It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adventure-seeking bees are a lot like humans: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Adventure-seeking bees are a lot like humans: study

Researchers are theorizing that chemicals in bee brains are similar to
chemicals in human brains !!

This article suggests that this is affecting bee habits.

Some bees love a good adventure while others prefer to hang out at the hive, and a new analysis of bee brains suggests some of the same chemicals that affect human personality could explain why.

Honey bees are known to have a structured society in which different bees serve different tasks — some work as nurses while others forage for food, for example.

But within these ranks, it appears that bees have different personalities, said the study in the journal Science that examined the difference between nest scouts that forage for new food sources and those that do not.

“There is a gold standard for personality research and that is if you show the same tendency in different contexts, then that can be called a personality trait,” said lead author Gene Robinson, professor of entomology and neuroscience at the University of Illinois.

Researchers differentiated between bees by setting up new feeding posts with unique colors and smells, one by one over several days, and tracking which bees liked to test new chomping grounds and which ones stuck with the familiar............

Bees are like Humans ?

This article is interesting !

Now I know why I get that buzzing in my head sometimes !!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
That's interesting; I can't help but wonder how they'll be in, say, 500,000 years.

Check out this defence mechanism:

en.wikipedia.org...

When I first read that, I was pretty amazed. That they could develop such a system to destroy one of their worst predators. It's pretty ingenious!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
That's interesting; I can't help but wonder how they'll be in, say, 500,000 years.

Check out this defence mechanism:

en.wikipedia.org...

When I first read that, I was pretty amazed. That they could develop such a system to destroy one of their worst predators. It's pretty ingenious!

That's even more interesting than the OP article

Thanks for contributing !

Seems like bees are more organized than people sometimes !!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

It's an amazing defence mechanism.

Here is the youtube about it.

The OP is also very interesting.
edit on 11-3-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

top topics

join