NYPD Officer Thrown in Psych Ward by Superiors After Revealing Systemic Corruption

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+31 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This is so wrong on so many levels, where do we start?

I guess it doesn't pay to be an honest cop these days. Imagine doing the right thing and getting thrown in the nut house for it.

He was only doing what he should be doing and that is fighting crime and corruption. But if it's within the precinct, it isn't a crime I guess. Only if it's me or you.

The boys in blue are protecting themselves more than the public and doing what's right. Nice little frat club for criminals and bullies I guess.

www.activistpost.com...

drian Schoolcraft of the New York Police Department’s (NYPD) 81st precinct in Brooklyn noticed some disturbing trends within the department and in response to his brave move to step forward, his superiors had him thrown in a psychiatric ward.

Schoolcraft realized that there was a pattern of the victims of crimes being caught up in bureaucratic hurdles which he thinks were deliberately put in place in order to make it harder to report serious crimes.
The complaints made by Officer Schoolcraft focused mostly on the NYPD’s alleged practice of manipulating crime statistics to give a false impression of effectiveness.

And here's an incident in detail:
blogs.villagevoice.com...

​On March 27, 2009, NYPD officer Adrian Schoolcraft taped a conversation with a fellow police officer in the 81st Precinct.

More info here on his previous claims:
www.villagevoice.com...

The Law Office of Jon L. Norinsberg and Cohen & Fitch, LLP have filed a lawsuit on Schoolcraft’s behalf against the City of New York and high ranking members of the NYPD and have launched an official website devoted to their efforts. I encourage you to support his struggle however you can.

Here's the site. Have a look at something that's really messed up IMO. Scroll down and listen to the "home invasion" audio recording. Did he have a hunch something was going to happen?
schoolcraftjustice.com...

Like many police officers, PO Schoolcraft joined the NYPD to help people and serve communities plagued by real crime; instead he was faced with enormous pressure to harass law abiding people in order to fudge statistics. Morally opposed to these policies, PO Schoolcraft refused to follow these unlawful orders and was met with retaliation from the highest levels of the NYPD.

Have a look at the complaint if you are inclined:
schoolcraftjustice.com...

ADRIAN SCHOOLCRAFT, Plaintiff, -against- THE CITY OF NEW YORK, DEPUTY CHIEF MICHAEL MARINO, Tax Id. 873220, Individually and in his Official Capacity, ASSISTANT CHIEF PATROL BOROUGH BROOKLYN NORTH GERALD NELSON, Tax Id. 912370, Individually and in his Official Capacity, DEPUTY INSPECTOR STEVEN MAURIELLO, Tax Id. 895117, Individually and in his Official Capacity, CAPTAIN THEODORE LAUTERBORN, Tax Id. 897840, Individually and in his Official Capacity, LIEUTENANT JOSEPH GOFF, Tax Id. 894025, Individually and in his Official Capacity, SGT. FREDERICK SAWYER, Shield No. 2576, Individually and in his Official Capacity, SERGEANT KURT DUNCAN, Shield No. 2483, Individually and in his Official Capacity, LIEUTENANT CHRISTOPHER BROSCHART, Tax Id. 915354, Individually and in his Official Capacity, LIEUTENANT TIMOTHY CAUGHEY, Tax Id. 885374, Individually and in his Official Capacity, SERGEANT SHANTEL JAMES, Shield No. 3004 and P.O.’s “JOHN DOE” #1-50, Individually and in their Official Capacity (the name John Doe being fictitious, as the true names are presently unknown) (collectively referred to as “NYPD defendants”), JAMAICA HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER, DR. ISAK ISAKOV, Individually and in his Official Capacity, DR. LILIAN ALDANA-BERNIER, Individually and in her Official Capacity and JAMAICA HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER EMPLOYEE’S “JOHN DOE” # 1-50, Individually and in their Official Capacity (the name John Doe being fictitious, as the true names are presently unknown), Defendants.

Peace

edit on 11-3-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I saw the title and thought to myself this is a mistake he meant to say Arizona or MCSO.
I guess these guys are crooked everywhere.

Schoolcraft’s precinct commander and a deputy chief both ordered him to be forcibly removed from his apartment and locked up in the psychiatric ward of Jamaica Hospital for six days.

That is just insane, poor guy.
edit on 11-3-2012 by stewiegriffin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thank you for posting. You have no idea how this story resonates with me - if only I was in a situation where I could speak freely. In time I will speak - loudly and clearly for anyone who wants to listen and learn.

The officer at the heart of this story is one worthy Soul - more power to him and people like him. I hardly need to elaborate - crime is everywhere and anyone in the awakened state knows that crime and corruption are at every level of many an organisation.

