It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marriageable age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Due to some comments about the Prophet Muhammad being attracted to young
girls, I had to create this thread for the confused folks out there....

In the past, it was normal to marry at a young age, so why keep on
saying the same lie over and over again?

Aren't people here honest about denying ignorance ?

In the 12th century Gratian, the influential founder of Canon law in medieval Europe, accepted age of puberty for marriage to be between 12 and 14 but acknowledged consent to be meaningful if the children were older than 7.

It should be noted that Judges honored marriages based on mutual consent at ages younger than 7, in spite of what Gratian had said; there are recorded marriages of 2 and 3 year olds.[1]

The American colonies followed the English tradition, and the law was more of a guide. For example, Mary Hathaway (Virginia, 1689) was only 9 when she was married to William Williams. Sir Edward Coke (England, 17th century) made it clear that "the marriage of girls under 12 was normal, and the age at which a girl who was a wife was eligible for a dower from her husband's estate was 9 even though her husband be only four years old.

I'm not saying it is right to marry a young girl, all I'm saying is, the prophet of Islam was alive in around
600 AD, way before the examples Wikipedia gives. And yet there are still ignorant accusations about him being
a pedophile.

If he was,well, most of our ancestors were as well.

WIKI Marriageable age

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Anybody who wants to have sex with a 9 year old child is a pedophile and worthy only of death imo.

ETA: Not that our arbitrary age of 18 would have made any sense when most people died in their 30s and 40s, but if they are not at least past puberty then leave them alone and let them be children.
edit on 11-3-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I got married for the first time when I was 14 he was 19. There is a good reason there are laws against this in most states. It lasted seven months and ended with a restraining notice and scars I will carry for the rest of my life.

To any young girls out there He is NOT attracted to you because you are SO mature for your age. He's attracted to you because HE is broken in a way all the love in the world can't fix. My advice to you is to RUN.

People used to get married young because they didn't live as long. They also used to have 20 kids because most of them didn't survive to be adults and you needed the hands to keep the farm going.

Normal well adjusted men are NOT attracted to little girls.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
I got married for the first time when I was 14 he was 19. There is a good reason there are laws against this in most states. It lasted seven months and ended with a restraining notice and scars I will carry for the rest of my life.

To any young girls out there He is NOT attracted to you because you are SO mature for your age. He's attracted to you because HE is broken in a way all the love in the world can't fix. My advice to you is to RUN.

People used to get married young because they didn't live as long. They also used to have 20 kids because most of them didn't survive to be adults and you needed the hands to keep the farm going.

Normal well adjusted men are NOT attracted to little girls.

I totally agree with LadySoph here.

Considering the average lifespans we have today, I would consider that even a 17 year old may well be too immature to make such a choice.

A normal well adjusted guy (which I assume myself to be) would be looking for a companion about his age. Someone who understands and lives through the same stuff. I mean, if it's serious, it is forever.

I can hardly imagine having a particularly deep relationship with a child, when you are an old guy. It's just imbalanced.

edit on 11/3/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I totally agree with your post.

All I'm saying is, it's stupid to accuse someone of being a pedophile when it was the norm
in a distant past.

The point of this thread is about historical cultural practice of the past, not about today's standards,
get it ??

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Times have changed it's no longer needed to keep the species going.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I totally agree with your post.

All I'm saying is, it's stupid to accuse someone of being a pedophile when it was the norm
in a distant past.

The point of this thread is about historical cultural practice of the past, not about today's standards,
get it ??

The real question here would be, how old were the husbands back then? were they also 12, 14, 9? younger? or are we talking about 40 year old men marrying 9 year old girls, as opposed to 9 year old girls marrying a 14 year old boy who had already turned into a man and was looking to start his own family? ( back then you were a man at 14, now we have 30 year old men who still behave like spoiled teens)

There's a very big difference between a 30+ year old man who marries a 9 year old girl, looking to have her pregnant by 12, and an arranged marriage between two kids almost the same age.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
people also used to kill their children... a lot.

Sure, they made it seem like sacrifices because that thing in their head we now call a conscience was bothering them so they had to make an excuse but really... they were just child murderers.

yeah, it's wrong but this is mankind we are talking about.

Pedophilia is bad but so is having your young go fight your false battles for you.
This evil thing is inside of man all the way around and he condemns it while he denies it in himself.

to this very day even in the most civilized of nations, we do these types of things in many ways... sell children over to terrible fates. It's all the same.

This is why we need big change.

top topics

join