It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians have no right to wear crosses, British government says

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Mental health too and maybe they were snap on ties? thats what I wore.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
******* immigrants, migrant workers, people of different faiths, people of color, people without color, people with flags, people without them, gays, lesbians, straights, believers, non-believers, men, women, and children.

GET OVER IT! Everyone is different. Everyone. If me having a bigger d*** than you makes you uncomfortable, walk the other way, you aren't my wife. If me having more money than you makes you uncomfortable, leave I'm not spending it on you. If me believing in what I believe in offends you; your beliefs probably offend me in some way as well. If you have a different skin color than me and that hurts your feelings, f**k off and grow some self confidence. If my kid has straight A's while your kid's a D, become a better parent and pass some motherf***ing knowledge down once in a while.

If I want to live a solid life in America, 3 kids, a wife, a pair of dogs, a few acres, a picket fence, and a cross in my front yard so be it. You are more than welcome to throw stones and your women, make them wear what ever the hell you can get them to agree to wear, eat dogs, murder your female children, live in a cave or a shack or the streets, and fly a big old symbol of your religion as high as a kite. Lets agree to say f**k it and leave each other the hell alone.

Religion isn't killing people; governments are and certain political peoples personal claims to fame and fortune. Ignorance kills people because ignorant people cannot communicate; so they pull triggers instead and try to force their beliefs on others because they think it will make them feel better about their own crappy life. HARD WORK is what governments should be condoning; but you know what? That would mean they'd have more competition between nations for everything from GOP to their own jobs being up for grabs by anyone who's taken the time to learn to communicate.

What is everyones problem!? I'd like to grab the earth, the WHOLE earth and shake the sh*t out of it until people stop acting like pissy babies and learn to live next to people who are different than themselves. Everyone's not equal; that's the way life is. Regardless of if you win a case in court, you still won't be the same as anyone else...the only difference will be that the person you have grown to be is a bad person at heart.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I dont see a problem with this really.. like if the rule is made that if you work in the public sector (for the government, a government related arm or anythign dealing with the government) that you cannot have any religous artifacts on, no sign of religon then i do not see an issue with this.. why should there be, religon has no place in the work place. you should be religous on your own time and if the government sets these standards across the board for all religons (that deal in some way with the government) it is totally justifiable.

in terms of the private sector (unless they have government contracts) it should be up to the employer.. as i stated i feel religon has no place in the work place but that is a descision left to the management in private business to private business...

so to fully understand whats the issue then? are we suggesting this is only christians that are being subjected to some kind of anti christian hate or is this across the board...

if it is everyone... no issue, case closed... if you dont like it, get a new job.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Tsk, Tsk. Christians always thinking they are above everyone else. This isn't necessarily even about religion. If a workplace doesn't allow people to do their job and they choose to have a dyed green mohawk, as an excuse it is not the correct "outfit" or "appearance". Why should christians be an exception? When i worked in the supermarket as a teen i wore a hat to cover my hair (being bright green). If a christian wants to wear a cross at work, they can wear it under their clothes. Why should anyone have to see it? Because they are "god's people" and they are an exception, as always.

Originally posted by InsideYourMind

I believe it should be a question of freedom of choice.
The Burkha is not an essential for women of the islamic faith, but I challenge you to find (within the UK) examples of the government saying, 'No, you can't wear that. It's a non essential to your faith'.
This government (and the previous one) has bent over backwards to accomodate islam into it's notions of culture and democracy, and has become a sycophantic lap dog that will do anything to appease angry voices that suggest harrassment and infringement of civil liberty on religious grounds.
Apart from Christians.

David Cameron ranted not so long ago about how this was a 'Christian country' and that we shouldn't be afraid to say so and stand by those christian values and ideals.
And yet here we are. Guess his need to assuage the Lib Dems has shown his true colours:
Popularity at any price.

