It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Stopped Dreaming - Neil deGrasse Tyson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I thought this was an important assessment and worthy reminder for one of the most powerful uniter of peoples through vision, the space programs. Times are tough and value becomes misplaced, but shouldn't we continue to look towards the stars and dream? Doesn't space exploration, at some point, become a duty for humanity, as cosmic infants growing, evolving and surviving.
Thought I'd pass on the inspiration, and I hope some keep on dreaming.

"You multiply NASA's budget a factor of two or three and you give it a grand vision," he told Carl Zimmer. "You say, 'We're going back to the moon, we're going to Mars. Oh, by the way, we're going to be on Mars on this date, and right now we are looking at the elementary school children of the nation to see who has the right stuff, because by the time we're ready to go to Mars, they will be the right age to be astronauts.' You attract an entire generation of people into these epic projects. And to solve those problems that have never been solved before, they have to invent things. They have to have new ideas. New branches of mathematics get discovered. This feeds into society, into our culture. It's a difficult sell, but I think it's our only hope."

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

If your can learn to accept even the barest fraction of data about UFOs, you can understand that human history and advancement is on a different heading than merely returning to a renewed space effort.. The simple anthropocentric dream of conquering space in the spirit of JFK's challenge to his fellow American's is over. It was a no-win contest from the start. It had a multiple purpose, but actually, it was a false goal, ignoring the evidence of the UFO in our midst, yet making a pitiful attempt to emulate them in their splendor.

We are in for bad times. The dream is gone in many ways, the economic engine of earth has been damaged by careless manipulation. Couple that factor with the new realization that we humans are not so great after all. We can easily see from the present trends that we must classify ourselves as a Third World world as compared to all others that we will learn about. The final blow will be to actually learn to our core that others, far more advanced than us are also here. That will be the most crucial period in human history. Will we survive it?

Human history says, "NO," at least not in the simple-minded manner in which we usually imagine our future. The lesser civilization is always absorbed by the larger except for minor areas. All is taken over into the new order and churned into something else, be it good, bad or simply different. Native Americans and Native Africans and thousands of other peoples conquered in one way or another over the millennium prove that point. Our visitors may try to help, but it will be us to we humans to adapt or not.

Beside all of that, there is the bigger, final question that we must consider from an outside observer's view point: Do we deserve to survive and/or will we be allowed to survive?

Isn't it ironic, as we grow sophisticated, away from concepts of a powerful God intity out there that controls our destiny with a flick of his finger, that realistically we must come to terms with that very same possibility in a real world setting?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Thank you for a thoughtful reply Aliensun.
I can only hope that our continuing accelerated path to singularity will renew, if not reshape our space faring endeavors. Surely any significant advances in technology will incorporate space exploration, it just makes too much sense. I think the lack of support from the public stems from two things, unaware, thus unfortified imagination, or priorities are focused on earthly situations, absorbing not just our attention, but shadowing our dreams and imagination.

The final blow will be to actually learn to our core that others, far more advanced than us are also here. That will be the most crucial period in human history. Will we survive it?

There may be mayhem and destruction, but I think this moment will serve as a catalyst for changing direction, or at least adding new goals to our continued growth. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger too and more unified, maybe? I guess that can certainly go either way.

Do we deserve to survive and/or will we be allowed to survive?

Who decides? If it is just us, then I say yes, but if TPTB(especially if they are tied to alien visitation right now) have any insidious plans, we may not. On the larger scale of things, under the premise of real ET's, who knows how things will unfold, but moving forward is inevitable, imo, although the pace may be trifled along the way.
I agree with your point about the dream being somewhat antiquated in it's application, as far as from the 60 & 70's, but still there is framework to lay, that coincides with the dreams of yesterday, and should be re-mixed to include todays tech advances. and a shifting public opinion. I think if head figures started bringing these ambitions to the public, many will be supportive, and I still think this type of awareness stimulates innovation and brings cultures together. Well, with the exception of some religious organizations, but that;s a whole nuther subject.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Amazing, imagine if they gave half of what our defense budget was to NASA and the space program, think of the things that would be discovered in our time

S & F

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Misplaced priorities or not enough profits in space exploration I suppose, but yea Mr. Tyson offered a spark and I hope his reasoning reverberates through officials and the public. I think if he spearheaded an effort to bring his message to the masses with new bills or global collaboration, he would get much support.

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I stopped dreaming big when I realized what really happens to great advances in technology in today's world.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Did you stop dreaming? I haven't.

So whom stopped dreaming?

Nasa became what it was because it had men with big dreams and big ideas funded by an enthusiastic public and an out pouring of national pride. It wasn't just about a space race in a cold war with winner take all, Nasa had some of the best minds in the world working on hardware, software, and physics. Men with names that school children were taught about and wanted to emulate one day.

More people got into engineering and the aerospace industry for the money and the opportunities this new revolution would bring about that was called , the space age.

Then it seemed to fizzle and die out like a wet firecracker after shuttle accidents and a floating platform called a space station that looks pretty in the night sky and serves as decoration in low Earth orbit.

