It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA video sheds light on 2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The Mayans did not know about the alignment. They did not know about galaxies. They thought of the milky way as a road. The biggest problem is that due to precession the "alignment" as it is called would not have been on the solstice when the long count was started. Besides the long count was not invented by the Mayans.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

For some reason our ancestors were obsessed with the stars. They went through a lot of effort to build colossal observatories that IMHO, have to be more then simply for tracking the planting seasons. In my opinion they were watching for something that they had been warned about.

The reason for building large scale astronomical observatories was rather simple. They were limited to naked eye observations. Precision could be increased by working with larger instruments. This allowed them to make better measurements that could predict events they would encounter such as equinoxes. The Mayans were not interested in the solstice.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
So I was doing some research a couple of days ago, and there was a articall on Vostok Lake in Antarcica, and here is the articall and I quote:
The largest subglacial lake in the world, Antarctica's Lake Vostok lies beneath 4km of ice, makeing it spectacularly inaccessible. Using seismic waves and satellite imagery, researchers have mapped the lake's extent(at 16 square km, and maxing out at one thousand meters deep, it's roughly the size of Lake Ontario) and have a solid understanding of the lake's interactions with the glacial ice slowly gliding over it.
Many strange magnetic anomalies have also been recorded near Lake Vostok. This has caused scientist to release statements indicating that the Earth's core might be thinner near Lake Vostok, but many conspiracy theorists have latched onto the idea that an accumulation of metals, the kind that you would finad in an ancient buried city, has caused the magnetic disturbance. The original goal of the ice core drilling was to meassure past weather conditions. This was accomplished by Russian scientists and data was gathered stretching back 420,000 years.
This data has revealed some concerning fasts. Apparently, the Holocene geological epoch which begain approximately 12,000 years ago is going to end soon. The Vostok ice cores have given scientists important data indicating that changes to the Earths surface can occur suddenly and violently, which is in direct opposition to the current geological model of gradualism. Scientists predict that the last sudden shift occured around 13,000 years ago. All of this data supports Charles Hangood's ideas surrounding a sudden pole shift hypothesis.

So what I had gathered is that this new data supports that there are poll shifts and they happen suddenly.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by alienones

Your post is full of mistakes including the size of the Lake Vostok. It is not a trivial 16km2.

The idea of pole shifts is wrong. The evidence around the lake does not support pole shifts. Pole shifts have never happened. The claims of Hapgood came before an understanding of plate tectonics. Evidence is very clear that there have been no pole shifts in the last 200My. The best candidate was 800Ma and it took 15My to complete at the audacious rate of 1m a year.

Hapgood was wrong. Good idea. It was tested. It was wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I watched a show on TV last night which spoke of Earths orbit around the Sun
It spoke of our orbit not being circular but slightly elliptical
Also the tilt of the Earth IE 23.4 degrees also alters and can cause ice ages
Though we are midway on the cycle so that will not happen any time soon.
Perhaps those of a more scientific mind can illuminate futher

But lets not trash the Mayan culture out of hand
They the Mayans looked at the Milky Way in a unique fashion - They did not focus on the stars as much as the dark areas of the Milky Way - Placing their own interpretations of those dark shapes and giving them names such as Lama. Our Astrology does similar in giving names to star constellations such as Lion/Leo etc.

All cultures have measured the movement of the heavens and divide the night sky - some such as Celts measured by Moons in a year.

No calender is exactly accurate - we have leap years - The Egyptians had 5 god days per year.
The Celts had The Nameless Day.
The length of a day can vary for example to show nothing is exactly fixed and rigid as there are other things that come into play and effect rigid frameworks of measurement.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think we should remember that every single day is the end of the world for thousands and thousands of people.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join