It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic tobacco suit hits Canadian courtroom; up to $27 billion at stake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Historic tobacco suit hits Canadian courtroom; up to $27 billion at stake

home.mytelus.com

A class-action lawsuit from smokers who claim they were duped for years by big tobacco companies as they became addicted to cigarettes, then suffered from serious health problems, will have its day in court.

Canada's three largest tobacco companies are set to square off against a group of Quebec smokers in a landmark civil case that is considered the biggest in Canadian history, with up to $27 billion in damages and penalties at stake.

The battleground will be a Montreal courtroom and the defendants are Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd.; Rothmans, Benson & Hedges; and JTI-Macdonald.

The c
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is a landmark case in canada, It has potential for a lot of public debate and possibly some further depletion of the Toabcco Industry war chest......
The fact that this product is even more addictive than heroin is entirely relevant to these suits.....
The Cancer danger covered up by obfuscating evidence for decades.....
Surely the tobacco lobby must take some responsibility for miss informing the people about the dangers to health
I myself have been smoking since age 8
I am 66 now, and have tried to quit many many times in that period.
No luck.....still smoke ten or more a day......this is sometimes doubled in stressful situations or long boring tasks like driving.
many many truckers and professional drivers have died young because of this one habit which occupies them while spending long hours behind the wheel......
The recent addition of chemicals to extinguish undregged upon cigarettes may cause even more reactions down the line....
I am sure organically grown, and pure tobacco, with no additives would not be such a hazard.
It is these chemicals added by the companies to give certain results....which add the danger of cancer to the smoke.

home.mytelus.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Not going to fly. My grandparents may have been able to lay this at the feet of the tobacco companies but we the younger(I'm 50) generations know damn well what we have been doing to our bodies. Our choice, our addiction, our health concerns.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yes people, McDonald gets you fat.

And cigarettes give you cancer.

Kinda tired of people trying to profit off their own stupidity.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
By now I'm thinking the Tobacco industry is wondering when enough is enough? They finally got stomped in the United States...and they really did have it coming. Although not like that, and not for the pure profit motive of the Government and Lawyers the way it was. Everyone got rich and nothing changed but the smokers paying several times more for a habit they're slaved to.

Now...Another country gets their shot at it. Heck, Smokers were being hurt badly in Canada when it was still $1-2 a pack down here. What will it be after this goes in? Will the addicted smokers up there be able to bear the cost at all?

Lawyers benefit. Politicians Benefit. By the time the costs PLUS profit are factored in, the Tobacco companies benefit too. The only ones who get shafted, yet again, are the lowly smokers. I'm an EX-Smoker by a couple years now, but it doesn't make watching smokers crushed to balance budgets and pad other people's pockets any better to watch.

BY the way...when Cigarettes are finally outlawed entirely...and eventually, they will be....does ANYONE think the Governments that rely upon this money from cigarette taxes and lawsuits will just learn to live on less and tighten their belts to make up for the lack of Tobacco revenue? Or.....do ya think Non-Smokers will get the same financial pounding they've gleefully cheered on for the Smokers, all this time?

Careful what you wish for....someone ELSE might get it AGAINST you.
edit on 10-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Im all for Vice taxes, Taxes you can simply chose not to pay.

Lets do Corn syrup (soda) and caffeine tax (coffee).

If you want it enough you will pay the tax, if you don't well you saved yourself some money and are a bit healthier.

And as for "Smokers" rights to do what they want and put in their body what they want, As an Asthmatic who was raised running from smokers in public (smoking in restaurants etc) I can't count the times growing up a smoker induced an Asthma attack in me, so frankly F--- Smokers rights, charge them $20 a pack.
edit on 10-3-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

This is whats wrong with:

a) the anti-tobacco lobby
b) people

Reminds me of the woman a few years back who sued McDonalds because her coffee cup didnt remind her that her coffee was hot. Makes me wanna vomit my gizzards.

The idiot anti-tobbacco Lobby starts big class-action lawsuits for any idiot who wants in so that they can prove a point about "the dangers of smoking"

News flash: nobody's forcing you to smoke. You are free to make you own decisions about what you put in your body based on the widely disseminated information that is fully available to you.

Only a real loser would turn around after years of smoking and blame someone else foe the decisions they have made. Stupid, stupid, stupid.... in every sense of the word. I hope the judge throws them out on their ass.

Much like the poster above me, I'm also asthmatic, and was raised by parents who would make a snarky comment every time we walked by a smoker. However my ultra-liberal tendencies have allowed me to look past that sort of narrow-mindedness. If people want to smoke... more power to them! What good is life if you cant enjoy it the way you would like?

