It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Psychology? Do Children know?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
So, I get a call from the school to pick the child up, because she's is doing the ranting and raving, that she doesn't need school and this and that, all from a teacher making fun of her outfit. So, I pick her up and SHE suggests that I ground her. So, I said okay, you're grounded to your room for 2 hours. Minute we got home, she went to her room.

Did she play reverse psychology on me?

When kids suggest their own punishment is that like giving them what they want?

I think I just got had.

This child is smart.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
OMG the adults are on to us...
edit on 13-3-2012 by NotSmilingAtYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
So, I get a call from the school to pick the child up, because she's is doing the ranting and raving, that she doesn't need school and this and that, all from a teacher making fun of her outfit. So, I pick her up and SHE suggests that I ground her. So, I said okay, you're grounded to you room for 2 hours. Minute we got home, she went to her room.

When kids suggest their own punishment is that like giving them what they want?

I think I just got had.

This child is smart.

Or the reverse...the parent (acting parent in your case) is not so smart!

You have been had...I would suggest it is "chore time" for a couple hours!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Of course they know, they become masters of it by 3!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
ha ha! ya kids are smart aren't they!.
i never ever say they are JUST children! they are small humans and you cannot underestimate them!
i think your child feels safest in her room,and thats why she asked to go there. she knew she was in trouble,so instead of getting scoulded she used logic on you and picked her own 'punishment'!
i would have looked into why the teacher made fun of her,and if my child was at fault,well i always have housework to do!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Obviously, your kid is smarter than you, and manipulative, and you fall for it. Duh. What a sad story.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
If she didn't get into her teachers face, with the talk to the hand, I can do what I want attitude, I would of made her stay there. Man, she was ruthless with her teacher, with attitude. But I was like, when she gets like this, we need to calm her down. So, I brought her home. In the car on the way home, she was like "Am I punished now?". And I was like, "Yep."

I had her in such a good mood too.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Obviously, your kid is smarter than you, and manipulative, and you fall for it. Duh. What a sad story.

It's not her child. She's allowed to be surprised daily and will continue to be no doubt, plus the child has mahoosive issues. Give the woman a break.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

She wasn't wearing her school uniform.

She's my niece, not my child.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

If she didn't get into her teachers face, with the talk to the hand, I can do what I want attitude, I would of made her stay there. Man, she was ruthless with her teacher, with attitude. But I was like, when she gets like this, we need to calm her down. So, I brought her home. In the car on the way home, she was like "Am I punished now?". And I was like, "Yep."

I had her in such a good mood too.

Jeez...Manhater...you need a break away from this madness already!

Are you ever going to make them find their own place?

I mean...extending a loving hand only goes so far...and you have run out of reach room!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

By the first they are out. No If's, And's or But's, about it. Her mother had a meeting today but it was bumped to tomorrow, to find placement and discuss what they going to do with her. All four agencies are working on it, and promised me, that they will come up with something by the first. So, I just have to wait it out. Feels like forever.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

.....SHE suggests that I ground her. So, I said okay, you're grounded to your room for 2 hours. Minute we got home, she went to her room.

There is no reversal, in this scenario. So IF she was in fact attempting reverse psychology, she failed, because you did what she asked.

It is possible that she just wanted to be alone in her room, but if it had actually been reverse psychology, then it would have gone something like this:

"I don't care how you punish me. Do anything you want, but please oh please oh please do not send me to my room."

Brer Rabbit was a sly little trickster.

It's kinda long. I actually left out most of the beginning....

............[color=73DAFA]"I'm gonna kick the stuffin' out of you," Brer Rabbit said and pounced on the Tar Baby with both feet. They sank deep into the Tar Baby. Brer Rabbit was so furious he head-butted the cute little creature until he was completely covered with tar and unable to move.

[color=FADEAC]Brer Fox leapt out of the bushes and strolled over to Brer Rabbit. "Well, well, what have we here?" he asked, grinning an evil grin.

[color=73DAFA]Brer Rabbit gulped. He was stuck fast. He did some fast thinking while Brer Fox rolled about on the road, laughing himself sick over Brer Rabbit's dilemma.

[color=FADEAC]"I've got you this time, Brer Rabbit," said Brer Fox, jumping up and shaking off the dust. "You've sassed me for the very last time. Now I wonder what I should do with you?"

[color=73DAFA]Brer Rabbit's eyes got very large. "Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

[color=FADEAC]"Maybe I should roast you over a fire and eat you," mused Brer Fox. "No, that's too much trouble. Maybe I'll hang you instead."

[color=73DAFA]"Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

[color=FADEAC]"If I'm going to hang you, I'll need some string," said Brer Fox. "And I don't have any string handy. But the stream's not far away, so maybe I'll drown you instead."

[color=73DAFA]"Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

[color=FADEAC]"The briar patch, eh?" said Brer Fox. "What a wonderful idea! You'll be torn into little pieces!"

[color=C3E3D0]Grabbing up the tar-covered rabbit, Brer Fox swung him around and around and then flung him head over heels into the briar patch. Brer Rabbit let out such a scream as he fell that all of Brer Fox's fur stood straight up. Brer Rabbit fell into the briar bushes with a crash and a mighty thump. Then there was silence.

Brer Fox cocked one ear toward the briar patch, listening for whimpers of pain. But he heard nothing. Brer Fox cocked the other ear toward the briar patch, listening for Brer Rabbit's death rattle. He heard nothing.

Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

[color=73DAFA]"I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox," he called. "Born and bred in the briar patch."

And Brer Rabbit skipped away as merry as a cricket while Brer Fox ground his teeth in rage and went home.

edit on 3/13/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

uniform!!!??? perhaps shes not a fan for conformity! if so,i'm with her!!!

when i was in high school the principle tried to make me cut my hair cause it was 'too long for the schools image'
so the next day i shaved it into a mohawk and went punk rock!
the hair is different today,but the attitude stuck!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Cute story.

Better not read that to her, she might get some ideas.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

She's definitely not a fan of conformity, that's for sure.
Principal didn't say anything about her outfit. So, he let her wear what she had on. If the teacher had left her alone, she would of had a good day today. I try to reinvigorating that but it doesn't seem to have sunk in with the teachers at all. Even had a parent - teacher conference about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Explanation: Hmmmm! I wonder just how smart this kid really is?

Personal Disclosure: Try this on them ...

Jail Warden: No listening. Do you hear me?

Homer: Uhhh, no?

Jail Warden: You just don’t learn, do you?

(Whip Cracking)

Homer: D’ OWWWWW!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So wait a minute, let me see if I understand this correctly. Your child caught an attitude with her teacher, and so you brought her home from school and gave her what she wanted. WOW!! Both my teacher and my parents would have beat my a$$ if I had done that. And if either of my two kids every do that, they better watch out, but then again, I teach them discipline and respect, so I don't think I need to worry too much about that.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Now she keeps asking every minute if she can come out of her room. And, I'm like "Nope, the more you keep asking, the longer it's going to be"

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Because in their room, they have everything they need. Quiet. No parents over their shoulder. They have a tv and a iphone. What more could a teenager need.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

She has no electronics in her room.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join