You know, seperation of Church and State (which I believe in,) works BOTH WAYS.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Personally, I think religion should be kept to one's self. I'm an atheist (for the most part), but I don't go around wearing upside down crosses or painting "Christ Crusher" on the hood of my car. Believe what you want, this is a given, but flaunting your beliefs in the form of fashion begs for prejudice and judgment from others, which is bad in a business environment.
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Well, there's the thing.
Define your 'religion'.
I'm from the UK, so this is my basis of argument: Should we stop people from wearing Manchester Utd/Manchester City/Arsenal/Chelsea t-shirts in public, or at their work place?
Let me try further afiled:
If you see someone behind a bar wearing a 'Redsox' top, or a 'Dallas Cowboys' T shirt, a 'Washington Redskins' scarve, or a '(insert apropriate alternative item of clothing here,)' whilst they are serving you your drink/food, do you/should you get bent out of shape over it and demand that they take off/remove the offending item?
I guess my argument is, people have a VERY NARROW VIEW / MYOPIC UNDERSTANDING of what 'Religion' is.

Discuss..

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

Look a lot of it really depends on your work place (we are not talking about private life here) your employer has every right to have dress codes (including footie tops etc) and rules to protect workers and if they don't want any trouble from customers they may have a no religion in the workplace rule which is fine by me.
Like a poster said before a boss said he didn't want the employee to wear a cross because it may offend satanist customers, funny yes but true. If I owned a business I wouldn't want to offend any of my customers either.
Iam sure lots of employers don't care if what people wear but in my experience the bigger the business the bigger client base = more people to offend.
Heck I don't get offended by people wearing crosses etc but I do get offended when they start going on about it in the place I work.
Like in government Religion has no place in it and the same should be said about the workplace (unless your workplace is a church lol)

edit on 12-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Look a lot of it really depends on your work place (we are not talking about private life here) your employer has every right to have dress codes (including footie tops etc) and rules to protect workers and if they don't want any trouble from customers they may have a no religion in the workplace rule which is fine by me. Like a poster said before a boss said he didn't want the employee to wear a cross because it may offend satanist customers, funny yes but true. If I owned a business I wouldn't want to offend any of my customers either. Iam sure lots of employers don't care if what people wear but in my experience the bigger the business the bigger client base = more people to offend. Heck I don't get offended by people wearing crosses etc but I do get offended when they start going on about it in the place I work.
reply to post by boymonkey74

As we live in an increasingly open minded society, people are free to express themselves.
I think people are smart enough to go beyond the appearance issue.
If I walk into a shop to buy some football boots, what am I more concerned about? The cross/turban/ funny hairstyle he/she has, or whether they have the competency to charmingly and convincingly sell me an item I came into the shop to buy?
If I'm prepared to base my motivation to buy on the appearance/aparrel of the seller, something is wrong with me, not them. Surely there is more than one store advisor/assistant? If so, I go to them and buy my product. I certainly don't walk out of the shop altogether!
If I'm prepared to walk away based on appearance, then I'm every bit as prejudiced and bigoted as I imagine/preceive the person I refused to purchase from is.
Bottom line? You said it yourself: Money.
So, money is the acceptable religion by which all things live move, have their being and hold together.
If I come to work with a pound/dollar sign firmly revealed on my blazer/suit lapel, isn't that EXACTLY the same thing?
It's all to do with the religion you find acceptable (not you specifically boymonkey).
And the chances are, it's Mammon.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't know whats happening here.

It seems that people are getting too wrapped up in being so PC that they are forgetting the WASPs. I mean...the goverments and social environment in general are getting so worried about offending people because we are white or Christian, we are made to apologize for being so. Its rediculous. If the crosses are dangerous, so be it. But perhaps the flowing robes of a Hindi traditional dress, or the Hijab of Muslim nature should be banned as well for having the possibility of being caught in machinery.

Or is it wrong to be Christian... I think we should still have our own rights to worship freely and express our belief openly, just as anyone else.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just do as your employer asks, because I'm fairly certain there's 200(I have no source, this is a guesstimate) atheists or christians queuing up to take your job if you're going to be such a bitch about it.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArmI think we should still have our own rights to worship freely and express our belief openly, just as anyone else.