How bout if we start charging higher taxes on beer, fast food, and any sort of pollution generated by corporate factories. If were going to start charging smokers twice as much, its only fair.... We are all supporting pollution and ill health in one way or another, whether or not you would like to admit it.
edit on 10-3-2012 by ClydeFrog42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
so frankly F--- Smokers rights, charge them $20 a pack.

Thank you for injecting that politically and TOTALLY unrelated piece of BS commentary. Got something to add to the topic?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Im all for Vice taxes, Taxes you can simply chose not to pay.

Lets do Corn syrup (soda) and caffeine tax (coffee).

If you want it enough you will pay the tax, if you don't well you saved yourself some money and are a bit healthier.

And as for "Smokers" rights to do what they want and put in their body what they want, As an Asthmatic who was raised running from smokers in public (smoking in restaurants etc) I can't count the times growing up a smoker induced an Asthma attack in me, so frankly F--- Smokers rights, charge them $20 a pack.
edit on 10-3-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

I think we may be on two different trains of thought. Vice taxes to discourage a product is ..well...frankly, unconstitutional and wrong by our system.
HOWEVER, I don't see major problems in the effect since no one much cares what we think anyway.

When it goes SO FAR BEYOND simple taxing to discourage and works slowly but inexorably toward taxing them out of the ability for addicted users to pay at all, it's become pure punitive action and taxes are NEVER supposed to be about that.

Allowing Politicians to tax for punitive measure is playing with fire in a rattlesnake den. If the obvious doesn't get you, the snake behind your back will....but playing the game is a no-win for normal people like us either way. We're the only ones who lose in the end. Tpday, the smokers....When they're gone, it'll be something WE all do that gets taxed to make up for it. Again.. Careful about that wishing...We get what we wish for all too often.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Lets see, I know of about 2 family members who get cancer from one smoker, SO one jack ass who couldn't quit made the other two family members suffer.

So now lets say he wants to get in on this law suit to get paid off his dumb mistakes, yeah Id have a problem with that, Smokers, Obese people, etc shouldn't get to sue for stupidity.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Lets see, I know of about 2 family members who get cancer from one smoker, SO one jack ass who couldn't quit made the other two family members suffer.

So now lets say he wants to get in on this law suit to get paid off his dumb mistakes, yeah Id have a problem with that, Smokers, Obese people, etc shouldn't get to sue for stupidity.

And you are seeing the smokers agreeing with that. This isn't a thread for propaganda. Hell, let us smokers diss ourselves. We get it from you guys all the time. Let us have one without the hateful rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Going by that line of thinking.... It has been known for quite a while now, secondhand smoke can give you cancer. They made the choice to live with a smoker, their fault.

The smoker trap is set, so that they hook you when you are young, and don't properly understand mortality. By the time you smarten up, you are hooked.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Not sure I buy that "second-hand smoke" cancer cause. Seems I've read where the incidence of lung cancer is about the same for non-smokers, perhaps even a bit higher. I think there is a bit of scape-goating going on with smoking stats, enough razzmatazz to justify high taxes placed on it.

Also, from my observation, the increase of asthma among children in the US might be more directly related to the popularity of wall-to-wall carpeting in homes. That is not a huge health problem here in Mexico and that sort of carpeting is somewhat rare. Neither was asthma such a big problem when I was growing up when we had hardwood floors and rugs were taken out for a more thorough cleaning than is possible with vacuum cleaners.

I'm not offering hard science here and I'm sure industry experts already have thousands of arguments against such suggestions.

