It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Government says Texas voter photo ID law discriminates against Hispanics. Huh?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You all may have seen this on the news this morning:

SOURCE NEWS STORY

The Justice Department is objecting to a new photo ID law in Texas for voters, saying the state has failed to demonstrate that the the law is not discriminatory by design against Hispanic voters.
The department's head of the civil rights division, Tom Perez, wrote a a six-page letter to Texas' director of elections saying that Texas has not "sustained its burden" under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act to show that the new law will not have a discriminatory effect on minority voters. About 11 percent of Hispanic voters reportedly lack state-issued identification.

I have one question. How would requiring a Photo ID discriminate against ANYONE who is a legal resident and has the ability to get a photo ID??

Clearly the government sees this as a preventive measure against ILLEGAL ALIENS who don't have photo IDs being able to vote. I truly believe that without the illegal immigrant vote, Democrats wouldn't win a damn thing in the border states.

edit on 12-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wow.... simply amazing. Im not even sure why we hold elections anymore. Its not like "we" decide anymore. Issues arent debated anymore. Delegates vs Popular vote. Us vs Them. Red vs Blue. White vs Black. Left vs Right...... Its too much..... Lets go back to the Greek Senate structure and rule by council....

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I guess I'm just going to go ahead and vote as many times as I can in Texas (Not where I'm from)

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
In other words the law hurts the Democrats vote.

I need to show ID when I apply for a job, buy certain items(not just booze), fly anywhere, ect.. In today's society and voter fraud being a real issue I think it is irresponsible to not make sure whoever is voting is who they say they are.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i know this is only partly relevant. but i cant buy a beer without valid id, not even a pack of cigs. not bc i dont have any i.d, but bc i lost my new i.d and my old one has a hole in it. in addition to that i know people that have been arrested for not having an i.d. im not necesarrly saying you should need an i.d to vote but i think the way things are being run is completely backwards. starting to have a enough of this monkey world

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think showing ID in order to vote is a MUST. Here in New York all I have to do is sign my name and I get a ballot. One should be required to show a driver's license or non-driver ID card in order to vote - and don't give me lip about how it's so expensive ... it costs $25 to get a non-driver ID card in NY.

Of course this proposed law means that the Democrats can't have dead people and illegal immigrants vote for them so gee no beep of course they oppose this law.

I am getting so fed up with the system and especially when the Democrats are in power. They do everything possible to subvert the system for their own gain.
edit on 12-3-2012 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sounds to me like the JD's claim
in itself is discriminatory.

They forgot to include everybody else

Buzzzzzzz !!

edit on Mar-12-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. You have to show your ID for anything else official in the USA, why not voting?

I had to show my ID on super Tuesday

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
They can't continue to defraud our election system if they have to present those pesky ID cards. I had to show ID just to by a decongestant this morning all because of the illegal activity of others. If I use that rationale, we NEED voter ID based on the fraudulent and criminal activity of others. Apparently, there was plenty of it in 2008 but no one had the stones to pursue it.

How else can we protect our system? With everything electronic its anyone's guess, then it's down the rabbit hole of possibilities from there.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

\
No in other words the GOP likes to use big government tactics to
suppress all the votes they can.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Last election I voted in I had to show ID.

Im not sure why it's a bad thing. You have to show ID to buy cold medicine for crying out loud. I always thought you had to show ID to vote.

Im in Florida.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What to you expect the Obama team to do.

They surely can't run on the record of accomplishments of the last three years.

Obama and Co have already broken several laws so why it is a stretch to see them pull this crap.

Sadly, it is the REAL American citizens that are going to end up being disenfranchised-by the Dems & Obama.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just wondering...Why are Americans of Hispanic descent less likely to carry ID than any other American?
I feel it is discriminatory to treat them as less responsible than any other sub culture of American citizens.

I am of Hispanic background and I carry a drivers license just like every one else I know. I resent the very idea that Hispanics should be held to a lower standard than others.

This is just a blatant attempt to allow any Tom Dick or Jose to vote "early and often"...for Democrats of course.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

\

What exactly would be your masta plan

for making sure all voters only vote once,

and make sure all voters are eligible,

and make sure the name on the list is you ?

and even make sure a voter even lives in the U.S. ?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

\

How exactly is requiring ID to vote suppressing anyone?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
As a side note, here in New Mexico the democrat-controlled state house just killed a bill (again) to repeal a law they passed a while ago that allows ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS to get a New Mexico driver's license.

Our Republican governor wants to abolish the law, but the dems won't let her. Why? Without the illegal vote and all the fraud that goes on here, they would lose LOTS of positions in state government. The democrats in New Mexico are as corrupt as they come, and it has been that way forever. Looks like the Democrats in Washington have taken some lessons from NM politics.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMar

\

It is suppressing the illegal aliens form being able to vote, which they can't do legally anyway. That and other methods of fraudulent voting. The Obama justice department wants to force Texas to allow this illegal activity because it benefits democrats. Without it, they'd lose elections.

Mastahunta, the GOP is NOT in control of the justice department - OBAMA is, so stop with the bullsh1t posts and try telling the truth for once in your life. You are a liberal operative and everyone here knows it, so shut up already.

Democracy is broken in this country - the People have no voice anymore. Time to vote with lead, people.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

how is having a valid id supressing any one?perhaps we just want those that are legaly able to vote to be able to vote?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The instances of impersonation based voter fraud are virtually non existent in
this nation.

But the GOP and many of you dishonest good folks know good and well that
the marginal people in this society rarely vote for the pro rich, pro Elite GOP.
You know by default that those votes go to Democratic candidates and the
absence of those votes will help to cull off just enough votes to give the GOP
an edge in close elections.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by DelMar

\

It is suppressing the illegal aliens form being able to vote, which they can't do legally anyway.

Wait.. So tell me where all this voter impersonation is???

Is it invisible fraud?

You guys are crooked as the Republicans in DC

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join