It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ball Lightning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
....last night at my sons football practice, 1/2 of the entire night sky illuminated from a point directly over head to the western horizon...bluish-white in caste...a second later, a very large round plasma-like object bloomed at the western horizon just above the tree-line...then exploded in an upward flame..immediately blowing out all of the field lights.

I have never ever witnessed anything so extraordinary. My son, when he got off the field, said he thought it was a nuclear flash at first.

Any ideas.....ball lightning perhaps?
It had been raining and was quite windy (remnants of Ivan taking another pass at FL), but there was no thunderstorm activity or lightning either before or after.

The strange thing is, I thought an entire substation had blown judging from the size of the explosion and the distance from the field.

Turns out, only the lights on the field had extinguished.

No other power grids had been affected.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
How long did it last? You were at practice, were there any other parents there that may have shared the same sight? Did anyone talk about it after it happened? Any one videotaping the practice? What area did this happen (city/state)? Perhaps it was seen by others in the community...any neighbors to the football feild see it?

Details, details, details...

[edit on 21-9-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It happened at 7:55 pm, and the entire team/coaches/ and waiting dads and moms witnessed it. No chance for videotape though, as it was just a Pop Warner practice...not a game.

One of the players even yelled.."that was the COOLEST thing that I have ever seen!"

The flash lasted 1-2 seconds...the pulsating orb/flamelike trailing explosion another 2-3 seconds.

location. NE Florida.

I haven't had a chance to talk to the other dads/coaches...but i will tonight.

One thing I do know, it was not "normal lightning".

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That does sound like ball lightning. See if you can find the book Unusual Natural Phenomena by William Corliss. It covers the subject well.

[edit on 21-9-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
that happened to my dad wen he was small he was only 2,3 and a ball of lightnin came through yes through the window it did not break the glass his sister was der and she was teachin him to go toilet(as u do) and it flew in and bounced of the toilet bowl and he sed to his sister "will i touch it marie"
and she sed no and pulled his hand away and at that moment it just went into the toilet and dissapeared

freeky he also nearly walked in to a wall of lightin if u want to hear more reply.
in fact he nearly died about 5 times

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
omg I just saw something very similar. It looked like a very massive shooting star except the sky outside is low level cloud (can't see much of the sky). I was outside having a cigarette and a very bright green (almost fluorescent green) strike came through and lit up the entire cloud in the area.

I'm on the Gold Coast, Australia, and just looking at the compass, it would have been approximately NNW, at about 100 kilometers from my location. The time is now 7:10pm AEST, so it would have been just before 7:00pm.

I was waiting to hear a smack down from it. It was no ordinary shooting star. I remembered this thread right after seeing.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
There is actually a method to create ball lightning, though I have not tried it myself, I have a friend who had some success with it and though it destroyed his microwave, it was an apparently success. Take a lit cigarette, or incense stick and place it in your microwave, give it some time to build up particulates, and also place a container of water behind it (this to absorb excess microwaves) and when you cut it on, the field created by the excited particulates apparently bond and resonate to the point where it creates a ball lightning effect. Probably not the best use for your microwave as it causes burn spots where it touches the sides, burns out your magnitron, and I wouldn't reccomend it, but it apprently works. Nikola Tesla was known for his ability to summon up ball lightning as well to amaze and freak out his friends, that secret he apprently took to his grave. It is a fairly common phenominon, but is usually associated with wiring and severe weather. Science has yet to explain it, or even really devote any serious research, so of course ball lightning has fallen into a controversial "new age" category, which is sad given that the fact that it seems to be a very real form of energy.

new topics

join