It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our only solar storm warning satellite on its last legs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
ACE has been out there for 15 years.
Sounds like the scientists don't put a lot of faith in this oldster.

By Irene Klotz
Discovery news

Every time a giant solar storm — like the one that blasted by Earth earlier this week — rushes past NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer satellite, scientists at NOAA's space weather forecasting branch cringe.

The satellite, nicknamed ACE, provides the only advance notice of incoming high-energy particles from the sun which can wreak havoc on radio, GPS and satellite communications that are now embedded in modern life.

http: //www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46683153/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/our-only-solar-storm-warning-satellite-its-last-legs/#.T1w_jnmneSo

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Or maybe its the only one they wish for us to know about, if our only way of finding out about future events is destroyed but certain people have there own satellite to let them know that such events may be about to unfold it could allow them to do w/e it is they chose to do, attack someone, overthrow a government, w/e idk its a conspiracy website let your mind run free......

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Another one like ACE but more advanced known as Triana was suppose to go up with "Columbia"
No one seems to know why it's mission was scrapped.
The new date is 2014

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Maybe if NASA would spend less time and money doing coc aine, they could have afforded a backup to ACE.

Seems like it's kinda important to not have to cringe at a piece of equipment that is one of a kind.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Maybe if NASA would spend less time and money doing coc aine, they could have afforded a backup to ACE.

Seems like it's kinda important to not have to cringe at a piece of equipment that is one of a kind.

Do a little reading there is another one.

Do you have proof of NASA spending time and money on coc aine?

I thought not !

Is every one at NASA doing this??

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

I thought not !

Oh, I'm sorry. But if YOU read it's mentioned THREE times in the OP that it's "nasas only solar storm warning satellite". So, you think only means ONLY.

And yes, all at NASA does coke....my comment just might have been an attempt at humor pal.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I thought not !

Oh, I'm sorry. But if YOU read it's mentioned THREE times in the OP that it's "nasas only solar storm warning satellite". So, you think only means ONLY.

And yes, all at NASA does coke....my comment just might have been an attempt at humor pal.

I am the OP and there is another one with plans to launch in 2014 you really must read more often
Please don't call me pal I am a woman and am offended when refered to as pal.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I thought not !

I am the OP and there is another one with plans to launch in 2014 you really must read more often
Please don't call me pal I am a woman and am offended when refered to as pal.

Sorry to call you pal, didn't know it was offensive but I understand

Now, of course I know about 2014. My point being why did we wait so long to put another one up? ACE could be disabled tomorrow, then what? Well there's always 2014!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Oh, I'm sorry. But if YOU read it's mentioned THREE times in the OP that it's "nasas only solar storm warning satellite".

Nasa is not the only space agency on the planet.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Nasa is all but closed by the current prez.

We get what we vote for.

Want Nasa to do great things?

Put some else up there.

www.americaspace.org...

To know how the President feels about MPCV and SLS, all we need to do is just look at his proposed fiscal year 2012 (FY12) NASA Budget. Authorized funding (2010 NASA Auth. Act, Sec. 102) is $1.4B and $2.65B for MPCV and SLS respectively.

The President’s proposed funding for MPCV and SLS for FY12 is $1.0102B and $1.8B, or $0.6102B and $0.85B, totaling $1.4602B, less than what Congress has authorized for those programs. In fact, the President’s cut to both programs is more than the amount authorized for the Multi Purpose Crew Vehicle alone.

And if one notes, the President’s 2012 NASA Budget contains no funding for either MPCV or SLS. So, under the White House plan, in 2013 both programs would join Constellation on the ash heap of space exploration.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Remember folks, NASA is not a Public Governmental Agency, They are a PRIVATE, agency, like the CIA, FBI, Halliburton.
They could of found planet nibriu* or a giant ball of yawn, and still we would be talking about weather on mars, or a lack of budget, NASA is far from dead, Dead agencies don't send trillion dollar missions to Mars, Astroids, the Sun, or Comets. Nasa just prolly found something too big to be bothered with, in all honesty.

I just wanted to comment, in general, cool down, some people like their grits hot, some like their grits cold, Some dont like grits at all. Just learn to understand that it happens, its out there and you wont be so butthurt when something passes by and can be more focused on the tasks at hand.

Biggest problem people have today, is feeling like they are unjust ed somehow, and therefor in need to stick up for themselves. Do you really know that if you did that anywhere else even on the streets, its how you get shot, arrested, or just made a fool. there is a time to bite one's tongue, and a time to fight for one's rights.

edit on 11-3-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: Because I live in America, and have earned the right of doing what I want within the laws of man.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
Nasa is all but closed by the current prez.

We get what we vote for.

Want Nasa to do great things?

Put some else up there.

www.americaspace.org...

To know how the President feels about MPCV and SLS, all we need to do is just look at his proposed fiscal year 2012 (FY12) NASA Budget. Authorized funding (2010 NASA Auth. Act, Sec. 102) is $1.4B and $2.65B for MPCV and SLS respectively.

The President’s proposed funding for MPCV and SLS for FY12 is $1.0102B and $1.8B, or $0.6102B and $0.85B, totaling $1.4602B, less than what Congress has authorized for those programs. In fact, the President’s cut to both programs is more than the amount authorized for the Multi Purpose Crew Vehicle alone.

And if one notes, the President’s 2012 NASA Budget contains no funding for either MPCV or SLS. So, under the White House plan, in 2013 both programs would join Constellation on the ash heap of space exploration.

Not so.

en.wikipedia.org...
As of February 2011, the Obama administration is attempting to secure funding to re-purpose the DSCOVR spacecraft as a solar observatory to replace the Aging Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) spacecraft.[6]

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
All im can say to this is running around in a circle screaming................ " Were're all ganna die!!!!!......

top topics

join