Pictures of a recent Game Drive I did.

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Hi, just wanted to share some pics I took on a recent game drive here in South Africa.

The King of the jungle, a 200 kg lion, just relaxing.

This is a 22 year old bull.

Some cute Impalas

This is a Bontebok, and they are very scarce, close to dying out.

A Kudu. Lucky to have seen one, since its mostly nocturnal.

This is an Eland, the biggest antelope species in Africa. This one is over 500kg

A Black Rhino, distinquisable by the smaller mouth than a White Rhino. These rhinos are being killed at almost one day, for their horns, because some Asians believe it has some medicinal value. However, it has no medicinal value, and that is all BS.

A young Giraffe, not even 6 years old yet.

The Cape Zebra, different to the other 4 species of zebras.

Hope you guys enjoy.

vvv
edit on 12-3-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Wonderful pictures! I'm curious on something. You refer to a game drive? What is that, and how easy/close to where people live are these animals to get to and see? Or...am I mistaken and this is some kind of animal preserve or park there?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Awesome pictures mate

glad you didn't get mauled by the lion

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sorry, yeah, let me clarify.

Its in a massive nature reserve, it is one of the national parks here in SA. These animals are all wild, and all in their natural habitats. They aren't like zoo animals where you can pet them and such..

The game drive is basically an open 4 x 4 vehicle, with seating for maybe about 9 people. The Game Ranger then drives you through this national park, and see what animals you are lucky enough to spot. They obviously know the parks rather well, and know where you can expect to see certain animals.

You are not allowed to get off the vehicle, or make any sudden movements or loud noises. With some of the animals you can get really close to them, but the fact is they are still wild, so there is some risk involved.
Especially with the lions and elephants you get a bit nervous.

vvv

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Oh...W
W.

I think you have just added an entry to my bucket list. I was very impressed by the animals and experience at the wild animal park at Disneyworld. They spent enormous time, effort and resources to make that as natural as anything here could be....but that is here. Where none of those could ever live free. I would so much love to see them where they truly are living as free as protection (I assume that is a major thing for this) allows.

I was just headed to bed when I came across this. Thanks for giving me something warm and happy to go to sleep with in mind.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The pleasure is mine mate!

Yeah, look they live freely in nature, and aren't really protected either. When you go on the game drive you are merely a visitor to their natural habitat.

Its only the endangered species, like the Rhino's and some antelope, that is protected. Yet, they still get killed, because these game reserves are massive, and cannot be patrolled permanently.
Its sad, really sad really.

vvv

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Excellent pictures VVV!
Great to see these animals in the own back yard.

Are your game wardens allowed to shoot poachers?
I think they should be allowed to personally.
It makes me sick to see so many animals hunted almost to extinction for bogus chinese medicine.
They have NO right to kill them.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yes recently they are allowed to shoot rhino poachers.

vvv

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

That is good news.

Now they need a psy ops plan,which spreads rumors of elite killer snipers who collect the body parts of poachers.
They could say there are tribal shamans with mystic powers who eat poachers organs in rituals.

That may put the chinese off,as they are basically doing the same thing with endangered animals.
but,its big business nowadays.The less animals,the more they pay.
How sick is that?

I had read that some rhino horns had been injected with poison,to make the chinese medicine toxic to the user.
That is good psy ops as well I rek.
We need to help these amazing animals by any means I think.

I would hate to have to tell my grandchildren about extinct rhinos,tigers or whales,and how it was our fault for not helping them..
I would rather they see the living versions,without them being in fear of extinction.
Long may they prosper.

top topics

join