It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Googol and Googolplex - Numberphile Mind Blowing Sizes and Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
We're talking pretty big numbers here... And an interesting idea about what it'd be like traveling in a Googolplex-sized Universe!

With Antonio (Tony) Padilla and Ria Symonds from the University of Nottingham.
Videos by Brady Haran
About the brown paper: periodicvideos.blogspot.com...

I thought for sure this would have been posted. I searched three terms trying to locate this on ATS to no-avail..

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LedaOhio

In a sense, he was saying that to experience the fractal nature of reality, we must travel a googolplex?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Its strange how you say that particles are larger then sand, when particles at most times make up the sand.
smart people somtimes say really dumb things
edit on 10-3-2012 by Calcifer0 because: misplaced a word

edit on 10-3-2012 by Calcifer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

yes sorta I guess, he was implying if the universe were that big, your arrangement of molecules that make yourself up would have undoubtedly happened again. It's that big.. Every thing that could have happened did and would repeat. Including you!

There's something else I read that really makes you wonder.. It was claimed that we will never see the edge of the Universe because our thoughts will always extend it further..

I love intense Noodle Wrappers..

:-)

edit on 10-3-2012 by LedaOhio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Calcifer0

Where was it said particles are larger than sand? It would also depend on the use of the word particle..
As in; you could call a piece of rock a particle.. Or, are you referring to extremely small constituents of matter?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What I don't get it? Isn't the universe infinite? Does not dark matter or non-matter count as space therefore allowing infinite grains of sand to be used?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
What about a Googolplex raised to the Googolplex power

Read the book deep time, and you get a sense of infinite time scales with large numbers. Time scales so long that if one mm represented the length of time of the existence of our universe (13.6 billion light years) , then time the long scales are measured in light years.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Interesting thing this points out then, is that if we do live in an infinite universe. Then there must me an infinite number of each and every one of us.

In fact if you really think about it then there will be an infinite number of Earth's etc etc

But then comes the weird part. If there's an infinite number of everything that exists... why don't we see copies of everything all around us ? from the very small, to the galactic scale ?

One must wonder then if you really can fit an infinite number of infinities within infinity itself

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riakennor
Interesting thing this points out then, is that if we do live in an infinite universe. Then there must me an infinite number of each and every one of us.

In fact if you really think about it then there will be an infinite number of Earth's etc etc

But then comes the weird part. If there's an infinite number of everything that exists... why don't we see copies of everything all around us ? from the very small, to the galactic scale ?

One must wonder then if you really can fit an infinite number of infinities within infinity itself

NOODLE WRAPPERS!

"Thinking is the Light of my knowing but Thinking is not of me"
-Walter Russel

"Thee IS has always Imagined it better than you"
-Richard Bach

A Video List of Noodle Wrappers Here: www.youtube.com...

Wrap your Noodle Around this!

edit on 10-3-2012 by LedaOhio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
google an googleplex are big numbers but are rendered tiny compared to a Graham .A Graham is a number thought up by a guy called graham .I shall try an find a link en.wikipedia.org...'s_number

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecossiepossie
google an googleplex are big numbers but are rendered tiny compared to a Graham .A Graham is a number thought up by a guy called graham .I shall try an find a link en.wikipedia.org...'s_number
sorry wrong link this one is better www-users.cs.york.ac.uk...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riakennor

On your last statement, that's the exact point I was making when discussing Stacking Time within Thought. That would created infinity within infinity.

Georg Cantor proved there are Infinite degrees of Infinite, thus, eYe^eYe is possible.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
What about a Googolplex raised to the Googolplex power

Read the book deep time, and you get a sense of infinite time scales with large numbers. Time scales so long that if one mm represented the length of time of the existence of our universe (13.6 billion light years) , then time the long scales are measured in light years.

Talk about patience!

Edit: What all this says, for me, is that given enough time, and possible configurations of reality, ANYTHING is concievably, possible, and if possible, then eventually, actualized. Thus, if the universe is made from and by an originating intent or a thought, and if consciousness is the ground of all being and becoming, then it's at least possible, that with the right thinking, being and creative doing, for this world to become a paradise in no time flat (within a century or two), unless, there are PTB who are working AGAINST a better world for one and all, which if my calcs are correct, would place them in a heap of shiit, and so the pressure for improved performance is really the greatest for those with the most resources and capabilities ie: from he who has more, more will be required..

edit on 12-3-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If you think a Googolplex is a large number, then try seeing a Googolplex^Googolplex, since that's how many lifetimes you still have waiting for you to play.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Think about it this way. Take any irrational number like pi, e etc.. and now in those numbers you will find your entire DNA strand exactly as it is, you will find mozart, beethoven, the entire 10 seasons of Friends ALL EXACT 100% because the numbers of pi are infinite and you will certainly find them. It is becase of a hundred monkeys typing on a hundred keyboards for a million years will type out Shakespeare eventually. I was well aware of this concept and I made a thread about it years ago under my older ATS name: [TACHYON]

This is my old thread on it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 113131p://3America/ChicagoMon, 12 Mar 2012 23:56:47 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join