It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wouldn't Eternal Life Get Boring?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Some questions.

Let's say there is a Heaven, let's say you die and go there. Are people supposed to exist there forever in the same state of bliss? Couldn't eternal bliss get boring? Surely you need a balance of emotions, some negative, to appreciate that bliss, otherwise this blissful, heavenly state is more about being in some sort of permanent hypnotic happy trance.

I know some people believe in reincarnation of course and some believe they can choose to reincarnate if they wished to once in Heaven (although surely it wouldn't say much for Heaven if people wanted to come 'back' down here though)

Also, how much of our personality would we retain on entrance to heaven? All of it? Even if you have neurosis of some sort? If going to Heaven somehow filtered out these mental defects couldn't that have a knock on effect on the rest of your personality therefore changing it, possibly completely? That'd be strange for the loved ones you'd meet up there wouldn't it, seeing as how you'd look the same but wasn't the same person?

I know no one really knows how it works but all I ask for is opinions.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Couldn't eternal bliss get boring? Surely you need a balance of emotions, some negative, to appreciate that bliss, otherwise this blissful, heavenly state is more about being in some sort of permanent hypnotic happy trance.

Yahtzee! Can you even imagine how boring eternal bliss and omnipotence could be without conflict? The experience we share collectively here is the whole point of all this suffering and turmoil, without it, how would we know any better? Good can't exist without evil, the eternal balance of nature.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Couldn't eternal bliss get boring? Surely you need a balance of emotions, some negative, to appreciate that bliss, otherwise this blissful, heavenly state is more about being in some sort of permanent hypnotic happy trance.

Yahtzee! Can you even imagine how boring eternal bliss and omnipotence could be without conflict? The experience we share collectively here is the whole point of all this suffering and turmoil, without it, how would we know any better? Good can't exist without evil, the eternal balance of nature.

that ^ being the above quote just answered your question. Doing the same things as yourself would be boring after 100years perhaps so I guess if we can/could reincarnate than it's purpose is to put us into another body another perspective. No two people can share the exact same experience visually, through touch, taste,sound.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

This is the thing. The mind would become utterly numb. The impression I get in general is that people think Heaven equates to eternal bliss. It couldn't be for the sake of sanity.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

I believe we are given a choice to return to the physical, perhaps even a different form of existance... who knows though...

The idea of being "bored" is only a recent term... which came with the invention of TV.

I hardly think it would apply to another form of existance, especially the spiritual realm...

Only humans can be bored... because our lives are one big "distraction"

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I hardly think it would apply to another form of existance, especially the spiritual realm...

That would relate to my question about how much of our personalities would we retain in a spiritual realm.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I believe we are given a choice to return to the physical, perhaps even a different form of existance... who knows though...

Isn't it possible that a person could choose to reincarnate simply because they were indeed bored? Boredom would be good motivation eh'?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Faced with eternal darkness or eternal life I'd choose eternal life. Regardless of how boring or mundane it would get, at least there is always hope for something new.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

That would relate to my question about how much of our personalities would we retain in a spiritual realm.

Good question... read this.

reluctant-messenger.com...

Isn't it possible that a person could choose to reincarnate simply because they were indeed bored? Boredom would be good motivation eh'?

Its a theory...

Another is that God got lonely and wanted to experience himself / itself... And life is a reflection of God. He experiences himself through you...

Life is one big theory

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I don't know if heaven exists and, if it does, what it's like. I have wondered about it, and I'm certain floating on fluffy clouds playing the harp wouldn't do anything for me except to give me calluses.

Given the attention span of the average American, immortality is going to last forever.

In my heaven (what I would want heaven to be) I could choose to do anything to further my own understanding. Perhaps watch the formation of a new world; participate in a fascinating historical event; experience both positive and negative occurrences just for the experience. Kinda like an adrenaline junkie who indulges in extreme sports.

Have you ever read Anne Rice's novels about vampires? One of the interesting thing about those novels is that immortality ends up a curse that drives one insane.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

to be honest, in my opinion heaven is what you imagine it will be,

it will be custom made just for YOU...you'll have everything that you've always wanted super powers, and maybe even the ability to "create" or "imagine" people things and objects into your reality..

maybe you can even re-create your own battles and scenarios, even conflicts...

i have always wondered about this... what if heaven gets boring?

better yet.....

imagine hell?...would you get used to the pain and torture? would that become boring as well?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Nothing last forever, but it can be transformed. So I don't think we go to eternal life but are already experiencing it. The only difference is we never stay the same but yet always exist.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0rbital

then how would you explain children with physical, and mental problems?

did the disenbodied souls "choose" to be re-incarnated into the body of a child with down syndrome?

or is reincarnation kind of like a gamble?

for example: you get bored in heaven, so god gives you a choice..." you will be reincarnated on earth, to live another life once again, however you will not have a choice of who you will be reincarnated into"

thats a pretty big gamble

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
When people pose this question they always seem to forget one thing -

Eternity is not boundless time, it is the absence of time.

Therefore, you will not experience eternity durationally.

Something we literally have no existential concept of in mind or body - to any degree, whatsoever, as everything we experience at this juncture is linear (barring true mediation but that's another thread entirely).

So no, "boredom" will not be an issue.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes
[
or is reincarnation kind of like a gamble?

Wish I knew. I know reincarnation is a possibility but it's not something I personally believe happens. I believe I'm actually what people would call an agnostic, though I'm curious about beliefs hence the thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Have you taken into account the veil of amnesia?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatednotilluminati
Have you taken into account the veil of amnesia?

Wouldn't that be the same as reincarnation? Please explain more.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This poked a great hole in my logic. I believe that once we leave our physical body, our soul escapes the body and we travel back to our home planet or dimension and we can choose to reincarnate anywhere we want.

Great thread OP

S & F

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickGrimes

it will be custom made just for YOU...you'll have everything that you've always wanted super powers, and maybe even the ability to "create" or "imagine" people things and objects into your reality..

maybe you can even re-create your own battles and scenarios, even conflicts...

i have always wondered about this... what if heaven gets boring?

That sounds cool as a cucumber. I actually do think we need at least some amount of strife for our minds to stay healthy. Although, as has been stated, in a spiritual realm we might think in an entirely different way.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I believe Jesus is the way into heaven. This lady once told me heaven isnt what you would think. its not like oh its you so and so or hey dude, its our souls that remain forever in the light with God. just my beliefs, but until we get there no ones knows...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join