's Tide for Christ's sake.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's the tricky bit about hyperinflation/price gouging. You can get away with it to a certain point, but eventually, folks will just start walking out with whatever they need. Most retailers aren't set up to have armed guards policing the detergeant isle. Likewise at the gas pump.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

There ya go. Now that makes the most sense.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I was in the grocery store the other day talking to the woman at the main desk about things that are stolen. She said one of the things that is stolen so much that they had to start keeping them behind the counter and people would have to ask for it were trash bags. We have to buy special bags to have our trash picked up and those are the ones being stolen. That kind of surprised me. Maybe they will have to start keeping the Tide behind the counter too.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I bet it freaked out these Tide lovers when track workers
at the 2012 Daytona 500 used loads of it to clean up 200+
gallons of Kerosene. Driver Juan Pablo Montoya
slammed into a helicopter jet engine with a 250 gallon tank,
that's towed by a truck. (It's used to clean up debris and to dry)
They were using tons of it, right out of the boxes !
How much do they keep on hand?

Hmm. Maybe NASCAR is behind this...haha.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Kind of makes me think what is the chemical composition of Tide? Can it be manufactured into something else? I know in Aus they had to regulate Cold and Flu Medicine for reasons I won't state because of Forum T&C's and rightly so. The point I am making is that broken down what is the chemical composition>? We don't have tide in Aus otherwise I would hypothesize further.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I don't buy the barter idea, the bottles are too big and heavy

why not use stolen acne cleanser ? my dauthers stuff is expensive and small and easy to hide

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I've been offered a strange variety of things while walking around downtown at night.. drugs of all kinds, sex, watches, even knockoff purses. Never tide laundry soap. I've never even heard of someone stealing soap before, let alone an underground market.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You guys seems to fail at math. What does Tide contain? Borax. What is Borax used for? Cleaning Fluoride poisoning from your body, every American is Fluoridated through the tap water, lowering their IQ and Cognitive functions(among other things) so... This would be a pretty good cure.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Sounds like a great story to plant/exaggerate to sell more Tide.

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConfusion
Sounds like a great story to plant/exaggerate to sell more Tide.

Exactly.
Like 0.01 percent of others, I'm seeing it as an artificially crafted viral marketing campaign.
All based on one single solitary "news" article.

Incidentally, its also been debunked by other police...

Police say reports of nationwide spike in Tide thefts doesn't wash.
...say they have not seen a specific rise in stolen Tide detergent.
Retailers, meanwhile, also are denying reports of a new spike in stolen Tide products.

link

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I heard UN is already setting a plan of sending detergents to US.

I really like the fragment about Tide as street currency, Jug of tide for crack?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join