It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gemstones And Mystical Properties

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Throughout history many different cultures have considered gemstones to be imbued with different healing and mystical properties. Just the fact that the beliefs have been around so long and continue to be around is making me wonder if there really is something to it. I've been interested in all different types of gemstones all my life and have amassed a good collection of loose stones. Until now, my interest has been with their beauty and the minerals they're created from.

I want to be able to separate superstition from fact in my mind and want your opinion on the subject.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
For example, Gemstones (A-F) - Metaphysical Properties says this about Amethyst:

Amethyst - increases vivid dreams, relieves depression, promotes calm, serenity, and spirituality. Helps with addiction and stress.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Please reply, surely there are those of you out there that know of such things!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have very strong emotions and a lot of passion and wear carnelian to balance and focus my energy. My sacral chakra is dominant among the others and I also wear this stone and other orange stones to help balance that as well. I also carry tourmaline to ward off evil among other things. We know that nature and the earth provide everything that humans need to heal themselves and I believe these stones are no different. I also believe there is a connection between these stones and sound/vibration.

I've also given my girlfriend many blue stones like apatite and topaz to help her communicate her feelings and rid her of guilt and stress.
edit on 12-3-2012 by veritaslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I'm afraid you're going to find more myth than any facts. There are few stones/metals that have scientific measurable properties.

Their spiritual properties come from individual cultures who associated their properties to deities and the deity's spiritual characteristics or to the living world around them.

I really suggest you find a book on the subject because there as there are more spiritual properties of stones then there are stones themselves
edit on 12-3-2012 by Starrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Well, I´ve got a fairly large amethyst in my living room, something like this,

As for its powers I don´t really know, I do feel some sort of energy when I put my hand in front of it, but I´m biased so...

If anything it´s cool to look at and it feels good to look at too.

edit on 12-3-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by veritaslibertas

Thank you veritaslibertas. I'm assuming then, that you are on the side that attribute "mystical" qualities to various gemstones.

Does it matter if they are "raw" gemstones or cut? Also, I've read a great deal about Lapis Lazuli and it's properties - emotional healing and stability. Do you have any experience with it?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starrunner

I'm afraid you're going to find more myth than any facts. There are few stones/metals that have scientific measurable properties.

As far as you know, have there been any scientific studies done on healing/mental properties of gemstones?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

That's a beautiful specimen bastardo. Thanks for showing us!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Your welcome, but this one is not actually mine, it was quicker for me to find a similar one online than it was to make a pic of my own one.

I have to say in all honesty that mine is even prettier)off course
it is more hollow with a deep hole.

I was always interested in gems as a kid and had a little collection and I have been specifically attracted to amethysts.

Always liked the agate stones too.

edit on 12-3-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Of course, thanks for bringing up this interesting subject. I am definitely on that side. I'm not sure if whole or cut makes a difference but I prefer to have whole stones the way they formed naturally.

Lapis Lazuli is one of the most interesting of them all as it focuses specifically on spiritual health, well being, enlightenment etc... Many believe it has a profound influence on the 6th chakra or the third eye. I find it interesting that the Native Americans used it quite a bit as did the Maya. From my understanding it is an extremely powerful stone.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Vary simply put.

Gemstones hold the ability to amplify the surrounding energy or it could be use to amplify it's owners energy.

Gemstones like diamonds are vary hard, there crystal line structure are vary diffident they are able to vibrate a different frequencies, there is a use for that, vary long time ago.

They were the hard drives of now a days, and some still are. They are vary deceiving there is more to them then most people can imagine, they are part of a vary old and powerful past, as we have found out there are diamond worlds and other things. If only gemstones could speak they would tell stores that would truly amaze us all.

But then again we are so 3 dimensional what we see is all that this it is, but it's not.

js

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I do believe raw quartz crystals have a healing
property - perhaps its just the beauty but for
me it works if I hold a piece of crystal in my
hand. I am not so sure as far as cut gemstones,
perhaps they loose something during cutting.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

could it be that these stones were used in some kind of machine in our distant past ,
there is a popular belief that our planet has reached a level of technological advancement in the past but life had to start all over after some catasrophy.
we have c.d's and dvd's that are read by a laser .
we also have stories about harmonics being used to levitate things .
so its not to hard to imagine these rocks and crystals being used in some kind of apparatus or machine.
just an idea that i have had for some time now , no proof no pictures just a feeling .

