It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If science hadn't been oppressed for centuries - Where would be as a species now.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just a quick "what do you think" question.

Science wa oppresed for centuries, if it hadnt been, where, as a species, do you think we would be right now?
Les war? More like a Star Trek kinda way of life (Not a fan, the wife is thought)

Always wondered what we would be like had Science been able to really go for it all these centuries ago.

Cheers for any thoughts.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I remember reading that the steam engine was invented centuries upon centuries ago but for whatever reason didn't take off. Now imagine if it did, it would have jump started the Industrial Revolution a lot faster than the 19th century. If I can find the article or program I got this info from I'll post it.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
There would be no racism.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Good point

Imagine a world that didn't need to enslave itself because early on it figured out how to build and use machines, instead of using people as it's machines.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
alot of inventions need the requirements to be just right to be taken seriously and generally war is the main stimulus for research as they pay whatever the cost required when it gives a tactical advantage, so other than a few hundred years of the catholic church supressing anything more technical than 2+2=god we're pretty much where we should be and with the ability to communicate across the world in real time we're probably catching up

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by shauny

I remember reading that the steam engine was invented centuries upon centuries ago but for whatever reason didn't take off. Now imagine if it did, it would have jump started the Industrial Revolution a lot faster than the 19th century. If I can find the article or program I got this info from I'll post it.

It didn't take off because it wasn't profitable not because it didn't work. What's going to make more money people filling their cars with water or gas. The only criteria for a good invention in this world is that it makes money.
edit on 12-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Read on Copernicus and that says a lot right there. If it weren't for him people would still believe the world was flat.

But how does this all happen? The Egyptians knew the world was round, then Religion came into play and people starting believing the world was flat? Then religion tried to make people look crazy who voted otherwise. It's all part of the plan. The diverged people's knowledge for hundreds of years, because they know we can get to a point to where we all know too much. Then what happens? We stop believing in their B.S. stories and start wondering who is going to help us.

The government wants to make us all a fable like their stories. They want a small group of people making everything for them, and in return they will get a story that reminds them to obey their masters.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Oh yeah: Baaaaaaa Baaaa

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
simple...we'd all be dead.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I often wonder this myself. I personally think Nikola Tesla was the most important scientists in recent history to be heavily suppressed. If this didn't occur we would have had world peace for over 50 years and be a space bound race. we would have anti gravity crafts in mass "Publicly" Everything would be free and money wouldn't exist.

Too bad the Rothschild, Illuminati controlled slave system we live in prohibits such advances

A more interesting question I believe is. After dethroning such scum. How long would it take to reach that described utopian society
? my bet is 1 year.... All the suppression destroyed in 1 year. Maybe a bit longer for older/ more stubborn peoples paradigms to shift. but meh adapt or die

edit on 12-3-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I would think we would be much more advanced in creating cures for illnesses and diseases. As well as be able to grow food without herbicides and pesticides, anti cancer causing agents and stuff. Perhaps we would also be able to travel more out into space to examine the universe better. Possible even be intelligent enough for aliens to want to contact us? And maybe we would of designed more efficient available reliable fuels. We could of even be war free, wouldn't that of been nice? I suppose the options would been endless.
edit on 12-3-2012 by shell310 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny
Just a quick "what do you think" question.

Science wa oppresed for centuries, if it hadnt been, where, as a species, do you think we would be right now?
Les war? More like a Star Trek kinda way of life (Not a fan, the wife is thought)

Always wondered what we would be like had Science been able to really go for it all these centuries ago.

Cheers for any thoughts.

Science is still oppressed as well as technology and has been for about a century at least. Wonder what science would have been like? I do, I wonder what of Tesla and Radiant Energy, I wonder about free energy and why we still don't have it? Answer: greed, power, and control. What about medical inventions - the creation of treatment is more profitable that a cure so we don't really need new technology, systems working fine.

edit on 12-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
A work colleague of mine the other day had the absolute gall to claim that "the Catholic Church has done more for scientific advancement than any other organization in history" and wanted me to refute the claim.

Took about 5 seconds. And three of those were to make sure I spelt "inquisition" properly in my email.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This sums it up nicely i think, we would be further along than we can imagine.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
A better question is where would we be today if science; especially in the field of space exploration, wasn't being suppressed right now by governments through lack of funding. And, yes science is still being suppressed, just now the authorities don't have to burn them at the stake, they just have to cut their funding and without funding even the greatest of scientific ideas remain on paper.

I would wager that if NASA would have received even half of the money the US spends on war and defense, that we would already have science lab/ colonies on the moon and mars and we would probably already be laying the foundations of city and factory complexes as well.

Not to mention the host of innovations we probably would have already made in material productions and other things, stemming from being able to actually research and develop in a lower gravity and more chemically pure and controlled environment.

Of course that is just my opinion on the matter though.

*Edit I tried to find the page at NASA that lists many of the amazing planned projects that were mostly canceled due to lack of funding, but though I have seen the page before months ago, apparently google doesn't think it exists anymore( good search engine?, my backside) Anyway instead I did find this article on what would have happened if we would have continued with our proposed path into space, through the apollo missions.

What If NASA Hadn't Canceled the Apollo Program?

Another mission that never took off, but had been in the works for years, was a manned flyby of Mars using Apollo and AAP hardware. Slated for the mid 1970s, the quest's four-man crew would conduct telescopic observations and run experiments on themselves to learn about the health effects of prolonged weightlessness. The astronauts would arrive back at Earth about a year later. [Would Humans Born on Mars Grow Taller Than Earthlings? ] Other proposed journeys included dual-planet flybys of both Venus and Mars, as well as launching probes to collect samples for return to Earth. With these proposals, "there was the idea of creating a bridge – a little bit like Gemini was for Apollo – for much more complex Mars landing missions in the 1980s," Portree told Life's Little Mysteries.

Wow manned missions to land on mars by the 1980s......seems like we are years behind and dollars short...all hail the new authoritarian suppressors of science and humanity, with governments like we have, the human race has no need for enemies.

edit on 12-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 12-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: Addition

edit on 12-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 12-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: addition

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Scientific progress is fairly neutral. I guess you could say that any progress is 'good' in a certain sense, but novel advancements may be used for good or evil.

So where would we be if the church hadn't hindered science? Most likely we'd be more technologically advanced, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a higher quality of living.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
No have nots....no war....half of our solar system would be populated with human colonies....free energy....cars that could travel for years without refueling....no need for psycho cops.....or psycho politicians.....or psycho religions.

A galactic utopia. "You can call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." - Lennon

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Its the catholics to blame.
The dark ages?
That was their doing, any one who invented anything was called a witch or wizard and promptly put on to a bonfire. Or they were told to hold a red hot iron. If you are inocent, then god wont allow you to be burnt.

edit on 12-3-2012 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ouh...misread the question...well...we'd be in #ing paradise compared to this primitive #.
edit on 12-3-2012 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
This sums it up nicely i think, we would be further along than we can imagine.

That's a very misleading graph, for a number of reasons.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join