We never lost the dream. we lost the men and the vision of what space means to man when the reins were given over to the politicians whom hired "yes men" to run our agency. Like any government run public entity, it now lacks vision and direction for what it was initially created. What little is left of NASA from its conception like the rovers exploring distant worlds, I greedily soak up any new information and new discoveries with many others when it becomes available.

Have we quit dreaming?

No, the government does that for us.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I wanted to add this thread and vid from optimus primal:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

peace

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

Touche' Earthscum, that is a heavy dream killer for sure. I still think/hope the truth will prevail and we will return to something that is an essential part of our evolution, space exploration.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1409

Hey dc, no I did not stop dreaming, but by comparison to the 70's, space exploration does not stay in my imagination enough, and I think for society, they are just not exposed to elements of 'the dream' as much these days. Plus so many are burdened with debt, and distracted from, well dreaming and imagination.
The 60's and 70's were ripe with the vision. Magazines, tv shows, and collective awareness fueled the wonder and hope for such endeavors. Today, they can't even get funding, and this is why I am so grateful for Dr. Tyson.

We never lost the dream. we lost the men and the vision of what space means to man when the reins were given over to the politicians whom hired "yes men" to run our agency. Like any government run public entity, it now lacks vision and direction for what it was initially created. What little is left of NASA from its conception like the rovers exploring distant worlds, I greedily soak up any new information and new discoveries with many others when it becomes available.

The men(and women
) is an excellent analogy. It seems the 80's became a shifting time for "me-ness" with themes like greed is good. So maybe war with loosened regulations, re-directed much aspiration and efforts.
But again, I think it is inevitable we will turn once again to space exploration.

peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Even if the whole UFO thing is true, it does not mean we should give up on our own striving for the stars. Like deGrasse states, it's more than just putting people into space, it's the knock on effect, the inspiring potential. Something of real value in this world of IED's and drone bombings, surveillance and security technologies. These things do not inspire one, they have the opposite effect. It's good to have heroes who go beyond the possibilities.

It's a shame that we only invest in these technologies out of fear rather than aspiration. Short sighted politicians know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

We have given up on utopia in favor of dystopia.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Fear, that is so true woodwardjnr, I did not think of that, and that is a heavy emotion to get thru and see beyond when it comes from so many sources as war, economy, poverty and of course Faux news. Like I said, I hope his message falls upon many ears and a shift in interest may incorporate these endeavors. It is space after all, geez don't we all wanna go and know!
I here they are working on another Star Trek, so hope fully it will serve to fuel some imaginations again.

Peace,
spec

ETA: Love your avatar!!!

edit on 13-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Damn, that video makes me sad that it is so true.

Humanity, on average has just given up. We have no hope, we stopped trying. People are more concerned about the latest game, the latest tech. We are divided, we fight over everything.

and I don't see anything that will get us back on track......

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Dont't worry.

USA Stopped Dreaming on Space Exploration, only publicly...

Huge hidden space projects on the horizon

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

They're hidden because what is going on is miniaturization. Its not secret technology, just smaller. Look up the X-37b, and the Scottish satellite cubes, (first ever Scottish satellite development to be launched).

Here, bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland
edit on 7-4-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I hope so brother, thanks for the encouragement. If competition still serves as motivation, well the Chinese are providing: www.space.com...

spec

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

If you took all of nasa's budget from last year, all of it. Every space flight, every new robotic craft built and lauched, all the new projects and research, EVERYTHING.

Everything we spent on nasa last year would be a half billion dollars less than the amount of money we spent air conditioning buildings in the middle east. Let that sink in.

Its sad where our priorities have gone. Forget half of what we spend on defence. If we could give nasa a tenth imagine what they could do with it.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
If they want to re-ignite 'the dream'... they can just throw massive funds into this NASA "Eagleworks" laboratory:

"NASA Eagleworks: Advanced Propulsion"
www.futureincredible.com...

"Eagleworks Laboratories: Advanced Propulsion Physics Research"
ntrs.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Well now that is some inspiring news, much thanks for the linkage!

Since the work being pursued by this laboratory is applied scientific research in the areas of the quantum vacuum, gravitation, nature of space-time, and other fundamental physical phenomenon, high fidelity testing facilities are needed. The lab will first implement a low-thrust torsion pendulum (less than 1 micronewton), and commission the facility with an existing Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster. To date, the QVPT line of research has produced data suggesting very high specific impulse coupled with high specific force. If the physics and engineering models can be explored and understood in the lab to allow scaling to power levels pertinent for human spaceflight, 400kW SEP human missions to Mars may become a possibility, and at power levels of 2MW, 1-year transit to Neptune may also be possible. Additionally, the lab is implementing a warp field interferometer that will be able to measure spacetime disturbances down to 150nm. Recent work published by White suggests that it may be possible to engineer spacetime creating conditions similar to what drives the expansion of the cosmos.

MAKE IT SO!!

Peace,
spec

new topics

top topics

join