It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If science hadn't been oppressed for centuries - Where would be as a species now.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauny
Just a quick "what do you think" question.

Science wa oppresed for centuries, if it hadnt been, where, as a species, do you think we would be right now?
Les war? More like a Star Trek kinda way of life (Not a fan, the wife is thought)

Always wondered what we would be like had Science been able to really go for it all these centuries ago.

Cheers for any thoughts.

If only they read and considered the contents of Bible more carefully back then, where, as a species, do you think we would be right now?

because more than 3000 year ago it was already known that the universe had a beginning.

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”—Gen. 1:1.

The "beginning" we now know as the Big Bang Theory / The Singularity.

“Virtually all astrophysicists today conclude, that “the universe began with a big bang that propelled matter outward in all directions.” – reported U.S.News & World Report in 1997

... more than 3000 year ago it was already known the earth was "hanging upon nothing".

“He is . . . hanging the earth upon nothing.”—Job 26:7.

The "nothing" we now know as gravity.

... more than 2500 years ago it was already known the earth was round (circular).

“There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth,

Only when men started venturing outside the known world did they learn that the earth was not flat but round

... more than 2500 years ago it was already known the effects of infectious diseases and the need to quarantine.

“. . .All the days that the plague is in him he will be unclean. He is unclean. He should dwell isolated. Outside the camp is his dwelling place.” (Leviticus 13:46)

This is now the standard procedure in modern medicine.

And there are many more amazing things in the Bible that science has confirmed to be accurate - in a way science is now just catching up.

Imagine if mankind paid a little bit more attention to these ancient details, where, as a species, do you think we would be right now?

tc

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Science wa oppresed for centuries, if it hadnt been, where, as a species, do you think we would be right now?
Les war? More like a Star Trek kinda way of life (Not a fan, the wife is thought)

Always wondered what we would be like had Science been able to really go for it all these centuries ago.

Cheers for any thoughts.

You think science is still not being suppressed? You are mistaken. But no I don't think we would be any better or worse off.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo

Originally posted by Atzil321
This sums it up nicely i think, we would be further along than we can imagine.

That's a very misleading graph, for a number of reasons.

Please expand on that.
2nd line.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Cheers for any thoughts.

it's not so much suppressed, just the cutting edge stuff is classified.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Try harder

en.wikipedia.org...
The caricature of the period is also reflected in a number of more specific notions. For instance, a claim that was first propagated in the 19th century[46][47] and is still very common in popular culture is the supposition that all people in the Middle Ages believed that the Earth was flat. This claim is mistaken.[47][48] In fact, lecturers in the medieval universities commonly advanced evidence in favor of the idea that the Earth was a sphere.[49] Lindberg and Numbers write: "There was scarcely a Christian scholar of the Middle Ages who did not acknowledge [Earth's] sphericity and even know its approximate circumference".[50]

Other misconceptions such as: "the Church prohibited autopsies and dissections during the Middle Ages", "the rise of Christianity killed off ancient science", and "the medieval Christian church suppressed the growth of natural philosophy", are all cited by Ronald Numbers as examples of widely popular myths that still pass as historical truth, although they are not supported by current historical research.[51] They help maintain the idea of a "Dark Age" spanning through the medieval period.

Lying to get people to believe you? How christian of you

edit to add
listverse.com...
edit on 13-3-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I thought about this many times

I would like to think that things would look steampunk but be modern day tech.
and
there would not have been
Wham
New kids on the Block
Justin Bieber
Brittany Spears
Rebecca Black
Paris Hilton
Lohans
and the rest of the likes of them

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Where would we be as a species if science hadn't (theoretically) been held back?

It's been mentioned by others but I also agree, we'd all be dead. Science causes more harms than benefits, and many of the true benefits of science are kept from us. Not by the Christians of course, but by the drug/insurance companies and the government. I don't need to go into all the conspiracy theories here, but in short, you make a lot more money off of selling an expensive treatment than you do a cheap cure.

Science is likely to blame for not only the deaths caused by our advanced weaponry, but also every single chemical we now use in our foods and products that are causing cancer. Seems like everything in your house causes cancer nowadays.

Would science have eliminated the need for slavery because of an early advancement of technology including the industrial revolution? No. To believe so is naive. The slave trade is alive and well today with human trafficking still happening all over the world, even within America with it being the worst near our border with Mexico. Islam still promotes and makes use of slave trade, especially in Africa. Science has done nothing to stop this.

In fact, developed countries (using "science" and other modern means) have enslaved entire nations by making them work for pennies on the dollar while we continue to consume everything.