Officer Schoolcraft has the courage we need to see in more people. I want to see him win the legal battle.

Much Peace...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Kind of reminds me of something I saw in a movie...

I'd be playing the Bill Murray part when the green military vans come down our streets looking for NDAA opposition.

This is how it's done with whistle blowers, does anyone still deny this goes on?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
hey remember stalinist CCCP?
if you questioned the government you had to be insane and they locked you up in a nice gulag for your own good.

In the Soviet Union, systematic political abuse of psychiatry took place. Soviet psychiatric hospitals were used by the authorities as prisons in order to isolate hundreds or thousands of political prisoners from the rest of society, discredit their ideas, and break them physically and mentally.[12] This method was also employed against religious prisoners and most especially against well-educated former atheists who adopted a religion. In such cases their religious faith was determined to be a form of mental illness that needed to be cured.[13] Formerly highly classified extant documents from “Special file” of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union published after the dissolution of the Soviet Union demonstrate that the authorities of the country quite consciously used psychiatry as a tool to suppress dissent.[14]

Following the fall of the Soviet Union, it was often reported that some opposition activists and journalists were detained in Russian psychiatric institutions in order to intimidate and isolate them from society.In modern Russia, human rights activists also face the threat of psychiatric diagnosis as a means of political repression.
en.wikipedia.org...

the behaviors that supposedly expressed mental illness were often the same as the behaviors that expressed social aberrance, deviance, and "immorality." Many people were hospitalized with a diagnosis of "moral insanity." This concept may have been a precursor to the current diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder, but it also included such Victorian no-nos as masturbation and extramarital sex. There were also claims that husbands brought their wives to institutions just to be rid of them.

The commitment law was created as a move toward reform. In 1874, Mrs. E.B.W. Packard, a one-woman whirlwind of a reform movement, successfully lobbied in the state of Maine for passage of a law to protect against wrongful commitment. She had been committed to an institution by her husband, a Calvinist minister, for arguing with him about Calvinist theology and feminism. Historians believe that Mrs. Packard probably did have a psychotic disorder, but that she would not need to be hospitalized according to modern standards. Before passage of the commitment law, in some states a husband could commit a wife to a psychiatric institution solely at the discretion of the superintendent of the institution. Mrs. Packard felt that a law creating a more formal process of commitment would bring order and justice to the system. In practice, though, people continued to be committed involuntarily for reasons having more to do with social control than psychiatric treatment.

Husbands ridding themselves of wives via the psychiatric institution was still enough of a problem in the 1930s that the first woman in Maine's legislature, Gail Laughlin, authorized a bill penalizing husbands for bringing false testimony in the involuntary commitment hearings of their wives. I worked with a patient who in the 1960s had been brought to the hospital by her husband. The chief complaint listed on the admitting record was: "Patient does not do her housework

psychrights.org...

Maybe the cop didn't do his dishes?

The labelling of dissent — politics and psychiatry behind the Great Wall

pb.rcpsych.org...

well, the zionist funded system has arrived
edit on 11-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Sounds too crazy to be true but...

I posted another thread earlier of a 12 yr old girl being forced by her school AND the police to hand over her FB password because of her statements of not liking a hall monitor. They did this without her parents permission or even knowledge of the situation.
12-Year-Old Girl Sues School for Spying on Her Facebook Account

Messed up times indeed.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I guess it doesn't pay to be an honest cop these days. Imagine doing the right thing and getting thrown in the nut house for it.
reply to post by jude11

If ones "Blue-Blood" starts turning "Red". There are certain steps to take to ensure future blue blood thinks twice before they tell.

I can understand though. It does seem disrespectful to disrespect the code of the blue.

After all they do protect us from law breakers and stuff right?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfHart

reply to post by jude11

If ones "Blue-Blood" starts turning "Red". There are certain steps to take to ensure future blue blood thinks twice before they tell.

I can understand though. It does seem disrespectful to disrespect the code of the blue.

After all they do protect us from law breakers and stuff right?

Difficult to see who the REAL criminals are these days. But it is getting easier to spot the blue ones since there are so many.

Once a proud profession but no more. It truly is us against them and they should remember to look around to see just how outnumbered they really are.

It ain't going to be pretty.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I didnt see this in your post - Queens DA looking into NYPD actions

The Queens District Attorney has also opened up an investigation into NYPD in terms of everything that occured and specifically the psyche ward issue.

Im not quite sure how it works in New York, but in my state we call it a 96 hour hold. The individual must make a statement against self intrest that would suggest he/she intends to harm themselves or they are detached from reality where they could injure themselves unknowingly. It also allows psyche evals for a person who is also homicidal. The person must make the statements in front of the police. If they dont we can use sworn statements from family / friends who was present and heard the statements.

