It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOOD for thought: Frontal lobotomy and the third eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
www.google.com...=mobile-gws-psy&hl=en&client=ms-android-google&sky=mrdr&site=webhp&source= hp&q=frontal+lobotomy&oq=frontal&aq=2&aqi=g3&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=13854l27292l0l32700l8l6l0l2l2l0l3520l6348l7-1.1.1l8l0&pbx=1&mvs=0&bav=cf.osb&fp=c7079 bfd8810bac9&biw=1024&bih=255&miuv=0

www.google.com...=mobile-gws-psy&hl=en&client=ms-android-google&sky=mrdr&site=webhp&source= hp&q=frontal+lobotomy&oq=fr&aq=1&aqi=s3&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=6577l6918l0l11318l4l2l0l2l2l0l3091l4012l6-1.9-1l3l0&pbx=1&mvs=0&bav=cf.osb&fp=c7079bfd8810 bac9&biw=1024&bih=294&miuv=2

www.google.com...=mobile-gws-psy&hl=en&client=ms-android-google&sky=mrdr&site=webhp&source= hp&q=frontal+lobotomy&oq=fr&aq=1&aqi=s3&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=6577l6918l0l11318l4l2l0l2l2l0l3091l4012l6-1.9-1l3l0&pbx=1&mvs=0&bav=cf.osb&fp=c7079bfd8810 bac9&biw=1024&bih=294&miuv=1

Welcome to segment three of food for thought. I was surprised at a couple of responses last week, but disappointed for the most part.

I know for a fact that ATS summons dynamic, radical dreamers. I'm calling you out.

I'm keeping this concise, in hopes some of you will use them brains, and quit acting like you've had frontal lobotomies. Some actually have, prompting a thought pattern, but I need these ideas reflected.

Thousands, this last century, had the front portions of their brains removed to 'cure mental illness'. Schizophrenia became the main diagnosis for so many who were probably expeiriencing something psychic, and no one could really define it. If you saw something dr. didn't, you were crazy, and erased from society.

what if TPTB knew more than they let on?

They were removing what we now discover to be the 'third eye'. I'm sure Jon Doe started hearing and seeing into a parallel dimension, and when he mentoned it, they locked him up for being crazy. Maybe he wasn't ill in reality, just...'aware'.

It's likely they wanted to further study the third eye, so they removed it under the guise of the principle used to remove tumors. Out with the bad, in with the meds, yeah?

I'm not saying Dr. Wily was secretly harvesting them, hoping to consume hundreds in hopes of becoming an Egyptian god, but there is more to this. They obviously didn't do lobotomies for very long, and never ONCE menioned any correlation to the third eye.

Tell me your views. I'll share mine, but not until I see some of you come forward to brainstorm. I read through thirty generic, halfhearted threads every day (not just here, duh), and contribute. I'm hoping you will see that this grim practice started as soon as it stopped, leaving so many unanswered..and a few clues to the 'man behind the curtain'.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Dr. Walter Freeman is pretty much the man that made the frontal lobotomy famous.

Here is a documentary all about him: www.pbs.org...

You can't stream from that location, but the doc is available on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Anyway, I don't think he was trying to remove the third eye. I don't think psychiatry in general believes in the proverbial "third eye."

He legitimately thought he was helping people, he perfected a lobotomy procedure where they would enter the brain through the eye with what was basically an ice pick, sever the connection to the frontal lobe and that was that. Dr Freeman would travel the country, visiting mental hospitals and psych wards - performing hundreds of lobotomies in a day. I don't think that they were trying to remove the third eye, they just have a very limited understanding of brain function and in severe cases, the lobotomy seemed to work.

It was barbaric and horrible, gruesome and disgusting, but back then doctors really thought they were helping people when doing this stuff.

So anyway, OP, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Your OP hints at brainstorming but doesn't really set any substantial framework for the discussion... Before we go off on pseudo-sciences, however, I think we should learn and understand the hard sciences behind the procedure.

I think your hypothesis is flawed, that they were intentionally trying to remove the "third eye."

1: The "third eye" is supposedly located in the pineal gland - the lobotomy separated the frontal lobe, not the Epithalamus where the pineal gland is located.

2: Only "troubled youth" and other mental patients were given lobotomies. If the plan was to incapacitate the psychic powers of people, a larger and broader demographic would have been used.

3: The lobotomy was eventually recognized as a barbaric and brutal procedure, and ultimately a failure. Dr Freeman felt great regret at what he had done, as he did truly believe it to be helpful, and in many cases the lobotomy proved to give some "normality" back to schizophrenics and the mentally unstable.

There are specific accounts of frontal lobotomies gone wrong, it was definitely a dark time in modern medicine but there was a feeling of dominance and control at the time, in many fields including medicine, economics, geo engineering, nuclear power, etc..
edit on 12-3-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

**ETA: I forgot to mention that the frontal lobe serves mostly to INHIBIT the rest of the brain. The left and right hemisphere control both abstract and rational though, and while it's often believed that one side controls one, and the other side controls the other, in reality both sides of the brain work together to perform rational and abstract thought. The frontal lobe is the ultra rational, and serves to inhibit some of the more instinctual, reactionary things that the old brain would act out upon if left to it's own devices. The relationship with the different regions of the brain isn't fully understood, as we all know, but something happened in people after a lobotomy (severing the frontal lobe from the rest of the brain) that seemed to "normalize" a wide spectrum of mental patients. Exactly why or how isn't understood, but people with these disorders have proven to have increased and odd activity in their frontal lobes..