Science, just like anything else (religion included) can be misused for selfish and inhumane purposes.

edit: And thanks for the links David, that was very informative.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Mykahel because: see edit

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I don’t believe the world would be much different. The scientific revolution arguably started in the 1400s with Copernicus, but it advanced into modernity in the 1600s as a result of increased prosperity, technological progress and philosophical paradigm shifts. The Church did not come into serious conflict with scientific inquiry until the early 1600s (you know, Galileo and the heliocentric solar system), and by then, science was developing beyond the control of the Church. The Church may have hindered scientific progress somewhat throughout the 1600s and 1700s, but given the volume of scientific work produced in this time period, it would appear the Church was very ineffective.

Anyway, science would have stalled without certain technologies anyway. Computers, which are pretty necessary in modern science, developed within a certain historical context, and I don’t think early scientific progress would have sped the invention of computers along.

I hope that made sense

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Maybe humanity was just not ready for such a rapid growth until now. Humanity had to play all these mind games for centuries to 'grow' a psyche that can handle 'the internet' and all of today's media and innovations.

For an absolutely nonscientific look on this, who knows a group of advanced souls once came by and chose to stay on Earth for awhile, taking pity on our species, reincarnating here to educate. Wanting to change humanity in a few decades other souls intervened by slowing us down with religion and the deeper meaning of our existence where many people took up the challenge of learning about faith and the inner workings of oneself. Without that necessary growing phase we might have destroyed ourselves because the mindset from the generation at the time would not be able to handle things like the atomic bomb or seeking happiness in material substances like drugs.

Without the mystery of life and death and possible reincarnation, it has always been about survival of the fittest. There's a reason why religion was able to oppress science. If scientists at the time understood certain things which the religious probably did they could have used that to their advantage. I don't believe scientists know of this even today and it would be a shame if it was lost forever if religion ever disappears and no one would have at least a chance of learning what religion has but science doesn't and probably never will because of the road science has taken. Which is seeking happiness in the material but only there, using the material (like appliances, pharmaceuticals, botox or implants) to restore or sustain the sense of happiness instead of education/values or something immaterial like faith.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I personally think we would look like Futurama. Controversial issues like Stim Cell Research would have been come and gone and we would be reaping the benefits. What is right and wrong / what conflicts with Gods word usually interferes with any real progression. It's hard to excel as a race when a majority is mindless and not informed.

Where would we be if we weren't blowing each other up over religion, turning down scientific discoveries over religion, wasting precious time and brain cells on religion - We would be God instead of on our hands and knees blowing him.
edit on 14-3-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
We would be dead and the world would be a burnt out cinder. Or. The world would be a nightmare. The Roman empire might still exist. And possibly be a one world government. Or something like it. Imagine if Nazi Germany had won WW2, conquered the entire world, and it was 2000 years later. Slavery would still be around. Life would be cheap. Euthanasia would be commonplace for the old, sick, and injured. Eugenics would be law. It would be a white Aryan world with the other races as subhuman slaves if they still existed.

Atheists like to think the world would be a paradise without religion. The problem is that all the higher concepts of human rights, nobility, and others such originated with religion. They simply wouldn't have existed in a world without it.

A world without the 10 commandments would not be a world you would want to live in. Think Star Trek mirror universe. Its the fear of judgment and fire that keeps a lot of people from being monsters.

edit on 16-3-2012 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainNemo

That's a very misleading graph, for a number of reasons.

I kinda like it myself. I like graphs, it brings meaning to a discussion, even if the graph itself is rubbish. Not saying this one is. Just like it masel.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Road to the multi-verse.
Family Guy
Season 8, episode one.

www.familyguyepisodes.tv...
LOVE IT !!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The graph IS very misleading. To suggest that scientific advancement actually remained constant through the Dark Ages? If anything it kept on declining with the growing influence of religion, right up until the beginning of the Renaissance.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Can anyone do a better Graph?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

We probably would, most importantly, understand every facet of how our brains work. Then we would have no reason to believe or buy into Far-flung conspiracy Theories or even God!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Maybe we would have destroyed ourselves right now! IMHO I believe that technology has not necessarily been such a good thing cause we may find we are destroying our world! Though i believe we have made great leaps socially but i also believe we still have a long way to go. I also believe we have stagnated socially since the 1960s and 1970s! If we don't start working on advancing ourselves socially, find a way to rid society of demoralizing corruption and stop all our destructive science experiments we will end up living in caves again!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Instead of a better graph i think everyone would be better served by getting the real definition for the "dark ages".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join