It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It’s a dirty job: Police nationwide take on soaring Tide detergent theft"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
www.thedaily.com...

Law enforcement officials across the country are puzzled over a crime wave targeting an unlikely item: Tide laundry detergent.

Theft of Tide detergent has become so rampant that authorities from New York to Oregon are keeping tabs on the soap spree, and some cities are setting up special task forces to stop it. And retailers like CVS are taking special security precautions to lock down the liquid.

One Tide taker in West St. Paul, Minn., made off with $25,000 in the product over 15 months before he was busted last year.

“That was unique that he stole so much soap,” said West St. Paul Police Chief Bud Shaver. “The name brand is [all] Tide. Amazing, huh?”

Tide has become a form of currency on the streets. The retail price is steadily high — roughly $10 to $20 a bottle — and it’s a staple in households across socioeconomic classes.

Cripes! What does this say about the state of our nation? That we're dirty or desperate? LoL! BTW, the 1% still use the dry cleaners.

I really can't believe it's come to this. It's like some twisted Mad Max but I guess when gas gets $5 bucks a gallon they'll start jacking that just as brazenly too.

I wonder has anyone seen Tide being sold on the streets? I can't even believe I just typed that sentence...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
How do you make it out of the store with a big jug of tide???

Must be employees stealing it or something... How could security cameras not catch people putting a gallon of tide down their pants?

Cant say ive had anyone trying to sell me tide off the black market

EDIT: Went through and read the whole article... Guess it answers my question

Most thieves load carts with dozens of bottles, then dash out the door. Many have getaway cars waiting outside.

edit on 13-3-2012 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We are no longer swirling around the bowl.

We are at the glug, glug glug and no one has a clue.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

That's bizarre even by my weirdo standards.

The "why" of it boggles me. There are how many other brands of laundry soap on the shelves with the Tide. Is there some ingredient the other soaps lack that make Tide useful for some nefarious purpose other than cleaning your clothes?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Just out of interest, does anyone know why this particular brand? Is it particularly good for cutting with drugs, for example? There must be some sort of logical explanation for it.......

Mind you, it would be funnier if it was a mass outbreak of soap addiction!

ETA:

Msfitte, see you beat me to it!
edit on 13-3-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

The article asserts that it's the most popular and easily recognizable brand so it's easy to market on the streets. Wow, that sentence makes it sound so interesting...yet we're talking about detergent.

Does this make the collapse official?

reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I guess people better be careful who they buy their soap from...
edit on 13-3-2012 by KillerQueen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
What the hell? Now I really know I have slipped into an alternate dimension..... doodoodoodoo doodoodoodoo
edit on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:23:17 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It's nearly the most expensive so it has a good market on the streets. I wonder what they cut it with?? I really figured it was the NASCAR crowd after that cleanup at Daytona

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Greetings:

CNN just ran the story - AGAIN!

Good thing us preppers have a warehouse of ONLY Tide - as we saw this coming long ago.

Pssst... wanna buy a a watch?

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I wonder has anyone seen Tide being sold on the streets? I can't even believe I just typed that sentence...

Beyond my wildest dreams.
I am a tide hoarder. Always keep an extra bottle or two. Is my security blanket. I don't know and don't ask! When the SHTF I will be sitting pretty.
Now I am going to get paranoid about protecting my stash. I have not seen any black market Tide, yet.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hmmm, there has to be something more to this...

Everybody steal tide...? Really?

If I needed detergent that bad, I wouldn't steal tide, it would probably be something else. Somebody, SOMEWHERE across the country would have as well..

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Just had to say " LOL " Wow. I guess those tide commercials(er.brainwashing) are really working!

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
One Tide taker in West St. Paul, Minn., made off with $25,000 in the product over 15 months before he was busted last year.

I cant believe that with all that soap he didn't make a clean get away

sorry but it had to be done

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by msfitte

That was my first question. There has to be a side use for it. Cut drugs, making drugs, ( maybe this is what they make that new bath salts out of, just joking.) Something.