So I don't think anyone was trying to kill our "third eye" - but I do think the lobotomy is a great example of extreme medicine gone wrong, where doctors put on their work boots and arm themselves with hammers and a saw, get inside your head and just start redecorating without really understanding what they are doing.
edit on 12-3-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

It's likely they wanted to further study the third eye, so they removed it under the guise of
reply to post by threewhiteeyes

trickery and mind manipulation

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

While I disagree, I gladly star your input, and appreciate any view.

Of course science doesn't accept the 'third eye'. Imagine their reality crumbling under the weight of someone outside tof their circle actually thinking. Maybe we should go back to bed, safe knowing reality is defined by a set mentality. They did, after all, go to school for six years to conusume and embed the beliefs handed to them.

Even if they knew about it, do you think they'd tell everyone? Half of this worlds known criminals and sex offenders unleashing our genetically imprinted potential? Unless you speak for everyone... I personally choose to deny the ignorant belief that science books fully encompass our metaphysical boundries.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by threewhiteeyes

While I disagree, I gladly star your input, and appreciate any view.

Of course science doesn't accept the 'third eye'. Imagine their reality crumbling under the weight of someone outside tof their circle actually thinking. Maybe we should go back to bed, safe knowing reality is defined by a set mentality. They did, after all, go to school for six years to conusume and embed the beliefs handed to them.

Even if they knew about it, do you think they'd tell everyone? Half of this worlds known criminals and sex offenders unleashing our genetically imprinted potential? Unless you speak for everyone... I personally choose to deny the ignorant belief that science books fully encompass our metaphysical boundries.

I agree with you on your point that science may not disclose everything to us, that there is potentially knowledge about human health and perhaps even the metaphysical that is withheld from us - but again it is widely accepted that the third eye resides in the pineal gland, and not the frontal lobe...

The frontal lobe is the very HUMAN part of the brain, it really is the part that organizes the left and right hemispheres, takes what is needed from those engines, and recycles back to the system the instincts and urges that are not appropriate (ideally, in some people this function is obviously broken!)..

So even if we are to assume there is an actual, physical, third eye that can be manipulated, it is commonly accepted to be within the pineal gland, and it would take more than an icepick through the eyesocket to reach it. =\

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I must have to say,what a great discussion.From my experience with obe`s and pineal gland interference mixed in with subcon thoughts,the esp kicks in.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Although I understand your premise, I personally do not think that there was a deliberate attempt at either removing the pineal gland or severing its connection to the frontal cortex.

The history of the frontal lobotomy is one of a few gung-ho doctors who took the research of doctors who were causing lesions in the brains of dogs and monkeys, and running with it, because there were no real treatments for mood disorders and psychoses. It started in the late 30s and was done extensively until the early 60s, when public outcry and the discovery of phenothiazine-based neuroleptic (anti-psychotic) drugs, such as chlorpromazine, rendered the destruction of brain tissue obsolete. The surgical lobotomy was abandoned in favor of the chemical lobotomy, as surgical lobotomies were unpredicatable, and could sometimes make the patient worse, or a vegetable. Chemical treatment was a lot more predictable and is also reversible.

During the few decades it was used, 40,000 people were lobotomized in the United States (and 10,000 abroad). The lobotomy performed on President Kennedy's sister Rosemary left her a vegetable. Prisoners who were difficult, as well as difficult teenagers, were lobotomized to control them. This was done against their will and without their permission.

The "ice-pick" method of lobotomy, done through the eye socket, was done without traditional anesthesia. The patient was electro-shocked into unconsciousness, then the pick inserted through the socket and wiggled around to sever the fibrous connections to the thalamus.

Above is a picture of 12 year old Howard Dully, who was lobotomized after being electro-shocked because his stepmother didn't like his behavior.

The history of lobotomies is a black stain on the field of psychology and mental health, and was shamelessly and indiscriminately performed on everybody from depressed people to those with mental retardation, and even political dissidents in prison.

I don't believe there was any understanding of the pineal gland or the attempt to sever the connection. It was more a crude and cruel method of destroying the brain matter of people who had issues that the medical establishment or their families couldn't, and didn't want to, handle.

Please see: scienceblogs.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

It makes me sick knowing they did this to people. I dont get sick offten but this does it for me.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yeah, sorry about that. It freaks me out to even think about it. I added the picture for shock effect, because what passed for "medical treatment" back in the day was barbaric and disturbing.

BTW, electroshock "therapy" has made somewhat of a comeback, and to see a film of that is also incredibly disturbing.

We know little about the brain, and even less about how to treat it.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I agree, it really makes me sick too.

The documentary I linked has some interviews with living lobotomy patients - and some footage of them being carried out.

As I said Dr Freeman would travel all over, show up at a mental hospital and just start doing frontal lobotomies. He would teach the methods to the staff. There are documented deaths that occurred due to slipping hands and such. And they actually thought they were doing people a favor...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Hummmm yeah. The pineal gland isn't the same as the frontal lobe. Yes, I agree. Also, it's doubtful indeed that mainstream science gave the concept of chakras a second glance.
Hey, I can be humbled. I'm really glad you two chimed in.
I must say, however, if you've read parts one and two of these...different... food for thought threads, I'm having more fun than anything. Its only fun when someone else plays too, yeah?
Good times.
*runs away cackling, with a bag full of third eyes*

I still can't help but wonder how things really went down, though. Whenever something taboo or outlandish is given a formal presentation, I can't help but wonder, ya know? The McDonalds cook isn't going to come up front and tell you he dropped your McFish before tossing it in the bag.

top topics

join