It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's "Winter Forward" now, not "Spring Forward"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The time change used to be a month from now.
In Spring.
It's still Winter until the 20th.

They moved up the date to March in 2005.
7 years ago.
It used to begin on the first Sunday in April.
So... doesn't anyone suspect it was changed for some hidden, nefarious reason?
I do.
But I can't put my finger on it.
But that Sun rising 2 days early in Greenland thing comes to mind.

Plus degrees in December (Polar night ends TWO DAYS early? )
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the Boat/Smile Moon thing too.

Welcome to the Equator!! Everywhere on Earth !! USA-UK-Canada
edit on 3/11/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It used to be even later than the first Sunday in April. Originally, in 1966, Daylight Savings Time was scheduled for the last Sunday in April

From 1945 to 1966, there was no federal law regarding daylight saving time, so states and localities were free to choose whether to observe it, and could choose when it began and ended. By 1962, the transportation industry found the lack of nationwide consistency in time observance confusing enough to push for federal regulation. This drive resulted in the Uniform Time Act of 1966 (P.L. 89-387). The act mandated standard time within the established time zones and provided for advanced time: clocks would be advanced one hour beginning at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday in April and turned back one hour at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday in October. States were allowed to exempt themselves from DST as long as the entire state did so. If a state chose to observe DST, the time changes were required to begin and end on the established dates. In 1968, Arizona became the first state to exempt itself from DST. In 1972, the act was amended (P.L. 92-267), allowing those states split between time zones to exempt either the entire state or that part of the state lying within a different time zone. The newly created Department of Transportation (DOT) was given the power to enforce the law. Currently, the following states and territories do not observe DST: Arizona, Hawaii, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.[2]
en.wikipedia.org...

From 1987 to 2006, daylight saving time in the United States began on the first Sunday of April...By the Energy Policy Act of 2005, daylight saving time (DST) was extended in the United States beginning in 2007. DST currently starts on the second Sunday of March, which is three or four weeks earlier than in the past
en.wikipedia.org...

This might have something to do with it. But what's the real reason for the changes. Is something else changing that they hope we won't notice by moving it up, and up again?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The other thing that pops into my head when considering this subject is the quote from Matthew 24:22 concerning the "end times" -

Matthew 24:22
"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."
KJV
kingjbible.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Been posted.Hate to be that guy.But I know you know it was because you posted on the same thread I did ! Really?! Come on. I swear sometimes I think I'm reading Ebaums World.

edit on 11-3-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

If I recall correctly the “sun raising early in Greenland” thing was not about the sun at all, but rather about the fact that the ice shelves had receded so drastically. The ice sheets had in previous years been high enough to block the sun, which is low on the horizon at that time of the year, during all proceeding years.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Been posted.Hate to be that guy.But I know you know it was because you posted on the same thread I did ! Really?! Come on. I swear sometimes I think I'm reading Ebaums World.

edit on 11-3-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

Yes, I posted this on that thread. And then decided to make a thread devoted to the idea I posted. Wanna' fight about it?

Here's the thread and the links to my two posts in that thread if anyone is interested:

Hay USA, it's time to Spring forwards, or is fall frontways...time change
by Violater1
started on 3/11/2012 @ 01:54 AM

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

If I recall correctly the “sun raising early in Greenland” thing was not about the sun at all, but rather about the fact that the ice shelves had receded so drastically. The ice sheets had in previous years been high enough to block the sun, which is low on the horizon at that time of the year, during all proceeding years.

That was one hypothesis.
Here is another:

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Human_Alien

The scientific explanation is that the warming Arctic air is causing temperature inversions, which in turn cause the light of the sunset to refract so that the sun appears to be setting a few kilometres off-kilter. “There is so much garbage in the air, it’s refraction that’s causing our elders to think our world has tilted,” Kunuk says.

that sounds resonable...

kx
Plus degrees in December (Polar night ends TWO DAYS early? )

There are a number of threads devoted to that subject. While a number of plausible explanations were given, I don't think any definitive conclusions were made.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
S & F from me.