edit on 10-3-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was a smoker for one and a half decades and take full responsibility for my decisions. I reject the popular notion that others are to blame, that my genes are to blame, corporations are to blame, etc. I fully support the rejection of this lawsuit.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Precisely my point....
Is the heroin dealer not partly responsible for the habit?
Like i said, i started at 8, when the cigarette was a mark of cool adult behavior.....
The dangers were a much covered up secret than too......
Dont get me wrong here....i am not party to any suit (though it may be worth a shot) i learned that smoking was bad when my father dropped dead......if anyone was a smoker he was a smokers smoker......
mixed cut plug tobacco with Millbank rolling tobacco, and spit out five "man killers" he afectionately called them, or coffin nails,....out of a roller which took long papers and made 18 inch cigarettes.....(he cut them with a razor blade in a notch system on the back of the roller..)
I used to steal them as a teen ager....they remind me of galoise a french cigarette of unspeakbly horrid taste.....
We got thosee and russsians as well as Gold Star tins of fifty or twenty five, and baalkan Sobranes, in boxes,
Oh and Players Mediums with the beautiful sunset on the package.....
We rode down to the New Westminister docks and boarded the frieghters there sometimes to deal with the crewmen for smookes....
(we were kids....12-16.....)
Wed go in our army cadet uniforms (it looked official to the foriegners)and they always had smokes to sell......
Much of my chidhoods activity was directed to obtaining the money or the goods.....smokes were easy to buy, but money was scarce.....
We had a few scams that dont work anymore(or they would still be tempting)
One was Phone stuffing....
It went like this.....firstly, we had out trusty getaways...(our bikes)and could be gone and dissapeared in seconds melting into the mass of people in the town going about their lives....we were kids....
Pay telephones were ubiquitous those days, and stood in their little houses on many a deserted corner or tucked away neaath a easily silenced street light....(we were armed with BB and pellet guns)
Toiltet paper or Newsprint was stuffed upwards into the phone with small fingers and popsicle sticks....the wad would cut off the coin drop and not allow coin returns either.....
Returning days or whatever later...we would fish the paper wad out with a wire hook, and the resulting shower of coinage could be likened to striking a slot machine jackpot, if someone had placed a long distance call meantimes.....
With our bycicles we would rapidly scan the alleys for open garages and sneak back to get any stray popbottles or beer bottles thus exposed later....
Though we restricted ourselves to this petty type of pilfering...(lacking imagination i suppose,)
We did manage as a group (its kids against the adults dontcha know....) t keep ourselves fairly regulaarly supplied with cigareettes, and aas our parents all sent us to the corner for theirsuppliees, and the storekeeps knew us....if we purchased our own supply at the same time, of the same brands...well nobody needed to get upset did they............................
World war 2 left scads of surplus cigarettes available to small corner store owners too....
These stale but cheap cigarettes were sometimes a dime or fifteen cents a pack, against thirty five or twenty nine for pouch packs of 20......reular price....
naturally us kids were happy to expand our taste horizons at this price....
bleeeech.......i still remember how dry dry they were....dessicated is more like it....
Of course delivering the Star Weekly brought me in about two dollars and fifty cents a week, and i had the cash to buy my own every wednesday, but hardly managed to save anything for the rest of the week....
Yep....Im guilty as charged....a definate addicted addict of the first rank, since childhood.....
all my fault surely....

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I would rather citizens square up against the Government so that they don't have to go to obscure methods of trying to grow organic tobacco but farmers can do so and sell at farmer markets. Along with small packs of say 4 smokes for those who have quit on the patch but who need the occasional shot of nicotine, and smoke to lift chronic depression, because it alters brain chemistry. They have NO RIGHT to dictate people's methods of quitting or procurring it, or growing healthy non chemical soup radiation forms of it.

But anyone smoking now today should be aware of the consequences.

And there are far more important battles to do with their thinking they OWN the seeds or rights to citizens of the resources of this earth.

The smoking part is free will, and it seems this group want less free will and MORE government control. A little odd.

I want their hands off the land and resources which belong equally to all of us.

As for smoking pure tobacco, well studies are mixed. Not good for some things, probably circulation and heart, but this can be corrected by Vit C and nutrients, such as iodine and sea salt and cocnunt oils.

However, BC university study went into depth at how smoking seems to block absorption of Nuclear isotopes and there are some rather interesting results.

I'm not For or Against natural, heritage seed resources being utlized by all the people with free will, I am 100% against Fascism and Control and Corporate Ownership of Seeds and Earth. NOT!!!!! I won't yeild that.
edit on 10-3-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

The smoker trap is set, so that they hook you when you are young, and don't properly understand mortality. By the time you smarten up, you are hooked.

If I had to "understand mortality" before making life decisions I probably never would have had a threesome. Never would have drunken getaways in random countries-getting stranded in the third wold LOL, and probably would have nothing fun to reflect on.

So...

Let me enjoy my smokes that I was "hooked on while I was young."

I don't wanna live an extra 30 years recounting how boring my life is.

edit on 10-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Oops. Last part meant I am not for or against smoking natural organic tobacco, I'm 100% against corporate ownership or government evil legistlations regarding what is OURS 100%, the earth and its resources are ours, and shared with other creatures too. Not theirs, for they are just one more little part of us, not more, and not less, so they better get over their egos.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Rofl, sounds like the kinda people I would party with

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClydeFrog42
How bout if we start charging higher taxes on beer, fast food, and any sort of pollution generated by corporate factories. If were going to start charging smokers twice as much, its only fair.... We are all supporting pollution and ill health in one way or another, whether or not you would like to admit it.
edit on 10-3-2012 by ClydeFrog42 because: (no reason given)

Higher taxes?
Just going to push MORE jobs
out of the USA. Make middle class
America be out MORE money and make them
poorer then they already are.

Everyone knows this lawsuit has nothing
to do with anyones health. They don't
care two licks about people health.
It is just an easy hit for these lawyers, politicians,
and people to get into some deep pockets..

How about we sue the Inbev company for making
beer that has caused people liver damage
and all the drunk driving deaths.

Lets sue hershey's chocolate for
giving people diabetes.

When does it end?

The e-cig is the best way to deliver
nicotine into the system.

edit on 10-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join