It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A strengthening job market reflected in numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
A strengthening job market reflected in numbers

A 1% improvement over last year !

15.9% is now down to 14.9% !!!

WOW !!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The job market turned in another impressive performance in February - the third straight month in which employers added at least 200,000 jobs.

The gains were spread across industries. And the government said December and January, already two of the best months for jobs since the recession, were even stronger than first estimated.

UNEMPLOYMENT DECLINES

8.3 percent: Unemployment rate in February, unchanged from the previous month.

9 percent: Unemployment rate one year earlier.

[color=cyan]--
14.9 percent: A broader rate for February that includes not only the unemployed but also part-timers who want full-time work and "discouraged" people who've stopped looking.

15.9 percent: The same rate a year ago.
--

UNEMPLOYMENT RATE BY GROUP

6.3 percent: Asian.

7.3 percent: Whites.

10.7 percent: Hispanic.

14.1 percent: Blacks.

UNEMPLOYMENT DECLINES (from AP)

Fox News Story

Are these real numbers counted by statistics ?

Or are these estimates by phone surveys ?

And, how do they know who is "discouraged" or who has stopped looking ?

edit on Mar-10-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Pretty wicked statistics all over the board...did you read my political madness thread that every one paid no attention to?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

One is considered discouraged after 6 months of unemployment. At this point they are no longer consider part of the job market and they are not represented in the unemployment rate. You know, it might be a year but I know it doesn't surpass that period of time.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Few will look at a thread they have no idea what the subject is, yes politics are mad, be more specific with your thread titles, entise the reader into entering your thread.

In the us, the unemployment rate is probably closer to 20% but more than half have all but given up finding a job.
edit on 10-3-2012 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

Yes you are correct,I should of stretched it out with more personal intuitions and after effect thought

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Here's how they keep the unemployment percentage rate from changing too. The very last sentence of the report. They go back and change numbers from the previous months.

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for December was revised from +203,000 to +223,000, and the change for January was revised from +243,000 to +284,000.

www.bls.gov...

I'm not buying it. Of course, they have to adjust those numbers because the January Mass Layoff reports shows that 129,920 people were laid off in January.

Out of the 82,000 professional and business jobs, half of them were temp jobs. I'm sure most of these professional jobs were tax business related and we'll see them all jump off after April or May.

As for the 61,000 increase in hospital and health care jobs. This only proves that the stress related to the economy and finding a job is just making people that much sicker!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

You would not happen to have the percent of job growth rate in the private sector compared to growth in government jobs would you? I'd love to see this info! In my business we have all kind of new inspectors including t department of labor who have recently threatened a 2 million dollar fine for failing to comply on a labor survey that say how much our employees are paid & how many are employed! Now they want us to contact the head supervisor once a month with this info. Pretty much my tax dollars are paying for these S.O.B.'s to harrass & threaten me! Just one example, amongst many of all kind of new "Inspectors" that have no real purpose other than to make life harder on the real backbone of America. SMALL BUISNESS!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mississippi

You would not happen to have the percent of job growth rate in the private sector compared to growth in government jobs would you? I'd love to see this info! In my business we have all kind of new inspectors including t department of labor who have recently threatened a 2 million dollar fine for failing to comply on a labor survey that say how much our employees are paid & how many are employed! Now they want us to contact the head supervisor once a month with this info. Pretty much my tax dollars are paying for these S.O.B.'s to harrass & threaten me! Just one example, amongst many of all kind of new "Inspectors" that have no real purpose other than to make life harder on the real backbone of America. SMALL BUISNESS!

That's a damn good question.

All I see in the report is:

WHERE THE JOBS ARE:

82,000: Job gains in professional services, such as legal, accounting and temporary help, in February.

71,000: Job gains in education and health care.

41,000: Job gains in restaurants and bars.

31,000: Job gains in manufacturing.

6,000: Job gains in financial services.

Hmmm.

I wonder what "category" the put any government worker under ?
(Fed, State, Local)

Hmmm

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mississippi

Maybe a comparison of these two reports will help you.

Total Private Payroll Employee Numbers by Month/Year:

data.bls.gov...

Total Government Payroll Employee Numbers by Month/Year:

data.bls.gov...

Edit: Maybe they don't allow these kinds of links? I'll see if I can extract the information myself since I just looked at them.

Total Number of People working in Private Sector

Jan 2012 = 110,478,000
Feb 2012 = 110,711,000

Total Number of People working for Government

Jan 2012 = 21,992,000
Feb 2012 = 21,986,000
edit on 10-3-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Nothing but a numbers game. In order for real growth to occur real goods must be produced and sold somewhere. The Baltic dry index says we are down 40% in the past year and an additional 10% year to date to 50.5%. So how can real growth and jobs occur if so much less is being produced and sold world wide. We all know huge amounts of manufacturing jobs aren't coming back to the US.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

These numbers are phony. They don't count all of the people affected by employment. The ones who have dried up their unemployment benefits, the underemployed sometimes as low as 8 hours a week depending on nature of business, and those who have given up due to unemployment of 26 months or longer since a lot of companies are resisting hiring the really long term unemployed. Just wondering how long they can hide the real shape of the economy especially since gas is on the rise and the other consequences that ensue.

edit on 11-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: typo

new topics

top topics

join