It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Jobs in the UK!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Im sooo F***ing pissed at the UK Gov right now!!!

There are absolutley NO JOBS TO APPLY FOR :@

The worst part is, they know it!! and there making it that way!!

Every day Im searching, and every day im getting no where! I use sites such as jobs.gov (where there are around 200 jobs advertised, but a total of 2 I can actually apply for!! you see there all highly proffesional jobs, such as university proffesors, scientists,teachers or HGV drivers jobs)

If they told me when I left school (5 years ago) that those where going to be the only available jobs, then I would have trained towards those!!

And then I have used all the other jobsites you can name (Jobsite, total jobs, reed, monster etc.) Full of proffesional Jobs that I am unable to apply for!! that or full of RIDICULOUS jobs such as:

Catalogue Distributer
Catalogue Distributer
Catalogue Distributer
Appointment Maker
Appointment Maker

These dont even pay you an hourly rate!!!!!

Why are there no jobs???

Because now the Govs making most people Volunteer 40 hours per week to Earn their Job Seekers Allowance £50 per week (Which anyone whos tried living off this knows is near impossible!! Especially when you keep rising inflation you twatting dumbasses!!!)

So yea, the Governments providing all your larger companies such as Tesco, Poundland, and most retail and manufacturing companies with FREE STAFF, hence they have no need to HIRE ANYONE!!

The only thing in Abundence at the moment is "Apprenticeships" I say it like that because these are actual real job roles that there just naming "Apprenticeships" so they can get away with paying you £2.60 an hour!!

And most of them dont even pay you hourly, they have a fixed rate £75-95 per week for 37-40 hours of your life!!
They only thing the companies have to undertake is hiring and NVQ assesor, paid roughly £13,000 a year, that are able to train up to 5 delegates at a time. The companies also dont advertise the fact that they get £4,000 pound grant of the Government everytime they take on an apprentice!!

Once every Month or so I have to attend these STOOPIDD meetings at the job centre where I have to sit with a weird bunch of other job seekers, receiving a lecture from all kinds of dumb ass people that tell us the same thing over and over again :

"When looking for work you need to have an up to date CV. You can look for work by either using the job centre points here, our website, or other sites (such as the ones I've mentioned), alternitivley, you can join one of our many voluntary courses, that will help you gain experience and eventually lead to employment"

That talk takes them an hour!!.... I repeated tell them IM AWARE OF ALL THIS, SPEND THIS FEKKING HOUR FINDING ME A DECENT JOB TO APPLY FOR!!

These people who come in the job centre to talk to us, if I remember correctly, actually get paid £300 each for every hour they preach this crap.

And the voluntary courses LEAD NO WHERE!! trust me!

I personnelly refuse to give them my slave labour, as I have seen many friends complete up to 3 2 month, 40 hour pw courses and its got them no where!!

The Government ARE AWARE they are phasing out actual real jobs. Replasing them with volunteers or "Apprenticeships".

I've now found my only option is to apply for as many Engineering apprenticeships that I can, for these are the only real ones!! 4 year course, with stockholding companies, that will keep me once they've trained me, and are willing to pay £200 pw for my time, and once complete ill be earning £15,000-£25,0000 a year.

Everything else is an absolute farse!!! I feel i have no control over my own life!!

Any thoughts??

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Get yourself on an agency - Trust me, It's seriously helpful. As well as you looking or a job they also look for one for you and from experience I do know they find them. Sure, they may not be the best jobs out there but so what, a job's a job and something, just anything, is always better than nothing. It's worth pointing out as well that a few weeks ago they helped me get the one I have now and trust me, I'm massively grateful.

This for example was very helpful to me: www.phoenixent.org.uk...

Another tip I was given which I found helpful was you need to stop solely looking for jobs that are advertised in papers or online. Most of the jobs out there, from what I was told, aren't being advertised at all because.. well, why would a company pay money (in today's world might I add) to advertise a vacancy when they already have many people asking around for jobs. It's a waste of money really. That's what you need to do. Just ring up any place of work and ask if they have a job available, or go in and actually hand in a CV. It does eventually work.

