It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How annoying are the ATS Recap PMs??!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I have been against the recaps since they first began.

There are people here for different reasons, some are truth seekers, some are here to socialize, some are here to mock truth seekers, others to control the conversation to direct people towards their agenda. Some people like to joke around, but they also contribute their own thoughts to the boards. I believe the recaps are designed to make a mockery of conspiracy theorists without contributing anything of value in return.
edit on 10-3-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

That's odd. Why weren't the offending posts removed and members banned? Why, at least, wasn't the thread just locked?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Posts were removed. A mod went in and said talking about the content of the recap videos was ok, but using the image of a member and mocking him was wrong. He said bans would follow if people didn't stop with the insults, but they continued, so the thread was removed. I suppose because it was easier than having 2 full pages of "Extreme T&C Violation" tags.

On topic, I'd like the video announcements to be added to the ribbon, like the ATS live ones. So no more u2us. I always think it's a mod saying I did something wrong when I see the "new message" thing.

edit on 10-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Careful what you say, they might remove this thread too. I commented on a very similar thread yesterday but it seems to have mysteriously disappeared. This site's a bit of a joke these days, not being able to express one's opinions and all that.

But yeah, get rid of these ridiculous ATS recap videos. It's a very silly idea. I keep thinking I've got private messages, but then realise it's spam. I've contacted admin asking them to stop spamming my inbox with dumbed-down horse-sh!t videos, but they don't seem to care.

Admin(s): If you remove any more threads again for no reason with no explanation, I won't be coming back.
edit on 11/3/2012 by HexagonSun because: typo

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

well they are better than:

"a thread of yours has been moved"

"a thread of yours has been removed because you were outside the t & c and you have lost 2000 points"

farout.. how the hell would you cope if you had a real problem????

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
This is why your all upset really, isn't it?

BRILLIANT

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Good one
And yes you're right. Love the cartoon but I don't think you have to worry about not being liked as you're one of the most "likable" people here.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I wasn't too bothered about them at first, but the irritation builds up and up until it starts to drive you nuts

I completey agree, it now just irritates the life outa me having to see and delete them all the time

Judging by the comments on this thread and the other before it got removed, I've come to the conclusion that the majority of ATS members are a lot of lazy, whiny little complainers!

I've never heard the use of the internet sound like such an awful, dreadful task in my life.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Well theres clearly a fair few members that dont really like or want these inboxes.....spose well just have to wait and see if our voice grows stronger, thanks for the support everyone.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Bombarding us with the recap with all the links and screen caps and u2u's is what annoys me.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I posted on one of of the other ATS recap thread's here but I don't think it was seen all that much, the thread was slowing right down as it was. Since this thread seems to be getting more attention right now though and I just want to share an opinion I have I'll post something quite similar to what I posted there..

First off though let me say that yeah, I actually do like the recap shows. I do watch them and I appreciate the PM's letting me know when a new one's up and ready to be viewed - Without the PM there's a good chance I'd miss them in fact and as I said before.. I enjoy them thus want to watch them thus appreciate the PM's. That's just my personal opinion of this issue..

But, with that being so, I actually don't think there's anything wrong with a lot of what people here are saying. And I think they have a right to say it too. See, if something on ATS was being advertised and it was something which I happened to have no real interest in, I know I'd rather not receive a couple of PM's a week about it - Especially if I didn't talk with many other members via PM thus making those PM's some of the only one's I receive. That's why some are calling these Recap PM's spam as well I imagine, It appears that way to those who don't ever enjoy/watch them. In fact, just imagine if someone disliked you and to bug you they decided to post a couple of annoying PM's every single week about something you'd rather not read - sure it could be deleted easy enough, and as some here have pointed out it just takes a few seconds to do so. No problem, right? But to be truthful I think we can all agree that such a thing, with time, would certainly get old and fast too.

So sure, at first it may not be too much of an issue but I really don't think anyone here can deny that after a while, thing's like that do become a pain. And that's the key to all of this here.. People can of course very quickly delete those PM's, and have done, but the fact that they're doing it time and time again is becoming an annoyance to them and they're now speaking up about it.

