It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians have no right to wear crosses, British government says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

LONDON – In a highly significant move, ministers will fight a case at the European Court of Human Rights in which two British women will seek to establish their right to display the cross.

It is the first time that the Government has been forced to state whether it backs the right of Christians to wear the symbol at work.

Link

I think people should have the right to wear whatever they want,
and it's damn shame if the governments have their say in it.

What you all think ?

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

hi op
its probably the same woman that got told to take it off (was on the news not long ago)

i make no apology for what im about to say

IMMIGRANTS and RELIGION is dominating my once great britain
the gov is basically bending over and telling immigrants
help yourself
i love my country..i hate the gov

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm so excited
for our brave new world!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If i want to shave my hair into a mohawk and die it green thats my choice and everyone will see that.

Why do people care what they have on their t shirt or on their neck or whatever.

Just another bunch of bull crying and whining and wasting our tax money on more trivial crap.

Some person waring something on their neck means jack to me, id far more concerned about those actively trying to persuade people do change, or to do harm to those who dont etc.

Even if i saw a black and white t shirt that says "if you read this you are a stupid moron, though literate" i STILL dont care and heck i may even laugh.

a symbol? seriously grow up everyone, its as much your fault for knowing what it means as much as the person waring it.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Does this apply to priests and nuns?
Hmm,very silly law.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Depends on were you work. I worked in the printing industry for 10 years. Long hair and jewelry can get caught in machines and pull you into them(hands). Were safety is concerned, that will over ride wearing jewelry .
As for wearing a cross in a business setting, I would leave it to each employer for choice, not any government.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There is so little detail here to actually make an informed comment.

The women, as much as I can gather from the brief article, are arguing that they should be allowed to wear crosses at work. Depending on the type of work they are engaged in should dictate policy on jewelry.

Take for instance my line of work. I work with high-voltage in tight spots. For safety reason, I am banned from wearing a ring or hanging jewelry from my neck. Such ban is common sense.

Interesting though and will have to revisit when I find more information rather than an anemic sound-bite article.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TimesUp

s&f op.. thank you for informing us. Ill be damned if anyone, i don't care who it is.. cops or government, know one is going to tell me to take my cross off. Every single person has the right to there own beliefs and there right to express it as they feel, its a cross necklace its not like she was running around her work place with a cross banner screaming at everyone.

So to that a BIG MIDDLE FINGER to the British government and any other "authority" figure who thinks they have the power to enforce this bs.

BTW.. "ownbestenemy" im Licensed Tech and i to cannot wear metal items while working on vehicles for fear of electrocution and static discharge .. But as long as im AT work and not working on a vehicle (on break) knowone is telling me to take my cross off if i choose to wear it..
edit on 11-3-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Tsk, Tsk.

Christians always thinking they are above everyone else. This isn't necessarily even about religion.

If a workplace doesn't allow people to do their job and they choose to have a dyed green mohawk, as an excuse it is not the correct "outfit" or "appearance". Why should christians be an exception?

When i worked in the supermarket as a teen i wore a hat to cover my hair (being bright green). If a christian wants to wear a cross at work, they can wear it under their clothes. Why should anyone have to see it? Because they are "god's people" and they are an exception, as always.

If they want to ban one item of clothing or appearance, then they can ban them all.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Are you still permitted to wear the hijab in England ?
If so you should the cross too

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
well, then all displays of religion would similarly have to be banned as well I'd imagine

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Ok, let's get the facts right.

The UK govt is NOT saying Xtians have NO RIGHT to wear a cross. What they ARE saying is :

It is the first time that the Government has been forced to state whether it backs the right of Christians to wear the symbol at work.

The Government’s refusal to say that Christians have a right to display the symbol of their faith at work

So, contrary to what this thread is implying, the UK is NOT saying Xtians have no right to wear the cross at any time in any place.

What they ARE saying is that "they", the govt, refuse to pick a side and catagorically state Xtians have the right to wear a cross at work. That was left out of the OP's title, funny enough.

