It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English drought: Hosepipe ban

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Of course the only real way of enforcing such a thing is to rely on people snitching on their neighbours.

Just so you know in my neck of the woods (Severn Trent Water) a mains finally broke last week after constantly leaking a considerable amount of water over the past 18 months. Prior to this many hours had been wasted digging it up, standing around with tea just staring into the hole, only for it to be left as it was.

The deluge may have stopped, but low and behold the trickle is still there, all this after another hole was dug and 6 vans and a whole load of workmen stood around drinking tea and tutting.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I thought the reason that they sold the water company.(privatise) Was so that they could up rate the entire system. Yet how long after.are they still losing water through their victorian pipe system? I would like to know how come all the water rates we have been paying since victorian times. Was not used to keep the system up to date and modernised?
Another thing, They are suppsed to deliver clean fresh water,yet the water is full of flouride and god knows what else.
edit on 5-4-2012 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
If the water companies simply put fixing their pipes ahead of providing there shareholders with a large dividend then this whole thing could be a thing of the past.

I saw a report in a national news paper recently saying that they lost 3 billion litre's DAY through leaking pipes.

but as we all know, money is WAY more important than water, i mean, with money you can buy all sorts of things - large homes, fast cars, dimonds, fantastic vacations ..... i mean ... what can water give us i ask you ....

oh yeah .... life .....

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Yeah, i live in the same severn trent area, and i've also seen this happening. But if you think about it they wont be able to drink too much tea because if they dont fix the leaks soon they wont have anything to put in their kettles !
then they may HAVE to do some work instead of looking into the leaking hole for hours at a time.
edit on 5/4/2012 by scepticsRus because: type-o

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Still plenty of water here to be honest. Plus 8 inches of snow to melt and add to the collection (from a little further north).

I believed there are rewards offered of up to a thousand pounds for info on people breaking the ban. With the way many families are struggling at the moment, i actually think people "snitching" will be far more likely than at other previous ban - particularly when all other bills are going up.

I hope i am wrong on that - in previous bans there haven't been prosecutions because have not grassed on their neighbours. Fingers crossed the cash temptation is resisted this time around too!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
the "hosepipe" ban is similar to what we do almost every year in parts of texas. it seems like we always have water restrictions. on certain days depending on your house number (odd or even) you can water with a sprinkler before 10am or after 5pm. no one gets to water during the day but if it's not your day of the week you can water in the morning or evening but you have to be holding the hose or watering can. you can't use a sprinkler.

if it gets bad enough they tighten up the rules a bit but the above is standard pretty much every summer. if you're caught breaking the rules you have to pay a hefty fine.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus
reply to post by Suspiria

Yeah, i live in the same severn trent area, and i've also seen this happening. But if you think about it they wont be able to drink too much tea because if they dont fix the leaks soon they wont have anything to put in their kettles !
then they may HAVE to do some work instead of looking into the leaking hole for hours at a time.
edit on 5/4/2012 by scepticsRus because: type-o

I have seen these guys do this no end round the Notts area. Your comment made me giggle cos it's true!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Soz susperia, didn't realise you mentioned that before. Funny and true anyways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join