After all, just imagine if you, for example here, had no real interest in the shows, or anything else for arguments sake, and yet you're receiving multiple PM's about it time and time again - I know I'd start to get annoyed over that. I'd maybe even go to the trouble of actually asking for it to be stopped somewhere as well - Sure.. it has to be highlighted once again that It's all still not a big deal or anything and It's hardly going to affect my life, what I do and post on ATS and so on. But the point still remains, if I find something annoying and I'd like for it to stop.. I'll try and make it stop. As we all would when faced with something annoying to us, personally.

So I do appreciate the PM's, but honestly, I can still see where some people are coming from here. If they find it annoying then I don't blame them for complaining about it. Like I said, we all complain about stuff that bugs us. Nothing wrong with that at all really, it's just what we all do and It's something we've all done at some point in our lives. For that reason I think there should be some sort of "Opt-out" feature - But not a feature where members can Opt out of really Important PM's from Admin and staff, like a change in the Terms and conditions for example, but instead a choice where those members, like myself, who enjoy the shows can still be informed of them and those who aren't maybe so keen on them, such as the OP among some others, can still stay happy and not receive PM's about it - Let's not forget as well that videos are advertised on the recent posts page as well as some others as well so It's certainly not like the Recap shows would be completely removed for those opting out - They're just opting out of these PM's they would rather not receive time and time again. The choice for them to watch at some point would still be there for them.

But anyway, like I said, I'm just throwing out my opinion. I like to think I can see both sides of the argument here and I really don't think anyone can doubt that a lot of people would like to at least have a choice to view these shows instead of having it "forced" upon them - Forced in the sense that they're being forced to be made aware of it, of course however they do still have the choice of watching or not.

On a truly final note though I just want to point out that yeah, this is a free site and we're all appreciative of that, or we all should be anyway, as well as the fact that the admin can do as they please here. It is after all their site, their home etc. and we do play by their rules. No problem with that at all really. We signed the T&C's when we registered. But I'm just saying, a compromise, as far as I can see anyway, would at the very least be appreciated by many, many members and some sort of PM Opt out should be something that is seriously considered as a viable option.. and please remember, this is coming from someone who actually enjoys the shows and wants to be informed of them so It's certainly not like I'm just looking to complain or anything like that here. I just like to think I can see where some people are coming from when looking at this issue in particular and I know that If I was in their shoes I'd most probably be asking for the exact same thing I imagine.
edit on 11-3-2012 by Rising Against because: Just adding little bits to my post here and there

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Some wise words once again RA

Totally agree with you, for are for, some are aginst...some kind of compramise would be greatly appreciated

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
As someone in that last deleted thread once said (I can no longer quote who it was, since they have, in effect, been silenced), this site is run primarily by user-generated content.

It is posters who post quality stuff that keeps me coming back, and not the ever-increasing noise, poor taste of front-page presentation, constant "new mail" popup, junk mail, and recurrent silencing of ideas and topics because of a few who chose to break the t&c while posting.

/rant

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Yeah, I don't really think It's too much to ask for as well - Of course though, like I said before, it's not our site, it's theirs. So whatever's done is done, whatever's final is final and so on. I won't lose any sleep over it and I imagine the same applies to everyone else.

I just think that in the interest of fairness to those who aren't too keen about the shows, some sort of compromise, like an Opt out feature, would be a good idea here. It'll make both sides happy as far as I can see - Those who want the PM's can still get them and those who don't have the choice to opt out all the while still being made aware of the shows in a less than intrusive way as they're advertised elsewhere - Everybody's happy.

Some opinions from some of the staff, particularly an admin, here on my last post would be greatly appreciated too. I'm just curious to know what the general opinion is on it, that's all..

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I agree. I find them very annoying there should be some form of unsubscribe option. I find them especially annoying when viewing the site via mobile and the notification continually pops up unless I click on it.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I'm not so keen on them either, I keep thinking I'm popular then realising they are the ATS recaps :*(
lol

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

How annoying are the ATS Recap PMs??!!!

Less annoying then repeated threads... to each their own, I guess.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The threads are repeated because the previosly ones have been trashed, and since a lot of people are really annoyed by this constant PM spam, they want to talk about it. So, a new thread has to be made if the last one was trashed to silence people.

It's not really that hard to understand, is it?

edit on 14-3-2012 by th2356 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
This is why your all upset really, isn't it?

That's why I don't like em.

DAVESPANNERS IS A MND-READER!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
i guess you got your way as i recieved no PM about the new recap.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join