It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians have no right to wear crosses, British government says

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by IronArm

Also you are judging him and calling him irresponsible.
Oh I forgot you are soooo much better then anyone else because you have faith pffttt.
Your mood even says Fanatical Bigot Pfftttt. Be gone!!

I did in no what say that I am better, I am saying that people should be responsible.

The Fanatical Bigot thing is sarcasm, as being a white male, as well as a Christian generaly gets me into trouble with "liberals" as we call them in Canada.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yes.
I'm so sorry that so many Christians really don't seem to grasp the concept of 'grace'.
Even if this is equally unpalatable as a response, you could argue that the christian friend you talk about, should be desperate to get into that cab with the muslim driver, and share their faith so that the muslim driver would accept Jesus and not go to hell!?!
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?!?

I agree with you but she is so blinded by her faith.
I personally have time for anyone with faith unless they use it to belittle someone (like another poster here).
What would Jesus do well back to the OP he sure wouldn't want to see any cross ever again so he would ban them too

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Anyhow back to the OP and to sum up, it is not the Government wanting to ban the cross it is business and the government is just saying it is not a requirement to wear a cross to be a christian and so it's up to each business to decide yes or no.
Cheers all for the chat cya around.
edit on 12-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I wouldn't say she is blinded by her faith...she is just another person claming to be Christian, but not understanding the point of following the path of Jesus. We are called to share Jesus, not keep Him to ourselves. And I don't get why she wouldn't ride with a Muslim...One who doesn't speak English I could have a problem with getting from point A to point B.

But like I say, the problem with Christians is the people. I have to admit I've drove people nuts against God too, because I won't bend to the ways of the world.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I worked in a UK office environment for a while and the HR manager there was a regular church attendee. I can't say I found it offensive that she wore a cross. Perhaps some people are looking at it as displaying a torture device. I really don't see a problem with it if this is the case. People have worn far more offensive t-shirts on casual Friday from my memory. If it is the case the people believe that wearing a cross is an attempt to force their beliefs on others then they need to realize that the person wearing the cross does not put on the cross, knowing that they are going out with the intent to force their beliefs on others.
Rather than focusing on menial things like a necklace in the work place, more important issues should be addressed when it comes to religion and the general public. For one thing; tax breaks should not be given to religious organizations. Somebody has to pay their way and it usually ends up being the general public in the form of income tax. The tax breaks are something which effects even the non-believers and this should not be the case. There are other issues like the influence that the religious organizations have on governmental decision making in general affairs, it will be a while until religion can be severed from it's governmental ties but if you work with kid gloves then it's eventual removal can happen.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I get what you mean here...and that was harsh of me I admit. I didn't mean for it to be a belittling comment...jsut a statement of where I came from I suppose.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

What would Jesus do well back to the OP he sure wouldn't want to see any cross ever again so he would ban them too
reply to post by boymonkey74

Cute answer, but I seem to remember that He said 'If anyone would come after Me, let him take up his cross, deny himself and follow me'....
Agreed, not the point that YOU were making. Some people wear their crosses on the outside (and should be allowed as far as I'm concerned, be it a faith or fashion statement).
Some wear their crosses on the inside (where eyes, political correctness and mob mentality cannot touch it).
These are the crosses Jesus looks for in His disciples. It's an internal personal decision to follow in hope and humility.
Therein lies a problem! Jesus never wore a cross to get peoples' attention. But He had a message I consider of vital importance.
Do I need to wear a cross to portray Jesus to the world around me?
And if I don't, should I deny those that feel they do or want to?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

I get what you mean here...and that was harsh of me I admit. I didn't mean for it to be a belittling comment...jsut a statement of where I came from I suppose.

Snap sorry for going off on one thats why I changed it
cya around

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

That is actually one of the best Pro-Christian statements I've seen on this site.