Wearing something at home or in the streets or other public getherings is one thing. Wearing something at a place of work, such as a private corporation or institution with its own rules and regulations on dress code is completely different.

OP - change your title to include "at work" - it's misleading and drawing people into incorrect perceptions of what the UK govt.

edit on 11-3-2012 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart

hi op
its probably the same woman that got told to take it off (was on the news not long ago)

help yourself

Your not to smart are you . That is not a question it is an observation. You do understand that the your kings and queens have been sworn in on the coronation stone and they swear to uphold the Christian faith.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

anyone from any religion should be able to wear whatever they want... common its jewelry. Unless its going to injure you in your work place there shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to wear it. Up here 4 out of 5 people wear a piece of jewelry from there religion (hindu, christian, Zoroastrian.. etc) .. The only reason why an employer should tell you to take off your religious jewelry is if it will hurt a co-worker, NOT because "they don't like looking at it", if that's the case then don't look at it!!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by descendedstar
The only reason why an employer should tell you to take off your religious jewelry is if it will hurt a co-worker, NOT because "they don't like looking at it", if that's the case then don't look at it!!

So you know that is the reason why employers request employees to remove articles or objects of relgious nature? Because "they" don't like looking at it? Or it might "hurt" someone??

No. It's because a vast majority of businesses do not wish to appear to be promoting any one religious belief system. Why should and employer/company get into some legal dispute about some client or customer getting upset that the person behind the till is sporting a cross? Or wearing a hajib? Or [insert artefact type of any old draconian religion here] ?

Easier to tell empployees to simply "abide" by their rules of business.

Hey - if they don't like it, find another job. But where you work is not the same as where you want to practice your religion. not everyone likes seeing people wearing silly crosses around their necks.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

Originally posted by davesmart

hi op

help yourself

Your not to smart are you . That is not a question it is an observation. You do understand that the your kings and queens have been sworn in on the coronation stone and they swear to uphold the Christian faith.

so bloody what, catholacism was there
times have changed and so should we
wear what the hell you like
dont start me off because your comment was so damn silly

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Interesting to read / carry out a little research, into perhaps Gov't leaders background. May part explain our new Anti - Christian Government attitude within the UK.

en.wikipedia.org...

Second paragraph, ref great grandfather

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by descendedstar
The only reason why an employer should tell you to take off your religious jewelry is if it will hurt a co-worker, NOT because "they don't like looking at it", if that's the case then don't look at it!!

So you know that is the reason why employers request employees to remove articles or objects of relgious nature? Because "they" don't like looking at it? Or it might "hurt" someone??

No. It's because a vast majority of businesses do not wish to appear to be promoting any one religious belief system. Why should and employer/company get into some legal dispute about some client or customer getting upset that the person behind the till is sporting a cross? Or wearing a hajib? Or [insert artefact type of any old draconian religion here] ?

Hey - if they don't like it, find another job. But where you work is not the same as where you want to practice your religion. not everyone likes seeing people wearing silly crosses around their necks.

A better question is why would any religious jewelry become a source for a legal dispute based upon a disgruntled customer? Do people really have nothing better to do with there lives?

BTW.. You said

But where you work is not the same as where you want to practice your religion. not everyone likes seeing people wearing silly crosses around their necks.

Were in the op's link did you manage to find that this woman was practicing her religion in her work place? and please do not make references to a "silly cross" when i haven't discriminated against your religion. Im clearly stating in my above posts that its anyone's right to wear whatever jewelry they like as long as its not physially hurting anyone else.

And you contradicted yourself when you belittled my statement in the following.

when you said

OH AND

Im assuming you are a business owner.. so here is to all the "business owners" with that mentality

You Sir are a TROLL

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If it's a serious concern to health and safety, it should be removed in the workplace. I'm fairly certain if you're working alone operating a drill press or some form of machinery having your cross displayed is of little importance to the job at hand.

I don't care what faith you have and even less so while I'm trying to work.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

thanks for saying that to the ignoramous
i would have got banned wording it my way
cheers
dave

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join