It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spymaster: Meir Dagan on Iran's threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I searched for this, sorry if it's already posted.

www.cbsnews.com...

You know at one time I was really for attacking Iran. The more I learn the more I think maybe it's time to slow down and try to use some diplomacy.

edit on 12-3-2012 by stewiegriffin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stewiegriffin

Well you don't say..... when it comes to Iran and war you've been 100% for going to war with Iran while it was clear you didn't understand the whole story. Hell, no one really understands the whole story but it should be clear the US going to war is NOT ever the right answer because it has not worked out for us in a long time. When the option for diplomacy is still on table, when US intelligence agencies (plural, as in more than 1) report Iran has no nuke program, when we are in extreme debt and spend way tooooo much on foreign conflicts and arming not only our Armed Forces but the rest of our allies as well, going to War with Iran is the stupidest decision of 2012 and finally it took the ex Mossad director to say this before you finally realized maybe war is not the best idea...

And for those who would have liked the OP to actually talk about the long article, provide a summary, maybe a snippet, something, well here ya go.

The ex-Mossad director, who was very active in Iran's pursuit for nuclear technology, very active in preventing said technology, has sat down and discussed with 60 minutes that attacking Iran would be foolish when all other options exist.

(CBS News) Meir Dagan has been described as "hard-charging" and "stops at nothing." For more than eight years, Dagan made full use of those qualities as chief of Mossad, Israel's intelligence agency, where he focused on keeping Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. When that job ended, Dagan did something unheard of for an ex-Mossad chief: he spoke out publicly, voicing opposition to Israel launching preemptive airstrikes against Iran's nuclear facilities anytime soon. Dagan believes the Iranian regime is a rational one and even its president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - who has called for Israel to be annihilated - acts in a somewhat rational way when it comes to Iran's nuclear ambitions. Lesley Stahl reports.

Dagan: An attack on Iran before you are exploring all other approaches is not the right way how to do it.

Dagan: The regime in Iran is a very rational regime.

Stahl: Do you think Ahmadinejad is rational?

Dagan: The answer is yes. Not exactly our rationale, but I think that he is rational.

Stahl: Do you think they're rational enough that they are capable of backing down from this?

Dagan: No doubt that the Iranian regime is maybe not exactly rational based on what I call Western-thinking, but no doubt they are considering all the implications of their actions.

Dagan argues that a preemptive Israeli strike this year would be reckless and irresponsible. The Obama administration agrees that there's time to wait.

edit on 12-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So an underground bunker/nuclear plant that they won't let inspectors in means nothing to you? The fact that they have begun cleaning up the site so they can have inspectors come is evidence in itself. The leaders of Iran are soulless murderers and if we weren't watching them would have nuked Israel already. This time shouldn't be called the Arab Spring. It should be called the Muslim Spring. Religion in general is unpredictable and should not be allowed to take precedence in matters of politics. They kill you if you burn their stupid book. Not even Christians do that.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Yes the irony of it.

Never thought I was going to change my stance did you? It wasn't this article alone but a combination of factors that has swayed my opinion.

At this point all options remain on the table.

TY 4 the edit. I just broke my arm and can barely type.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorsebeacon

Souless leaders? Are they the only nation in the world with souless leaders or are you just making wild assumptions about people you have no idea about except for what you read online and see on western MSM. What nation on this planet is soo innocent & has no blood on its hands? I could make a case of the pot calling the kettle black but this isn't a pissing contest of which nation has killed more people than the other (although I believe the West wins that contest hands down). Do I fear an Iranian nuke? I'll fear it when US intelligence agencies say otherwise. Till then, people are just running on fear and propaganda.

You want to get rid of nukes? Then the whole damn world should get rid of their nukes. A total and complete, and transparent, destruction of all nuclear arms would be the only right answer. Till then, these "war games" will always continue, and that's just how it is. Whether Iran is working on nukes or not, they will always be accused so and this will not change anytime soon. We've been hearing this same rhetoric for years and years and years and a few more years and plenty more years to come.
edit on 12-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

With everything said and done it does please me to see you've chosen the path of peace, for now, but we'll see how long this new founded opinion of yours will last. How long until another MSM report comes out that paints Iran, yet again, as some extreme threat that needs to be dealt with asap? Till then, welcome to the side of sanity.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Wow for a minute it was nice to see you attack someone new.

It was a damn short minute.

I guess it wasn't really an attack but I don't think you've lowered the shields. I did say all options remain. They better not even breathe heavy.

Hey, I was going to let this go but...

I could make a case of the pot calling the kettle black but this isn't a pissing contest of which nation has killed more people than the other (although I believe the West wins that contest hands down).

The West is not a nation.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

An attack or simply a response via an internet message forum? Attacks on member on ATS do not last long because the Mod will make short work of that.

The West is not a nation

You don't say? Maybe I have to be more specific next time and say western nations so some will understand better?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

So you are now comparing Iran to all western nations?
Now that hardly seems fair.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Comparing Iran to western nations? No, I was talking about the death toll committed by each nation of the World, not Iran, and I quickly came to the conclusion western nations probably have killed more people than non western nations, Iran included by not the sole comparison.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewiegriffin
I searched for this, sorry if it's already posted.

www.cbsnews.com...

You know at one time I was really for attacking Iran. The more I learn the more I think maybe it's time to slow down and try to use some diplomacy.

Awesome man, I'm glad you have come to your senses. There is certainly more to this story than what is being pushed to us through the MSM. Whenever a potentially world changing event is a possibility, it is always wise to stop action in haste and analyze everything.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow reading the interview, I just realized this is the same interview that I read this morning in the Daily News, but the one printed in the Daily News was highly edited.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Comparing Iran to western nations? No, I was talking about the death toll committed by each nation of the World, not Iran, and I quickly came to the conclusion western nations probably have killed more people than non western nations, Iran included by not the sole comparison.

I misunderstood.

In that case I would have to agree. Take the U.S. and Germany alone.

new topics

top topics

join