I think it would be to much for my mind to handle to find out we have fallen to a point that there is a black market for name brand detergent to a point where it was worth stealing it. Really,,,,,,,has it come to that. People scare me.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I work in a retail environment. Mostly what occurs with theft of any product is they return it to a different store to get a refund. Even if it is credit issued (which is most likely without a reciept) they still get "free money" to purchase whatever they need/want.

Tide would be able to be returned at almost any retailer.

I have not noticed an increase in tide returns though, so, I think it may have a alternate use for it.

Blend57

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Cops there reportedly call Tide “liquid gold,” and came across a big stash of detergent during a recent drug sting. Police believe a common motive for stealing the soap is raising money – or barter – for drug habits. “They’ll do it right in front of a cop car — buying heroin or methamphetamine with Tide,” Detective Rick Blake of the Gresham Police Department, in Oregon, told The Daily. “We would see people walking down the road with six, seven bottles of Tide. They were so blatant about it.”

xfinity.comcast.net...

It appears that with police being able to track money that Tide is being used more as a barter item for drugs.
Guess it gives new meaning to the term "money laundering".

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Greetings:

Pretty funny, considering it comes from a member of the "Michigan unwashed" - a segment of the lumpenproletariat hiding out in Ann Arbor, of all places.
Nothing like hiding in plain sight ... we remember you guys from the turbulent '60's.

However, we have it on good accord that this is nothing more than another brilliant marketing scheme cooked up by none other than Auburn University Club guru and fellow Rabun Militia member Bucky Ayers and his “Tide” band of Merry Pranksters with the illustrious David Higdon of NASCAR marketing, and a couple of other “marketing whizzes.”

Ebay has noticed an upsurge in Tide-related memorabilia, especially Tide-branded caps and die-cast replica cars. “Crimson Tide” is riding on the coattails of this popularity, for sure. (The human mind is a magnificent thing.)

"Daytona 500 saved by Tide detergent," said BusinessInsider.com. "Of course a sponsor saves the day."

Alabama Crimson Tide Team Logo Car Magnet

Alabama Crimson Tide Liquid Soap Pump

Apparently, this item is now out of stock. Go figure.

Evidently, well-lubricated by a keg of Heineken, Bucky and friends were watching NASCAR track workers using Tide (yes the same family brand many consumers use to wash their dirty clothes), to clean the track during a two-hour delay in the Great American Race at Daytona.

Fox even had a shot of the product -- with its distinctive bullseye logo -- during the telecast and Bucky boisterously exclaimed, [color=Salmon]“If we could somehow capitalize on this free millions of dollars in advertising...”

When the race resumed, Matt Kenseth took the checkered flag.

Tide is not currently a NASCAR or Daytona sponsor, said P&G spokeswoman Sarah Pasquinucci in a statement: "We were excited to see that Tide helped save the race last night."

Somehow, by mouth-to-ear or, more likely, through Twitter, the word got out to start a run on Tide, to attempt to garner MSM coverage, as TPTB are looking for anything to keep people’s attention way from the real issues - gas prices, the economy, unemployment.

The stealing bit came about as a “spontaneous outburst” when the mere sudden movement of substantial amounts of Tide did not attract enough attention. Rumor has it that money changed hands before the “spontaneous” outbreak...

Our one question still remains: [color=Cyan]How does a thief wielding a shopping cart full of Tide outrun store employees and load the contraband into a waiting getaway vehicle and make a clean getaway?

Instead of doughnuts, do the constables of police now get Tide to look the other way?

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I cut my Tide with Surf, it goes a lot further, and no one is any the wiser.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's the powder, correct, not the liquid soap?..

If so, there has been a lot of talk online about people snorting Bath Salt to get the same effects as harder drugs, so maybe the same with powder Tide?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join