You are right. It is generally a sublte transission because of how we r connected to the solar system. Each year is only really 364.25 days long. We have a leap year every four years to allow for that but you need to extend it outwards and apply the data.

the issue is that one day every four years might be tolerated with our Calendar but is in opposition to the bigger picture. If you consider one day every four years over a marginal period of 2000 years, that equates to the seasonal change. We then say, oh it is the El Ninio affect or Global Warming... in Aust we are at the beginning of Winter (technically) and yet we are based on our Calendar at the beginning of Autumn.

a small discrepancy will not be noticeble immediately but over time... obvious.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Oh, and before anyone pops off and decides to burn my idea to the ground, let me say this:

All I'm doing is exploring ideas and making inquiries. I'm not concluding anything. Curiosity is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This has been on my mind for a while as you can see from the this post from May 2011 that I inserted into this thread a few posts back.

What Is Wrong With The Time The Sunsets??

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

At the outset in 1966 Daylight Savings Time was scheduled for the last Sunday in April. But this has changed...

5/15/2011 @ 11:13 PM

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
S & F from me.

You are right. It is generally a sublte transission because of how we r connected to the solar system. Each year is only really 364.25 days long. We have a leap year every four years to allow for that but you need to extend it outwards and apply the data.

the issue is that one day every four years might be tolerated with our Calendar but is in opposition to the bigger picture. If you consider one day every four years over a marginal period of 2000 years, that equates to the seasonal change. We then say, oh it is the El Ninio affect or Global Warming... in Aust we are at the beginning of Winter (technically) and yet we are based on our Calendar at the beginning of Autumn.

a small discrepancy will not be noticeble immediately but over time... obvious.

If we were going by the original 1966 schedule the time change wouldn't be for Another Seven Weeks!

Seven weeks difference!

If something is off kilter, and if the thing that is off kilter needed to be kept from the general public, what would that thing be that could be made less noticeable by moving the time change up by seven weeks over the course of 46 years?

edit on 3/11/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: grammar

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

It ain't no daylight savin'.
It's daylight stealin'.
They done stolt a hour from ya!!
They got the Earth spinnin' extra fast from a Jappan nuclur reaction.
Hot steam done boilt the oshins and the popcorn shrimp is all extra crispy!!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XXX777

Thank you for your reply. At the very least it keeps the thread near the top where Lots Of People Will See It!

As for the content of your reply, that sure is a novel way of attempting to burn an idea to the ground.
Good job!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

the discrepancies are a comedy of errors:

In Sweden the switch from the old to the new calender was performed under weird circumstances. First, the year 1700 was declared a common year instead of a leap year, thus putting the calendar in Sweden one day ahead of the Julian calendar and leaving a difference between the Gregorian and the Swedish calendar of ten days. The re-adoption of the Julian calendar was done by adding a 30th day to February in 1712. The Swedish waited another 41 years before introducing the Gregorian calender in 1753.

www.ortelius.de...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

The calendar debacle has interest for me as well. Thank you for your timely reply.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Perhaps, really soon, Xcalibur254, Phage (et al), and Chadwickus will "stumble upon" this thread and present something of value to explain the need for the time change to be moved up by by Seven Weeks*.

* As you recall, in 1966 the time change was scheduled for the last Sunday in April, seven weeks from now for this calendar year.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Here's what I got from Wiki:

en.wikipedia.org...
The 2007 U.S. change was part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005; previously, from 1987 through 2006, the start and end dates were the first Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October, and Congress retains the right to go back to the previous dates now that an energy-consumption study has been done.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I read the same thing and posted a portion of the Wiki article in my second post. It's the second extag quote that references the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The day the time changed in 1966 was also "Z-Day" in the original "Night of the Living Dead". The first occurrence of daylight savings time in the U.S. as well. April 23/24 1966.

And the radio reports in the film state that the event began a few days previous to that particular Sunday night).

Just a tidbit of trivia..

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I hate Day Light Savings time - beginning or ending, whichever. It's antiquated and stupid. Hell, at least if we have to spring forward, let's do it on a Monday and get that beast over with sooner.

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The other thing that pops into my head when considering this subject is the quote from Matthew 24:22 concerning the "end times" -

Matthew 24:22
"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

Seriously?

edit on 11-3-2012 by KillerQueen because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join