It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family's surveillance cameras rolling as tornado hits West Liberty, Ky

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
with so many tornados and huricanes in the US why do they build so many houses made of wood?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hurts my heart to watch that..

but thank you for posting it..

wow..how destructive...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
with so many tornados and huricanes in the US why do they build so many houses made of wood?

The only thing that might survive a F4/F5 twister would be a Nuclear missle silo. Everything else if it is a direct hit gets ripped apart.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Now to me that is real shock and awe inducing. Kudos for finding this video, OP. It still is difficult to fathom the power of the wind, but the video shows it very well. Kindest thoughts go out to all affected by this.

I have silently wondered over the years why people who live in tornado alley don't build their homes inground more.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wholly balls, at 6:30 the 'farm house' is just vaporized and turned to dust and sent to the camera, wicked just like out of a movie

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What the heck is that at 5:33? Is it the water from a neighbors pool hurtling through the air at 200mph?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've watched this over and over trying to figure out what exactly is going on with those houses toward the end of the vid. It looks like they literally turn to dust and blow away. At first I thought it was smoke, but I don't think so. That would have to be some pretty intense smoke to be that thick in that wind. I'm glad the previous two posters brought that up because I wanted to get opinions on that!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I live in the Midwest and in my area there are actually a lot of earth contact houses. My husband and I actually looked at an earth contact a couple of days ago and there was a storm shelter built into the back of the house under the ground and was surrounded by thick concrete on every wall and the ceiling. Great shelter imo.

We are also storm chasers/spotters and have gone through a little training. The last training we went to, we were told that they are starting to change the idea about lying in a ditch for shelter. It'll do in a pinch but you run the risk of flooding and being hit by debris. We were told to try to stay in your car and shield yourself from the glass, or driving to a building somewhere is the best option. And they are still saying trying to hide out in an overpass is highly dangerous.

As far as the video - amazing. Most videos taken inside a tornado are so blurry from rain and dirt, but most of these views were pretty clear. The power is so amazing.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
What puzzles me most about these videos is that they managed to keep running and recording throughout the whole thing. My crap ass power here in northern Virginia goes out whenever my neighbor farts. Very impressive indeed...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

Now to me that is real shock and awe inducing. Kudos for finding this video, OP. It still is difficult to fathom the power of the wind, but the video shows it very well. Kindest thoughts go out to all affected by this.

I have silently wondered over the years why people who live in tornado alley don't build their homes inground more.

Thanks but wasn't very hard for me to find.
It was on my local news channel and I knew ATS would be interested in it.

I'm with you on wondering why people don't build homes in ground, or at least have a decent storm shelter. Granted, here in Kentucky, tornadoes used to be rare, but now meteorologists are starting to call Kentucky "the new tornado ally." Go figure. I bet a very large percentage of the people who rebuild will have a shelter.

I've seen some of the damage firsthand and I find it shocking that more people didn't die. I mean, I'm glad they didn't! But, there are pieces of houses in the tops of trees. I've seen mobile homes folded up just like you would take the flaps of a cardboard box apart in order to fold it flat. There are areas where there used to be a whole subdivision that are almost flattened. There's one area where there is a visible path from the tornado. Everything in that path is destroyed, including brick homes, yet right in the middle of all the destruction is a mobile home that doesn't look like it has even been touched. In West Liberty, one building was almost completely destroyed, yet the tornado left a motorcycle standing in the parking lot, on its kick stand, like nothing ever happened. Nature is mind boggling.

I'm surprised that so many people survived these storms, but more than that, I'm surprised that the worst ones were just EF3's. There are parts of West Liberty where the black top was pulled off the ground. It's hard to comprehend what it must have been like to be right in the middle of those storms.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gumbico
What puzzles me most about these videos is that they managed to keep running and recording throughout the whole thing. My crap ass power here in northern Virginia goes out whenever my neighbor farts. Very impressive indeed...

I wondered about that as well. It looks like there are transformers blowing in the very last part of the video so the power must have stayed on until the very worst of the storm!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Holy Sh3t that is amazing............WOW

s&f thanks!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Take a look at 6:10, there are two lights that appear on the house with a third next to the house. Then it's like they go flying off to the side. Any thoughts? It doesn't seem like the lights are going with the wind?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I don't know who is saying stay in your car, but they are dead wrong. Most of the people killed during ours were people in their cars, like my grandmother. It dragged her more than 200ft backward. You could see the tire marks from up the small hill to where it picked her up. My dad parked our car and put us in a ditch, we all survived, about 20 of us. Our car ended up completely crushed and on top of a house. There is no way we could have survived, it was as flat as a pancake.
Now this is NOT BS, this is true, a woman was caught in a small field behind our mall. She grabbed onto a tree, and by some miracle survived. Her skin was sand blasted off and she lost both her legs.
The car that stays put in this video seems to be shielded from direct winds a bit.
Anyone remember that video of the news guy that gets under the highway bridge as the tornado spins a van down the road? The reporter said those men were seriously injured and that there was carnage up and down the highway. That was like an F2/3.
Please for the love of God, don't stay in your car unless you are 150% sure you can out run it. Just FYI, that is also what my father thought too before we had to stop and get in the ditch that saved our lives.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Probably have some kind of battery backup system so thieves can't just cut the power to avoid being seen.
Just a guess though.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Crazy video... I pray I never have to experience anything like that.

But I have to say... did anyone else wonder why this family has so many security cameras? I've been in banks with more blind spots

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly62659

I *think* that's transformers blowing up but I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly62659

Did you see in the first part that while all the debris is flying away from the house, this little red ball goes rolling toward it. I laughed a little. Also, you can see the dirt just dancing away on top of the flower bed. The winds in tornados are sooooo crazy.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A house with so many cameras?!

They didn't show the one where his weed crop gets totally annihilated!!!

Paronoid or growing or both?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

If the marketing director for the manufacturer who made that camera doesn't use this footage as a testimony to how bad-assed their product is, he should be fired.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join