We transport to the nearest Hospital, where we / family / friends fill out statements detailing the threats / actions / behaviors. That info goes to the Medical Doctor for basic review and is then sent on to Psyche nurses for evaluation. If they confirm the info the info is forwarded to the Psychiatrist who makes the final determination if the 96 hour hold will be invoked or not.

Heres why the above is important. A 96 hour hold in my state is essentially a civil arrest that is governed by Criminal statutes. If a person is involuntary, then the Psyche staff has 24 hours to report to the courts who they are holding against their will and all supporting documentation to justify that hold.

The patient is allowed acess to a lawyer as well as the ability to refuse medication before any court appearence.

Those statutes will vary from state to state but Supreme Court rulings have established a "legal box" for these issues. Forcing an individual with no supporting evidence into a pysche facility is bad enough (not to mention a violation of all sorts of local / state and FEderal laws). What makes it worse is the apprent lack of action on the part of the medical staff.

From what I see in the info this officer has a solid case and I hope like hell he gets his day in court. NYPD should be asking this guy how many 0's he wants after the 1 on the settlement check.

Secondly, I would like to see the Feds launch and investigation.

Third, and I have only seen this happen 2 times in my states history and hope it applies to New York as well, there have been major corruption issues in 2 sheriff's departments. It was so bad the State Police showed up at the Sheriffs department and jail facility and took every single member, including the sheriff, into custody for corruption and other violations.

When they were done there was only 1 deputy left who was not arrested, and that was because he was new.

Sounds like NYPD might need the attention these 2 sheriff's department received.

Granted this is not New York law, however I would be shocked if they dont have similar requirements in place. Then again it is the Democratic Peoples Republic of New York.....

Thanks for posting the info
edit on 11-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This reminds me of Orwells "Ministry of Truth"

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Sounds too crazy to be true but...

I posted another thread earlier of a 12 yr old girl being forced by her school AND the police to hand over her FB password because of her statements of not liking a hall monitor. They did this without her parents permission or even knowledge of the situation.
12-Year-Old Girl Sues School for Spying on Her Facebook Account

Messed up times indeed.

Peace

The term is "in loco parentis". Was the officer present a regular officer or school resource / juvenile officer?

If a threat was made the police would be within the law to take a forced action to prevent a possible death / injury / etc to the school. It falls under the same criteria where a mitigating ciircumstance exists that allows law enforcement to essentially ignore certain protections / civil rights if death / serious physical injury is imminent.

A psyche patient who makes a threat against a 3rd party in the presence of the Pyshce Doctor / nurse is not covered under patient - doctor confidentiallity.

Its a tight rope walk without a balance bar in hand and can often lead to certain charges being thrown out the window if the police cannot justify in detail the reason for the specific action. Its so problematic that it is rarely used.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thanx Xcathdra,

So much going on with this issue right now.

I didn't know about the 96 hr hold but it does make sense and as for the lawyer, the OP points towards it. This is a very interesting story and I believe that most can see it for what it is...corruption and lies.

Unfortunately, even if he is granted a court date I don't think he'll see the day arrive. A lot of Blue Boys with a lot of guns that have a lot to lose = (insert scenario here)

Wouldn't be the first time.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Actually in this case I could easily see New York State Police or the FBI conducting the investigation to ensure a complete and total accounting of what occured. Its issues like this where the typical agency to agency cooperation and niceties would give way to court orders / subpoena for information / records / interviews etc.

The biggest issue I see, and why I think it should be handeled by the Feds is the Police Union in New York. If the corruption is that bad in the officer ranks while on the job, it makes one wonder what might be going on at the union off the clock.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

If the corruption is that bad in the officer ranks while on the job

But, this story is NOT about officer corruption in the ranks (although god knows that exists big time in NYC) but rather it's about officer's manipulating arrests so that crime statistics stay LOW. I'm pretty sure they didn't come up with that idea on their own. No, this is some type of directive from the narcissist/psychopath team of Mayor Bloomberg and Commissioner Kelly and other higher ups, to show how good they are at their jobs.

That's why Schoolcraft is being treated so harshly. He's exposing THEM.

But even after the top echelons of the NYPD knew the results of the report, police officials continued to attack Schoolcraft's credibility, suspended him and served him with administrative charges, refused to pay him for 27 months, and even blocked his unemployment benefits. He was also placed under surveillance.

Browne has yet to respond to Voice questions about this raging contradiction of facts emanating from Police Commissioner Ray Kelly's 14th Floor offices.

blogs.villagevoice.com...

Bloomberg did the same thing with the schools - he manipulated the test scores to make it seem the schools were doing better.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

it wasn't just in the sov. union where you'd be classified as mental

happens here in amerika

Is Schizophrenia Really a Black Disease? bigthink.com...

