It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World seabird numbers still falling, says a new review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Good morning all
(sorry if wrong forum)

Just had quick look at the news before im off out for the day.

Almost half of the world's seabirds have populations that are thought to be in decline, according to a new review.

The study, published in Bird Conservation International, found that 28% of species are considered to be in the highest categories of risk.

Conservationists are particularly concerned by the albatross family.

Threats to the birds include commercial fishing and damage to breeding colonies caused by rats and other invasive species.

Seabirds make up just a small proportion (3.5%) of the world's bird species. But researchers say they are an important indicator of the health of the oceans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some of the most important breeding colonies are on remote islands in UK overseas territories. Last year an Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) project, part-funded by the UK Government, carried out a programme to eradicate rats on Henderson Island in the South Pacific.

Helicopters guided by GPS dropped rat poison pellets on the island, which is the only known breeding site of the endangered Henderson petrel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Whats strangely sarcastical is (sorry spelling hungover)
as we grew up we were taught about the birds and the bees (as in sexual reproduction)
now i see the government laughing at us
if theres no birds n bees the eco system will eventually have a drastic affect
maybe in our lifetimes, maybe our childrens
oh well at least the helpfull gov are setting up more sanctuarys
cheers all
have a good weekend
and take that country walk you have promised yourselves for years
it might not be there tomorrow
dave

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

hya
cheers for the link
that is a creepy bird
reminds me of a bully lol
cheers
dave

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

hya
sorry..i get your meaning now
this bird probably has been adapting to earth and not changed in thousands of years(millions)
and we are killing them of due to our industrial greed
cheers

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Hi Dave, that's devastating news.
It was twenty nine years ago that my brother and I made the BBC 'Natural World' film, "Fragments of Eden", documenting the wildlife and ecosystems of the Seychelles archipelago in the Indian Ocean.
Our film may present a rarity, if viewed today: some of the islands had such abundant colonies of sea birds that it seemed truly like Eden.....we were literally 'enveloped' by these beautiful creatures flying and nesting around us, as we camped on these deserted isles to film them.

Nostalgia lurks......and covers me with a cloak of sadness.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Sorry,I knew that was off topic and would like to conclude about the bees of whom pollinate a lot for us

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Starling

hi Starling
Is that your doc on youtube from 1984
ive saved it to watch later, it has a good review
thanks for that
cheers
dave

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I'm not surprised their numbers are falling what with the ocean almost fished to death and the only abundant food that's left is plastic.

I watched a documentary about plastic pollution the other night. Every bird has plastic in it's belly. Some of the little dead blighters were given autopsies and their belly contents put into trays for a look. The man said something like "this looks like a tiny amount but here's the human-sized equivalent if WE were eating plastic." Then he pulled out this ice-cream sized tub and it was half-filled with plastic string, net, and a variety of bath sponges etc etc. Disgusting it was.

Then there were images of dead sea lions, penguins, giant turtles , all strangled or choked with fishing line, plastic bottle necks and rubbery gloves.

I hate plastic. We used to buy tupperware in the 70s, it was great stuff, very handy. Now it's too handy, too cheap and there's too much of it.

If there's a shortage of oil, why isn't there a shortage of plastic?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
reply to post by Starling

hi Starling
Is that your doc on youtube from 1984
ive saved it to watch later, it has a good review
thanks for that
cheers
dave

It is indeed!
My brother was the cinematographer, writer and producer. I was the still photographer, as well as the sound recorder and lighting assistant. We were a 2-wo-/man team!!!
My photos, (almost 30 years old), are just being uploaded on IStockphoto.com, as we speak. (Helen MacGregor photo). Nobody can believe that they're not digitally enhanced: the area was once that pristine.....oh so long ago!

I hope you enjoy the film.....(That YouTube recording is not of the best quality, though).

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit

I hate plastic. We used to buy tupperware in the 70s, it was great stuff, very handy. Now it's too handy, too cheap and there's too much of it.

If there's a shortage of oil, why isn't there a shortage of plastic?

Ive often thought about that.
I seen many docs over the years
The ones that hit hard to me are
oil spills
cheers
dave

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Hya
you was not off topic

Helicopters guided by GPS dropped rat poison pellets on the island, which is the only known breeding site of the endangered Henderson petrel.

Do i sniff a rat
gps guided rat poison?
mmmm

new topics

top topics

join