Be the salt and light of the earth.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Miyuki

brilliant answer
cheers
dave

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I think people should have the right to wear whatever they want, and it's damn shame if the governments have their say in it. What you all think ?
reply to post by samsamm9

The women in question; one a British Airways worker and the other a Nurse both wear uniforms. Dress code in most big companies tend to limit jewellery to earrings at best. Company policy dictates the removal of hanging and or excessive jewellery usually because it tends to get caught on things or even people. (I would have thought it appropriate for a nurse of all professions.)

In a world where almost every Country in the world is over governed and those bureaucrats pander to big business, they can and do set and change the rules whenever the fancy strikes them. If it is a woman's right to wear whatever she pleases in western society, surely that includes jewellery of her choice?

Unfortunately, the companies that dismissed these women for not complying will be seen as nothing more than upholding the company dress code policy.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Is it just me or does it feel like immigrants (particularly of the muslim variety) are being given more and more rights, while the local people are being stripped of their own?

Can't just be me.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yourignoranceisbliss

hya
no its not you
its this efing gov

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Britain is turning into a Totalitarian fascist state. I am actually starting to feel ashamed and repulsed to live here.

First they take biblical history out of the schools, then they ban nativity plays out of shops and schools and prayer in council meetings, and now they are trying to stop us from wearing a cross?

If people don't wake up to see what there trying to do this country will be in ruins quicker then people think.

Whether people like it or not this country was built on Christian principals and most of our heritage has deep roots in Christianity. When we start removing those thing what will this country have left? The answer is nothing.

People need to take a stand and fight against this tyranny. The curse of political correctness in this country is destroying Britain from the inside out.

Words cannot explain how angry I am right now. If this sort of injustice continues all our freedoms will be stripped from us.
edit on 12-3-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
So does this mean that businesses have the right to say Muslim women shouldn't wear a Hijab?

reply to post by RevelationGeneration

It is planned that way.
edit on 12-3-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Did anyone actually READ the article? It's on about employers saying if a staff member can wear the cross AT WORK. NOT the government saying if you can wear the cross in PUBLIC.

If an employer chooses to allow you to work for them they have the right to tell you what you wear and how you wear it.
It should fall under staff uniform, which by the sounds of it, it is.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
Britain is turning into a Totalitarian fascist state. I am actually starting to feel ashamed and repulsed to live here.

First they take biblical history out of the schools, then they ban nativity plays out of shops and schools and prayer in council meetings, and now they are trying to stop us from wearing a cross?

If people don't wake up to see what there trying to do this country will be in ruins quicker then people think.

Whether people like it or not this country was built on Christian principals and most of our heritage has deep roots in Christianity. When we start removing those thing what will this country have left? The answer is nothing.

People need to take a stand and fight against this tyranny. The curse of political correctness in this country is destroying Britain from the inside out.

Words cannot explain how angry I am right now. If this sort of injustice continues all our freedoms will be stripped from us.
edit on 12-3-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately for you, this country is NOT a Christian country and never has been. It originally fell in to nature-based beliefs in a similar fashion to modern day Paganism and Druidism. Which was then taken over/bastardized by anciet and now modern Christianity.

And in todays age, it is multi-faith. It is not your country, it is our country. It is not a Christian country it is a country of varying faith and non-belief.

Imo organized religion has ruined the world as to what it was and what it could have been. Religion does not create nice people, it does not create morals, it does not create peace. I'm not saying lack of faith does either.

And prayer at council meetings? Disgusting.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by voidla

Did anyone actually READ the article? It's on about employers saying if a staff member can wear the cross AT WORK. NOT the government saying if you can wear the cross in PUBLIC.

If an employer chooses to allow you to work for them they have the right to tell you what you wear and how you wear it.
It should fall under staff uniform, which by the sounds of it, it is.

Yup been trying to tell them that but as usual they just put fingers in their ears and go la la la la la.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by voidla

Agree with you here most people in this country don't goto church ever!. I know one or 2 Christians and I know many people who were brought up christian but have rejected it..myself included.
50.7% have put no religion in latest mini-census and Four in five britons want religion to be private, not public, and have no place in politics which I also believe.
Also people with higher IQ's are less likely to believe in God

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Not saying if I think it is correct but just read the article.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join