Hope you find a job soon!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I had no idea it was like that in the UK.....It sounds so different than here in the states. I have never been unemployed so I cannot say I feel your pain, BUT I can feel your pain through your words. Keep your chin up and whatever happens, do not give up on yourself.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'm lucky in the fact that ive never been out of work so have never had to sign on. It sounds tough!

I have to say though, I've never gotten a job through the job centre? I've always found it better to approach companies directly.

Im working in industry at the moment. The only trouble is nothing is safe these days! I would hate to be young and looking for work now. I hope you find something soon.

Edit to add: There is no way if I fell out of work I would be going to work at poundland or tesco for £50 a week. A total waste of my time. I'd be out looking for a job instead

edit on 10/3/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks RA, Im going to your link now

Sadley yes, I know alot of companies just arent advertising, many can get all there staff through word of mouth, I've got a handfull of lucky friends who have been set up nice since they day the left school because they had connections.

Its so true...Its not what you know, but who you know (sighhhh)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Ahh yeah I know what you mean, I seriously hate those people, lol.

I went quite a while without work as well btw and I hated it. I wish I could get paid for doing literally nothing all day (or for browsing my favourite site online
) but, rather annoyingly, the world isn't quite like that and I really need the money to keep me going right now. Like you said, JSA just isn't enough, especially for younger people like us so having no job can be really tough at times.

Where I live it costs around just short of £5 each time I want to go into the middle of town where A.) The Job center is and B.) Where the majority of the jobs are as well (I live in a village with many people and few jobs and It's actually quite far from where they all are). So I found it a bit tough to keep up with rent and then actually go and look for work. Most of the time I just looked online but that's not as helpful as most think it is, It's just a more convenient place to look really. The real jobs are found by going out and handing in your CV though, or getting on an agency (this in particular!). Or at least that's the thing to do right now in my opinion. From experience I can honestly say It's the only way I've found work - Applying for a job online has never done it, and handing in a CV personally isn't too much better as well.

Anyway, I hope you find that link helpful - They were very helpful to me after all. If you don't find it all that helpful though then I'd seriously recommend you, at least for now, try another agency near to you. You may not like the jobs they provide (because even I'll admit they are crap) but like I said before, money's money and any job is better than no job. Plus you could always look for something else as the money continually comes in.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Yeah,it really sucks at the moment-and we have the Con-Dem austerity scam to thank for it.
All companies are being forced to make cuts in staff and services because stuff costs so much and there is no money about.
Why?Because the banks and government have squirreled it all away for themselves.
My bro has just been told he is facing possible redundancy after only just getting a job at a newspaper a few months back.
He thought he was set for with a job for life after getting into massive debt at university,but maybe not now.

Maybe if we stopped importing third rate,crappily built plastic junk from China there would be more manufacturing jobs here,but that is too much to hope for.

Globalization-ain't it just great??

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Ohh if you dont mind me asking (as you said your younger too) how old are you? I enjoy reading some of your threads, I thought you was older lol...

And yup, I think you've converted me from internet job hunting, because it honestly hasnt got me anywhere...tonights 3 hours will go to signing up for agencies thanks

OMG!! I know £3.80 to get on the buses now!! I remeber when I could get on for 20p haha. If they keep raising it, it'll be cheaper to get taxis everywhere!!

Have you also noticed they've changed most land lines from the area code (mine being 0121) to 0845 numbers that charge you extra, even though it is a local landline!!

I really dont know whats happening with this country, all I knwo is I need to be able to find a job that means I can afford to rent my own place before september or I can say good by to my University dreams

It also makes me laugh how they've still got the floodgates open for more immigrants when we cant support the people already here!!

ETA: Would the person who starred me mind flagging me?? The ratio isnt even, I have OCD and it reaaaallllyyy bugs me lol

edit on 10-3-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Welcome to the American life.

Guess we aren't so different after all, chap.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I had no idea it was like that in the UK.....It sounds so different than here in the states. I have never been unemployed so I cannot say I feel your pain, BUT I can feel your pain through your words. Keep your chin up and whatever happens, do not give up on yourself.

