It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little AA battery trick they don't want you to know...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Who would have guessed a 6V battery was stuffed full of
AA batteries? I certainly had no idea. Has anyone ever tried
this? I'm just wondering how long the batteries will last...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well has anyone tried this cool little trick?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
remember somebody proving this as completely fake at some point, i think this was part of a series of trolling vids.

that said, i haven't tried this myself. anyone done it?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah, it's another hoaxer video...

edit on 11-3-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Each AA battery has 1.5 volts of power. Hooked up in series, it would take only 4 AA batteries to put out 6 volts of power.

32 batteries hooked up in series would put out 48 volts of power.

Looks like this video is probably a hoax put out by the 6 volt battery lobby to increase sales by gullible bargain hunters.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I know all batteries are made of cells
each chemical type provides a set voltage and current output
and thy are just ganged to get the various sizes

I buy similar packs at the dollar store for about the same cost

Gonna have to take a dead one apart...can't ruin it anymore then it is

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Each AA battery has 1.5 volts of power. Hooked up in series, it would take only 4 AA batteries to put out 6 volts of power.

Looks like this video is probably a hoax put out by the 6 volt battery lobby to increase sales by gullible bargain hunters.

if they are hooked up in parallel groups of 4 it ups the current which these lantern bats have:
higher current
note the amp hour ratings on the various "same voltage" "different physical sized" batteries

edit on 11-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

ROFL! That is funny. I suppose if it were true everyone would have been doing it by now.
It's a clever hoax though. Thank goodness for ATS, I was ready to go out and get one.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
how ever AA batteries have 6 small laser pointer like batteries.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The big 9v batteries maybe bunk but how about this one?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I managed to find rechargeables online for slightly more money than Duracell in a shop. I paid 17.50 bucks for a slow speed charger which comes with 4 AA batteries too. The batteries themselves are good for at least 1500 charges and keep 80% of their charge unused for a year. Sanyo Eneloop and Sanyo charger.

edit on 11/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

6 VoltThe 6-volt variety typically has spring or screw terminals. Different types have different internal construction; the same package size may be made up with "D" size or "F" size cells, giving different capacity. A double-size version (same size as two normal versions next to each other) exists for applications requiring more capacity.

en.wikipedia.org...

don't count it as a hoax to fast
what needs to be determined is if the cells are usable as batteries or if they need to be wired because of the case configuration
the cells themselves are a for sure

here
www.theodoregray.com...
cells, but not batteries...but....in a pinch to power something that couldn't handle the full current of a lantern battery ....

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I have never tried this myself, but you are not thinking about how electricity works. Yes, 4 AA is 6 volts @ approx. 2000ma. Now take the banks of 4 in series and wire the banks parallel. Result- 6 volts @ approx. 16000ma, or 1.6A.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

4 AA's run in series does give 6 volts but the amperage would be very low. However if you were to hook up 4 sets of 12 in parallel the amperage would go way up, then you hook those 4 sets of 12 up in series and you have high amperage 6 volts. Same as a 6 volt battery. Really this is not a hoax in a way since it could easily be achieved. There are actually battery holders that replace a 6 volt battery with 8 C Cell batteries.

ETA: Quantum beat me to it. And yes quantum it does work, my sons have RC cars that they race and we build our own Nickel Medal Hydride packs pretty much in this same way.
edit on 11-3-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I knew this for a while, but i didn't know they went to AA batteries. They used to use D cells in the 90's before that the 6V lantern batteries were one single cell.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
it says, right in the beginning..."gagvideos" production.....why did anyone think this was real?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
it says, right in the beginning..."gagvideos" production.....why did anyone think this was real?

Actually it probably is real, there are some companies who use smaller cells inside the 6V lantern battery cases. I know this from experience, but from what i remember they were D Cells not AA.
Personally myself i could care less, beings i dont waste my money on primaries anymore anyway alkaline are such a sales gimmick. I use secondaries, various Lithium chemistry and size cells from the little 1240 to the massive 2065. as well as Ni-MH and Ni-Cd cells in everything.
edit on 11-3-2012 by Pegasus2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

LOL...I was gonna go get two of em myself! Very interesting hoax there...I guess it's like an earlier post said, that would definitely drive up sales.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I love the op for sending this. this inform those who do not know what is fake or real. at least ats has placed the greatest minds at our disposable to figure this out in such a scientific manner

As the great akuma said. Shameful

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join