It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would I Learn to Meditate......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
And what would I expect to see from it. I know nothing about meditation, what it is,
what it does and how does one do it. I mean closing my eyes usually brings frustration
and too many thoughts.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I don't mind reading up on it, but I would like to
know what the point is. Answers like , it will bring "enlightenment" will only confuse me further.
Indeed it will make me wonder, why it seems easy for others , but not me. I have an already troubled mind
so i don't want to add to the confusion.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

You could ask 100 people and get 100 different replies to what it is and what you can expect, there are also many types of meditation.

I used to practice Zen meditation a lot in which the goal (I would say) is to reach transcendence of your own reality through trying to achieve a state on having no thoughts.
What I personaly got from it was a feeling of inner calm and a mind that was a lot better at concentrating on tasks for longer periods of time

I found this book really helpful at the time
edit on 12-3-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Sporadic thoughts are to be expected. Observe your thoughts, and don't get too caught up on one thing. Let your thoughts flow and observe the flow of consciousness. You'll eventually reach a point where your thoughts slow down, and even stop completely. If you find yourself getting too caught up in thoughts, focus on your breath and the process of breathing.

Meditation calms and focuses the mind and will result in a better quality of living, in my opinion. Mood and tolerance included.
edit on 3-12-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

K,here`s an easy way.........lay flat full body stretched.Close your mind and pretend your toe`s are numb,then slowly work that feeling up to your knees until thighs are fleeting.Heart will follow with the flow slow through the upper torso.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

how about imagining you are inside an expanding sphere similar to inflating a balloon with objects on the surface decreasing in size as the sphere expands. the mind wanders.
f.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I second that 100 differ anwsers but here's my anwser since I had the same issue, I use to fear my thoughts and what meditation would 'have me see'

my method doesn't have a name but does incorporate basic princables. I find it easier to meditate in an alternate state (usually when really tired or really hungry) i don't know Why but it works,
step two is lie down or in which ever position is most comfortable, then invision your life on a peice of paper, slowly get rid of everything till the paper is blank-then gone along with you 'voice' or consciousness.
explore You mind if as it were a maze, where is the pressure, create pressures or zones.

I told an old hippie about this feeling above my head, he told me of chakras, what ever it is I know I can create it when I mediate, I don't believe so much as it is chakra but rather me manually controling my body.

just stay determined and explore yourself.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Interesting replies, Not sure when I can get peace to try this, as my wife is on night
care for the next few nights, and I have to look after the kids and my granddaughter who lives with us.
I really hope I am able to achieve something. I am in real need right now of something positive.

In the middle of cooking dinner right now, so i will look back in later.

Thank You

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What I like to do is just sit however I feel like and just become aware. I just sit and am, with no beliefs of what I should be or what I should expect to happen. I just sit and become aware of myself and my surroundings. This way your thoughts will quiet themselves. You will be too occupied with the moment to think. If you try to force your thoughts to "shut up" you create struggle. The key here is surrendering all your beliefs of what should take place and what you are and just be without expectation.

This is just something I like to do sometimes. There are endless types of meditation you can try for yourself and see what works for you.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

here ya go
if the kids are over 5
why not get them involved as well?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

There are different meditations for different reasons. There is great benefit in sitting or laying meditations. But the greatest meditation of all is the meditation of life.

While you are busy living your life, try to quiet that internal voice that is always chattering, always making judgements and comparisons. Quiet your mind from longing for the past or holding on to pain from the past. Quiet your mind from worry of the future, or anticipations of better days in the future. Try to get lost in each moment of your life, and mentally 'be present in the present moment.'

At times, focus on your breathing. Say to your self "I am breathing in" when you breath in. Say to yourself "I am breathing out" when you breath out. Become accustomed to being mindful of your breathing... being mindful of your entire body. When you move, be mindful that you are moving. When you sit, be mindful that you are sitting. Be mindful of each step you take. Be mindful of the way your body works just to produce a step.

Meditate on your own thoughts and emotions. Ask your self, "How do I feel right now? What am I thinking of? Why do I feel this way? What caused me to feel this way? Is this the way I want to feel? Can I choose to feel the way that I want?" And after having such a conversation with your self, you can then begin to choose your thoughts and emotions. Become mindful of how you feel and what you are thinking.

When you speak, think about what you are saying. "What am I saying? Why did I say that?"

Be mindful of all that is happening within your body, mind, and emotions, and also be mindful of all sight, sound, scent, touch, and perceptions of what is all around you.

edit on 3/12/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
And what would I expect to see from it. I know nothing about meditation, what it is,
what it does and how does one do it. I mean closing my eyes usually brings frustration
and too many thoughts.

The point of meditation is to not think. So don't entertain yourself with your thoughts. But also don't think too hard about not thinking. Just relax and focus on how you feel. Don't try to identify your feelings, because that would require thinking.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I don't mind reading up on it, but I would like to
know what the point is. Answers like , it will bring "enlightenment" will only confuse me further.
Indeed it will make me wonder, why it seems easy for others , but not me. I have an already troubled mind
so i don't want to add to the confusion.

Thanks

The purpose is to bring about a clearer mind. Thoughts obstruct the flow of information. When you have meditated for about a week successfully, you will start to see a difference in your life beyond the practice of meditation.

You will begin to see that thoughts are not your friends.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I can absolutely identify with everything you're saying here and I'm glad you started this thread. I'll be trying to learn what I can from all of this as well. Kind of in a research sense and in a personal sense too.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This has turned exceptionally Interesting . quite a few things that are have been said here
has covered things that definitely would have me obsessing over.

I won't get a proper chance to try any of this for a few days yet, as I am the new
home help.

One thing I was wondering about that I don't think has been covered yet, is how long should one
spend meditating per session. Do we start with just a few minutes and then try for longer and longer periods of time.

Does sleeping, or just before sleep count?

Thank You

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
When I meditate, I usually leave relativity behind and venture into an external realm of simultaneity.

As my mind expands to the size of the room, size starts to lose its meaning, and I am free to explore the vast distances of my mind. I begin to see and feel a shape in my mind's eye that is constantly morphing. It seems to be simultaneously expanding and contracting. When it expands, it feels like a giant sphere, but when it contracts, it looks like a jagged thing.

Size has no meaning and 30 minutes goes by in a short moment.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

One thing I was wondering about that I don't think has been covered yet, is how long should one
spend meditating per session. Do we start with just a few minutes and then try for longer and longer periods of time.

Does sleeping, or just before sleep count?

Thank You

There's no set limits or requirements, it's what ever you feel comfortable with. It's your time to yourself.

Once you train yourself to easily fall into that meditative state of mind, you will be able to enter that state when ever you want any time of the day.

Any time is good. I do it before bed a lot.
edit on 3-13-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

top topics

join