It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to announce rare earth trade case against China

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

You are totally not understanding the issue. It isn't about the enviroement or a nations right to do this and that, but as clearly stated by myself and others this is about the blatant cornering, take over and control of a vital market.

China only supplies 90% of the Worlds rare earths now because it drove everyone else out of business using cut price (almost slave) labour with no safety or environmental concerns to driveup their costs, all the while using an undervalued currency to boost this process further.

Now they dominate the market, they are restricting access to it and controlling the price.

They are breaking WTO rules.

As do the US and the EU at times, although in fairness when the US and EU do it it is over relatively trivial things such as weather Boeing/Airbus have had "subsidies" or "loans", not over the global supply of a critical set of minerals.

Again, you would be up in arms if OPEC said tomorrow "We're cutting Oil output 50% and US companies can't buy any Oil unless they relocate to Dubai.."

Same thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Justwork
You really are a nasty, hypocritical and awful nation.

I see your ignorance knows no bounds. Since you did not understand the article or the complaint, let me help you out.

The complaint has nothing to do with not getting the materials. The complaint is centered on China artificially driving up the prices. Thats the accusations by the EU / US / Japan. China responded by stating its because of environmental issues etc.

Since no resolution was reached between the countries involved, a complaint is filed with the WTO to arbitrate and if necessary, issue a ruling based on the complaints on whether or not a country, in this case China, is in violation or no.

As far as your comment about the US - I suggest you actually educate yourself on this topic, as well as Cuba's, before making a claim. That way you won't be "crying foul" over facts you apparently aren't familiar with. Check the blind hatred at the door and learn and stop seeing only what you want while ignoring the rest that doesn't support your position. Stop making claims that are NOT present in the op.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

China can choose to artificially raise or lower the price of anything that comes from its nation as it chooses, just like you choose to depose democratically elected governments for ones that favour your economy. You just don't like it when your tactics are used against you.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
and what do we/china do when its all gone?
they/we should limet the use of it.
look about you! see how much tec we have!!!
and in 5 or less years it ends up in the bin!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by xuenchen

10 bucks says Obama will apologise, give up Wyoming to China, and blame Bush.

Seriously, I am doubtful on Obama's foreign relation skills.

Obama will be the first to blink, but then play it as a victory!
(Yay! They let us keep Cheyenne and Laramie!)

edit on 13-3-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Breezer, I have $10 in pennies, still, and say Obama is pushing an issue as to cut a main artery in the American balance of economy...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Let's share this with all of Obama's green energy advocates who have been creeping around the threads here lately defending the collapse of the solar companies who received govt. handouts. Our govt knew all about the Rare Earth market dominated and manipulated by China when the checks were written to Solyndra et.al.

Why is Obama playing this card now? Day late and a dollar short... China has been ramping up for years and now controls 97% of the rare earths. China also has $34 billion to hand out from the China Development Bank. We cannot compete with that. Although Obama likes to think that he can...

Proper planning prevents piss poor performance..... Drill Drill Drill you moron (obama) Actually, Obama plans to drill in Africa not America. He's gotta kick it back to his Kenyan Luo tribes people!!

[color=cyan]*****

Bingo !

Obama is covering his dirt like a dog's hind legs.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I just love it! It's like watching an idiot get taken by a hustler using "the three shells game" over and over, and every time all he does is turn and complain to everyone around him that he is being cheated. Just because you created a game does not mean you will always be the best at it. The US started all the free trade wrangling and taking advantage of other nations, now when it happens to them they cry foul and they don't wanna play no more. Yeah the game is rigged, you are the ones who rigged it. "If You Don't Eat Your Meat you Can't Have Any Puddin!" "How Can You Have Any Puddin If You Don't Eat Your Meat!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I understand now.

If a country is too big to invade without all full out attack we sue!!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Boy, what a smart move. Piss off the main lenders that's keeping your country afloat. www.cbsnews.com...

Both countries would suffer, China is not the US's "loan shark" as is the common misconception.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Whats wrong usa goverment China to advance for you lot, But i guess that happens when you all ways invade country's of much less power then your own.

lol Funny stuff

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

That's why we have to stop Kony!! So we can go and rape Congo and Uganda of REE.

Evil Kony.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
Isn't there a shed load of this stuff in Uganda, coincidentally where Kony is hiding? Or am I imagining that? Lithium is it?

Gah, off to duckduckgo I shall go to answer my own question.

Missed your response.. But you are 100% correct. War in Congo is coming. I mean.. a bigger more obvious war.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Interesting article OP, but in my opinion just more meaningless political posturing.

I mean if we were really serious about China's control over rare earth minerals, wouldn't we at least threaten to pull out of Afghanistan, since we are really still their to make sure the country is safe so China can mine the rare earth minerals there.

Also, the lawsuit is meaningless, even if the US wins, what will keep China from turning around, saying fine, we will just take it off the couple of trillion you owe us and we know you will never pay.

In any case I don't see anything meaningful coming from this lawsuit and in the end it sounds just like more of the politicians specialty; meaningless hot air.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

That's why we have to stop Kony!! So we can go and rape Congo and Uganda of REE.

Evil Kony.

I am hearing rumors ....

The CIA is attempting to recruit Kony & Co.

They ARE looking for qualified, experienced mercenary contractors !!

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

China has the right to restrict export of any of its natural minerals and resources as it sees fit, I hope the Chinese retaliate as harshly as possible.

OK if you want to play that game. The U.S. can halt all Wheat sales to China too. Hell just stop buying anything and everything from China and watch them crumble. I guarantee they fall first.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
China should not show up and leave a note saying: heard this is what you did it in Georgia. Good luck with your crazy 'earther' case.

Those crazy earthers.

Seriously what a bunch of bull. So the wto is some type of international high court? Which high court handles nato war crimes.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Lord Jules because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

China can choose to artificially raise or lower the price of anything that comes from its nation as it chooses, just like you choose to depose democratically elected governments for ones that favour your economy. You just don't like it when your tactics are used against you.

It can also choose to join hte WTO and abide by the rules of that organisation........oh...look...it did that already....

In which case WTF is the surprise by everyone on here that the US can choose to point out when the rules are broken?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Justwork

No really they can't.

Please take the time to read and learn about the issue and how the WTO works. It would make this thread better by having people who know what they are talking about engaging in the discussion.

As was stated before there are already a number of I hate the US jealousy threads you are more than welcome to continue venting in.
edit on 13-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

This has been an issue long before today - It goes back to the 1990's with it increasing in the 2009 time frame. It just now made its way to the WTO after all parties were unable to successfully resolve the issues each side has.

In this case, the US / EU / Japan exhausted all options available outside of the WTO.

Obama is not trying to hide anything....

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The U.S. has crap loads of rare earth elements, plus Japan and the U.S. just found tons of it in the Pacific. The only reasons China's rare earth elements are being used today by a majority of the world is because the refining of rare earth causes massive pollution and the people of China are currently the world's slaves. China has every right to restrict trade and scale down production, but so does the U.S. as the WTO, WHO, 'WHAT?,' and 'WHY?' organizations are set up with our laws in place for us to get what we want.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Seems the communist obama does not like communist china controlling his pony cart.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join