It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiderwebs Blanket Countryside After Australian Floods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Spiderwebs Blanket Countryside After Australian Floods
(Nationalgeographic.com)

In an arachnophobe's worst nightmare, swarms of spiders spin webs in a bush in flood-ravaged Wagga Wagga, Australia, Tuesday.

After a week of record rain, floodwaters across eastern Australia have forced the ground-dwelling spiders—and at least 13,000 people—to flee their homes, according to Reuters.

The rampant webs blanketing vast stretches of Wagga Wagga are likely "a dispersal mechanism that allows [spiders] to move out of places where they'd surely be drowned," said Robert Matthews, a professor emeritus of entomology at the University of Georgia.

They've been spinning themselves their own life rafts, and in the process covering vast stretches of the countryside with their activity. At least this doesn't look to harmful to the local flora, unlike the pics in the linked related article, Trees Cocooned in Webs After Flood (also Nationalgeographic.com), where a number of trees died after being cocooned in webs following a Pakistan flood;

We probably haven't yet begun to see the extremes members of the animal/insect kingdom will go to, to survive climate change.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
If I've learned anything from TV and movies it's that only a flamethrower can save those poor souls now.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This is honestly kind of creepy o_o

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Ugh! I dont know whats more disturbing all the webs....or that that many spiders were on the ground before the flood....

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
this reminds me of a b-movie monster flick opener.
"huh, i wonder where all the spider webs are coming from"

*local sheriff*: "everything's fine folks, just the spiders trying to avoid drowning"

*huge spider comes out of nowhere*

*crazy paranoid guy with a shotgun*: "eat lead you eight legged freaks!!!"

that's definitely how it will go down.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
My bad, I didn't see that this was already posted... Mods please close or move

new topics

top topics

join