It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane spotting - Piaggio Avanti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I don't seem to see these flying around these parts often. Usually it's Cessnas or Lear Jets or something of a more common configuration. So when I looked up to see what it was (it makes a lower than normal prop sound) I took some pics. (I do nature photography when hiking - in case some interesting critters or plants are spotted, so I had my good camera this time. Even then AF with a full 300mm zoom is finicky at times.)

Also since I'm familiar enough with the local airport, I went and got a picture of it parked at KUGN.

Unusual looking bird, huh? Not all the weird ones are military.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pauljs75

I hardly believe anyone would assume that type of plane to be a military craft anyways.

Usual yes, military no.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Pretty funny, and timely, that you brought this up!

A few weeks ago I heard an airplane overhead, and was struck by the oddness of the sound. To my ear it resembled a high-bypass turbofan at flight idle power....but also that characteristic "growling" noise of the same turbofan at high power settings.

It had sub-notes of a turboprop, too. So, since the "chemtrail" debate (gag) is so common nowadays, I was ready with Flight Aware to identify it.

Should have grabbed a screen shot. Too long ago, to show up on the Flight Aware search.

As I recall, it had left from near Oakland, CA....(I'm on the West Coast) and the destination was Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

When I looked up the N-Number, seems it was operated by (or associated with) this company:

www.avantair.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

I always loved the look of the Rutan VariEze and LongEze.

I was always surprised that the canard design was not evident in more aircraft.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Nice! NetJets operates several of them. I got a hat from one of the pilots as a matter of fact
We get one a few times during summer that flies into our small local airport, as certain celbs come here to flyfish, a few have houses around here too- I'm in southwest Montana.
They do make a strange sound huh? Very distinct.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Piaggio P.180

Nice looking bird.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJRichey
They do make a strange sound huh? Very distinct.

When I first heard the noise as it was approaching over the lake, I thought it was something more vintage. (Was expecting a WWII era aircraft, until I saw what it was.) The initial sound reminded me of some of those ol' radial engined aircraft. Didn't hear the turbine whine part much until it went past.

Still a cool (and unusual looking) aircraft, but very modern.

I'm also surprised there aren't more "plane spotting" threads here. I'm not a hard-core plane spotter (some people keep tabs on everything with tail-numbers, livery, etc.), but if there's anything really different than the norm I'll try to get pics if I have a camera handy.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Originally posted by pauljs75

I hardly believe anyone would assume that type of plane to be a military craft anyways.

Usual yes, military no.

You should believe :-) Italian air force is one of the biggest operators of the type.

i.imgur.com...

top topics

join