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Thank you all. This has brought up another thought.

Quartz was used in ancient Egypt, possibly other places as well, in healing rooms. The person to be healed would climb up on a massive solid quartz carved platform and choose where to stand. The room in which the platform was located was built atop an underground aquifer. The healer would go into another room and put his head into a niche in the wall to diagnose the exact ailment of the person to be healed. They used quartz interacting with the energy being given off by the running water underground for healing purposes!

I wonder, then, if subtle energy concepts works with blood in humans, instead of water. Or, since the human body is comprised primarily of water the same subtle energy is interacting with the different natural gemstones.

I know this is off-the-wall, but it just occurred to me there might be something to this.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I think you're on the right track. You should check out Cymatics.

Cymaticsource

Stones like Amethyst, Citrine, Agates and jaspers are all Quartz based rocks. These stones are composed mainly of micro-crystalline quartz (Chalcedony) unlike the macro-crystalline quartz you might be used to. Most semi-precious gemstones are composed mainly of Chalcedony.

Quartz has piezoelectric properties; it will generate electrical energy when physical force is applied.

Metaphysically, quartz has similar properties to water which can react to and store energies.

Some Native American cultures teach that quartz crystals are the brain cells of the planet, a living breathing, thinking organism.

edit on 12-3-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to go there and read!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You're very welcome.

I've always been interested in this subject but as someone who cuts and sells cabochons I don't talk about it much in the general public arena. It's a polarizing subject in the gem and jewelry business. You either believe in the metaphysical claims or you don't, and if you don't then you look down upon those that do.

I have mixed feelings about metaphysical properties though....

On the one hand, I think it's unethical to make claims about healing properties when there are so many who are desperate for a cure to certain ailments. I've seen people selling stones at ten times the real market value simply because they are claiming some healing property.

On the other hand, I don't see a problem selling stones at fair market value w/advertising that outlines the reported metaphysical properties as long as there is a disclaimer.

But beyond all of the ethical questions, I think there may be something to this. Quartz has so many unique properties. I'm a firm believer that frequencies and resonance effect physiological functions at a cellular level. There is so much that medical science is just beginning to understand about how cells actually function.

I don't like loose ends and have always thought that there are real, physical mechanisms that allow for things like ESP, prophecy, "faith healing", channeling, remote viewing, OOBEs, etc... a good example of one of the physical mechanisms would be Bio-photons. I think bio-photon activity is the mechanism by which most Psi-phenomena propagate. Certain stones may play an important role in frequency stabalization and bio-photon activity.

I would be interested if you find any information that seems to be based in some reality...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Thank you for starting this thread Iamonlyhuman! I was so excited to see it this because a friend and I recently starting looking into the power and energy of quartz crystals.

We have made it as far as cleansing them in salt water and charging them in the sun/moonlight but, haven't quite been able to delve any deeper into the subject. (Poor thing busted up her knee pretty badly in a skiing accident so, things have been a little "off" for her lately to say the least)

Perhaps the healing energy of the crystal is where we should focus then considering her condition???

I would really be interested in hearing about other member's experiences or knowledge on the quartz crystal.

Thanks again for starting this thread...I wish I had more to offer but, I do look forward to reading and learning more about the topic.
edit on 12-3-2012 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Here's something I found that seems to validate what I was talking about... bio-photons.

To start with, a gemstone influences the light pattern of your body and the energy of your aura. Depending on your constellation, your karma or your walk of life a color might be too dominant or underrepresented in you and thus disturb your inner balance. Keeping the colors of your aura in a state of equilibrium is important for your ability to keep off negative thoughts and add positively to your karma.

Source
(The link above is a good example of a gem seller who charges outrageous prices for metaphysical stones.Don't get ripped off by the sellers that are unscrupulous.)

Apparently it makes no difference whether the stone is cut or uncut but only natural stones will do. Heat treated or synthetically grown materials will not work as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join