It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's "Winter Forward" now, not "Spring Forward"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillerQueen
I hate Day Light Savings time - beginning or ending, whichever. It's antiquated and stupid. Hell, at least if we have to spring forward, let's do it on a Monday and get that beast over with sooner.

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The other thing that pops into my head when considering this subject is the quote from Matthew 24:22 concerning the "end times" -

Matthew 24:22
"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

Seriously?

edit on 11-3-2012 by KillerQueen because: (no reason given)

No, not seriously. Some other completely different and unrelated quote popped into my head but I chose instead to post Matthew 24:22 in it's place.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Here's something that caught my attention:

Spring Equilux 4 days early?
by GovtFlu
started on 3/16/2012 @ 08:15 PM
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by GovtFlu
Just asking here..

Was perusing the weather for my local zip (rain, lots):
www.wunderground.com...:95003.1.99999

..noticed Sunrise 7:16am... Sunset 7:16pm.. days of equal sunrise/set are called "equiluxes" (from WikiP.)

Making today, Mar 16th 2012, the "Spring Equilux"..?.. yes?

"...there are two distinct identifiable days per year when the length of day and night are closest to being equal; those days are referred to as the "equiluxes""

Based on what the net tells me, this years Spring Equilux was supposed to be in 4 days, 3-20-12, to wit:

"The Spring Equinox, also known as the Vernal Equinox, conventionally marks the official first day of spring in the United States. This year the Spring Equinox occurs on Thursday, March 20 at 1:48 a.m."

whassupinthemilkyway.blogspot.com...

Sunrise & Sunset on 3-20-12: 7:10am / 7:19pm (here

Does leap year factor into this?.. or is it just one of those proto-"normal" variances mom Earth tosses at us now & then?.. is today even the Equilux?..

..and if it is 4 days early..I'll admit ignorance... I have no idea how or why.. that's why I'm asking you fine lot.

Thanks..

edit on 3/16/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: links

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In addition to this

Item:

3/11 is our next new Moon On Monday. It occurs 10 days before Obama is scheduled to enter Jerusalem: Obama to Enter Jerusalem March 20th, 5 Days before Passover - Just like Jesus

Sidebar:

3/11... 11/11/11?
Have You Been Called By The 11|11, And What Are You Going To Do About It?

the time change is coming up for our new Moon On Monday as well. Very interesting...

edit on 3/8/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: link to my quoted post.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

edit on 8-3-2013 by tinhattribunal because: posted in wrong thread

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Just a friendly reminder that clocks "Spring" forward this cold Winter's Sunday morning. Used to be at the end of April, a long time ago...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Just a reminder that originally (in 1966) the time change one hour forward would have happened over the last weekend, two days ago on April 28th. It now happens at the beginning of March. Why that's 49 days earlier. Almost two months earlier.

Interesting, yes?

edit on 4/30/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The time change used to be a month from now.
In Spring.
It's still Winter until the 20th.

They moved up the date to March in 2005.
7 years ago.
It used to begin on the first Sunday in April.
So... doesn't anyone suspect it was changed for some hidden, nefarious reason?
I do.
But I can't put my finger on it.
But that Sun rising 2 days early in Greenland thing comes to mind.

Plus degrees in December (Polar night ends TWO DAYS early? )

And the Boat/Smile Moon thing too.

Welcome to the Equator!! Everywhere on Earth !! USA-UK-Canada
edit on 3/11/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

The time change is an arbitrary decision made for energy conservation reasons. It does not mean the actual position of the sun or moon shifted by several weeks. Astronomers predict and measure the positions of the sun and moon according to Greenwich Mean Time, which does not fall under daylight savings time.

The whole premature sunrise in Greenland a couple of years ago indicates an abnormally high amount of atmospheric refraction. This is nothing new; historically this same phenomenon has been seen as early as 400 years ago to make the sun rise prematurely at polar locations by as much as two weeks, and do so consistently on multiple days prior to when sunrise should have occurred.

In the next place, Gerrit de Veer states explicitly that he and two of his companions "saw the edge of the sun" on the 24th of January, and that on the 27th of that month they "all went forth and saw the sunne in his full round-nesse a little above the horizon"; and again, that on 31st they "went out and saw the sunne shine cleare"; and lastly, on the 8th of February, they "saw the sun rise south-east, and went down south south-west." On the intervening days, the weather being cloudy or otherwise unfavorable, they had no opportunity of observing the sun.

page cliii of "The three voyages of William Barentz to the Arctic regions"

At de Veer's location, 75 degrees 45 minutes north latitude, the sun's upper edge wasn't even supposed to be seen until February 9th.

As for the "horizontal" or "cheshire" moon, that is not an exclusively equatorial phenomenon. It is perfectly normal to see it occur even at latitudes beyond the tropics. It's an effect of the position-angle of the moon's bright limb combined with field rotation. You can use tables of the moon published in books decades ago to predict the moon's position and thereby predict its appearance for any given location.

And on that note, I'm currently working on expanding the above spreadsheet to calculate the sun's apparent position as well using data derived from Simon Newcomb's tables of the sun, which were published in the late 19th century. I've already got a first order approximation of Newcomb's tables correctly calculating the sun's geocentric coordinates to within about 2 arcseconds or so (far beyond the limit of human vision) and I've verified that ephemeris generated directly from his tables agree with modern ephemeris to within about half an arcsecond (the effective limit of most telescopes' resolution due to atmospheric seeing).

The bottom line is that I will be making another video soon with this updated version validating the position of the sun as well, as soon as the weather permits me to do so. I guarantee that it will show the same thing my lunar calculations showed; that things are where they're supposed to be. If it didn't, then you would have something to worry about, but the change in the DST dates has nothing to do with this.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
During Solar max, the fields of the earth expand, this way it seems like we see longer sunrises when in fact the sun hasn't risen yet and we see the sun way after it sets. It also makes the sunrise and sunset appear farther north sometimes, the arc looks longer. It is just an illusion as the sun appears to be where it is not. I suppose we could even see two suns or a sun within a sun like the flame of a lighter. Nothing to worry about. The more crystals in our upper atmosphere the more it will be noticeable. This has more to do with a weakening of the magnetic field than climate change.
edit on 2-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join