Who decides what "insane" means? This was the major question of Ken Kesey's countercultural classic "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," which illustrated how mental illness could be deployed by the establishment to crush the individual. But a recent book by University of Michigan psychiatry professor Jonathan Metzl suggests that Kesey's novel might not have been far from non-fiction. In "The Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease," Metzl documents the shifting interpretations of schizophrenia through the 20th century, tracing its evolution from a "white middle-class woman's disease" to an "African-American man's disease." Specifically, with the political upheaval of the civil rights movement, popular culture began to associate angry black men with schizophrenia, which in turn influenced the way doctors interpreted and diagnosed the illness.
"In particularly the early 1920s, 1930s, 1940s when the idea of schizophrenia itself was first coming to the United States from Europe there was a general assumption that persons who suffered from schizophrenia were either shy or calm or they were geniuses," Metzl says. "It was often represented as an illness that afflicted white novelists or poets and as I say, these were very often in popular and psychiatric representation assumed to be white people." But during the massive societal upheavals in the middle of century, ideas of sanity and insanity took on new meaning. "All of a sudden in the 1960s, American culture, newspapers, magazines, movies start to represent angry African-American men as in part being inflicted with a new form of this particular illness," and this change in popular perception of the disease directly influenced the clinical definition of it, Metzl argues. "All of a sudden in 1968, the second version of the Diagnostic Manual comes out and there is new language that says 'aggression, hostility, projection.'" The image of a schizophrenic person was all of a sudden more violent and unstable than the schizophrenic of 20 years before.

The practical consequences of this popular-cum-clinical shift in perception was that in the 1960s far more African-American men were institutionalized in psychiatric wards with schizophrenia. "Some had committed crimes, some had participated in civil rights protests, some had been participants in urban riots at the time. They all passed through various forms of the penal system and ended up diagnosed with schizophrenia and locked in the psychiatric wards," says Metzl. But were these men really schizophrenic? Or were they victims of shifting clinical definitions of disease, one that was prone to metaphoric interpretation?

How Schizophrenia Became a "Black Disease" bigthink.com...

don't forget the new "confrontational disorder" slapped around willy nilly against those who won't bend the knee
edit on 11-3-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added reply

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Incarcerating someone for being mentally unfit has
legal ground only if the person is harming himself physically
or is a danger of bringing physical harm to others.
Did he physically threaten anyone ? or attempt suicide ?
If not, they had no grounds to commit him.
Only Stalin would order otherwise.
Being 'crazy' is not a crime.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

But, this story is NOT about officer corruption in the ranks (although god knows that exists big time in NYC) but rather it's about officer's manipulating arrests so that crime statistics stay LOW. I'm pretty sure they didn't come up with that idea on their own... snipped

Which would be corruption would it not?
edit on 12-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Corruption, no question. I was just pointing out that it isn't the run of the mill officers gone wild type. The roots of this appear to go pretty deep as far as who is directing it.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Anyone remember Serpico? NYPD has been a muddled mess for many years. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm a police officer in Arkansas and I salute this officer for standing up for himself and the Constitution. I hope and pray he receives more than he is asking for and I hope that the two Chiefs do jail-time for their complicity in this heinous and cowardly act.

One poster above stated (paraphrasing) that there are more of us than there are cops. Don't forget that there are good cops out here also. Sometimes I get so disheartened by all the negative comments about police. I do understand where the disparaging remarks are coming from. I used to get mad when the public would curse us and talk bad about us and then when the shtf we are always the first people they call for help. After we help, they go back to hating us. Now I just take it with a grain of salt. I have always done my job to the best of my ability. I'm not special, I just believe in the Constitution as do a lot of police out there.

One of the major problems with policing is the 'good ole boy' attitude. From the very beginning of your career as an officer you are constantly bombarded with the image of "its us against the world" and we only have ourselves to rely on. You are so brainwashed from the start to understand that the police can do no wrong and if they do it is our job to cover up for them. We have to stick together.

Unfortunately the above is very true and if you, as a police officer, do not conform to the "norm" then you may not have backup when you need it. Your very life can be in the hands of the officer that you may have reported for some infraction such as police brutality. In smaller departments if you make a report on a fellow officer you are labeled a snitch and other officers distance themselves from you.

I am still a police officer by state definition but I'm not employed at this time since I was run over by a vehicle while working an accident. I'm now disabled but hope to go back to work one day. I was an officer at the Helena-West Helena, Arkansas police department where the feds cracked down on the city and county officers that were helping drug dealers run their dope (Operation Delta Blues). I am very aware of the rampant corruption in law-enforcement.

Bottom line I guess is that just remember there are some good cops out there. Don't throw us all under the bus.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join