It's so much easier to stay strong and make speeches, when you're on the other side of the glass.
edit on CSaturdaypm333305f05America/Chicago10 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

ETA: Would the person who starred me mind flagging me?? The ratio isnt even, I have OCD and it reaaaallllyyy bugs me lol

Starred just to throw off the ratio.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Haha thanks for that
lol mayynn

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Ohh if you dont mind me asking (as you said your younger too) how old are you? I enjoy reading some of your threads, I thought you was older lol...

lol, I'm 19.

Anyway, there's still nothing wrong with internet job hunting or anything like that.. I mean anything is worth a shot I guess, it's just worth knowing that it really is a long shot. But It's very convenient.. which is probably it's downfall really. It's convenient for most people out there thus they all use it thus finding work that way is becoming harder with more and more people finding and then applying for the jobs you're also after. :/

I found a job opening one time, I went to the open day where I thought a few others would be turning up and before I knew it, it seems like there was close to a thousand people there. And that was just for that half an hour slot (which was early morning so loads more probably turned up later on I imagine). I'm told It's like this everywhere - Literally hundreds and hundreds of people are applying for job openings, even for those jobs no one wants to do - Thus why we're in that odd situation where actually applying for places which don't advertise at all is turning into a better way of finding a job.

And yeah I know what you mean, everything's going up in price it seems. Our age group has the lowest income and with all the rising prices just staying afloat is becoming a challenge.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I just jumped over to your profile to be nosy

I opened your recent UFO thread, what a coincidence, I too have had this experience of strange bright lights that appear about the 6-7pm mark....moving slowly left to right, glowing up ridiculously, then staying in one position for roughly 20 mins, just floating away out off line of sight..I would recommend my thread on my exsperience but its a little wack to say the least lol...

At least once a week I check the UK-UFO sight to keep up to date with other sighting around the UK, off my own topic I know lol..but your on this thread currently not that one, thought I'd share.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by Starwise

It's so much easier to stay strong and make speeches, when you're on the other side of the glass.
edit on CSaturdaypm333305f05America/Chicago10 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

No, far from the other side of the glass. Maybe I have never been unemployed but you do not even know the depths of my lifetime experiences.
Empathy is obviously a gift you have not received.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is not a lack of jobs in the UK, there is a lack of people willing to show their dedication to get such jobs. Nearly all imigrants get a job and that is because they show a willinhness to work. If theres a job you really want to do and your not qualified, then work for them for free to gain experience and if you are worth you salt then there will be a job at the end of it. If not you walk away with the experience and can put it on your CV.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I dont know what universe your living in, but all those immigrants are employed because they come over to join family business' that discriminate against hiring English people!!

Think of all those taxi drivers that COULD be english, and think of all those corners in England that have corner shops that COULD be filled by English people.....but are they?? no...whys that?? because we dont want to work in corner shops?? Of course not its because they wont hire us becuz they got too many immigrants filling the place up!!

I think you need a reality check.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

feel sorry for youself all you like but if you truely want a job you will find one. I did.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Do you want a career or do you want money?? Join an agency like Adecco.. You'll get work more or less straight away!! You'll be treated like sh!t but at least you'll have money in your pocket that you can use to chase a career!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

My GF is one of the "dumbasses" employed to work in a Job Centre. She's one of the "dumbasses" who leads the one hour "back to work sessions" that young people are invited to (not compulsory) at the 13th week of unemployment. And over half the people invited to attend don't even bother, so bloody bone idle they are.

She's doesn't earn £300 a goddamn hour. She earns £8.10 per hour. Once she pays her taxes, she has just under £1200 per month, hardly a kings ransom.

And Jobseekers benefit, Mister Know Everything, for most is £67.50 per week. PLUS your rent paid. PLUS the interest on your mortgage paid. PLUS your local taxes paid. PLUS free this, discounted that.

You are one of the reasons your nation is going down the toilet. Your sense of entitlement is totally ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join