You should, just not while operating moving machinery at 6:30 in the morning on the early shift when I have a hangover. I need an Ibuprofen, not a lecture on my sins.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

Yes I agree with you completely BUT that would be the case if everyone thought like you and me but they don't and unfortunately the biggest bigot's I have met are very religious for example a Christian workmate of mine when calling a cab always ask's for a none Muslim taxi driver, she has even turned around to a Muslim workpal and said to his face "Your religion is evil and you will goto hell if you don't accept Jesus" I was gobsmacked and I wanted to put in a complaint but my Muslim workpal just said "forget it her loss if she will not even try to understand my faith" he accepts other faiths but she does not.
That is why I helped implement a non religious workplace (we have a prayer room for all faiths but no religious talk on shift etc nor any religious symbols on show, nor religoius garb because of the nature of my work, male and female) , it does cause friction between different faiths.

PS Oh boy she hates me now, she even said to another workpal (and she told me) that I will goto hell with all the other "Muslims" oh how I laughed

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thismightbesatire

Who's fault is it that you are hungover?

I don't know if you noticed, but having a job is a good thing, and your life should be a reflection of pride.

And for the love of God, be a responsible adult.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

Don't use your Lords name in vain blasphemer Exodus 20:7
So you have never worked with a hang over?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Its not blasphemy if you mean what it explicitly says.

And yes, I have worked with a hangover....then I grew up after I turned about 17.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

No not at all
I was simply using it as an example I knew many could get a handle on
Possibly a poor choice ............
However the hajib is a associated symbol of a religion

How's about the full face veil ? Is that still allowed ?

How's about if I carry a set of beads ?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9

LONDON – In a highly significant move, ministers will fight a case at the European Court of Human Rights in which two British women will seek to establish their right to display the cross.

It is the first time that the Government has been forced to state whether it backs the right of Christians to wear the symbol at work.

Link

I think people should have the right to wear whatever they want,
and it's damn shame if the governments have their say in it.

What you all think ?

Are you talking about Britain or Texas.....
Either way, I completely agree with...
Star for you

-Christosterone

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I don't know if you noticed, but having a job is a good thing, and your life should be a reflection of pride.
reply to post by IronArm

Umm...brother? (assuming you are a disciple and believer in Jesus,)
Your life should not be a reflection of pride.
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18)

He has shown you, O man, what [is] good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

You/we/ I are no better than any other human being who has walked this earth.
We choose to take a leap of faith into the arms of a loving Father and GOD who cares for humanity and found a way to deal with a human condition that everyone has been on the receiving end of.
I have nothing to be proud of in my life.
But I will boast in the grace and love of GOD that has brought me thus far, because it doesn't big ME up.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

Also you are judging him and calling him irresponsible.
Oh I forgot you are soooo much better then anyone else because you have faith pffttt.
Your mood even says Fanatical Bigot Pfftttt. Be gone!!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Yes I agree with you completely BUT that would be the case if everyone thought like you and me but they don't and unfortunately the biggest bigot's I have met are very religious for example a Christian workmate of mine when calling a cab always ask's for a none Muslim taxi driver, she has even turned around to a Muslim workpal and said to his face "Your religion is evil and you will goto hell if you don't accept Jesus" I was gobsmacked and I wanted to put in a complaint but my Muslim workpal just said "forget it her loss if she will not even try to understand my faith" he accepts other faiths but she does not.

Yes.
I'm so sorry that so many Christians really don't seem to grasp the concept of 'grace'.
Even if this is equally unpalatable as a response, you could argue that the christian friend you talk about, should be desperate to get into that cab with the muslim driver, and share their faith so that the muslim driver would accept Jesus and not go to hell!?!
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?!?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucius Driftwood

reply to post by IronArm

Umm...brother? (assuming you are a disciple and believer in Jesus,)
Your life should not be a reflection of pride.
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18)

He has shown you, O man, what [is] good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

You/we/ I are no better than any other human being who has walked this earth.
We choose to take a leap of faith into the arms of a loving Father and GOD who cares for humanity and found a way to deal with a human condition that everyone has been on the receiving end of.
I have nothing to be proud of in my life.
But I will boast in the grace and love of GOD that has brought me thus far, because it doesn't big ME up.

Colossians 3:23
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

Being proud of who you are and what you do is not a sin, boasting of one's superiority is. So if it seems that I have done that, I apologize to you and our Father.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join