It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to change Save Preference for phone or pc?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hey folks, it is that time of night and of course I am having a deedeedeee moment. This is my problem.

I took video on my evo4 g tonight. Seems the file extensions were saved to a ."3gp". I really want to open these files in windows movie maker or windows media player. Changing the extensions doesnt cut it, and I cant remember how to make windows media player my default as I thought I had all ready done that.

These are videos for a upcoming cancun vacation, so I would love to be able to work with what I know. Can I change settings on
phone to save a wmp or wmm, or change from the pc and how?

Thanks....

edit on 9/3/12 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
You could convert them to another format (avi, wmv or whatever) using VLC media player, it's opensource and has a built in converter;
www.videolan.org...

Quick search for windows tutorial came up with this:
www.youtube.com...

Pretty straight forward.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

right click on the file and "open with" then you should have a make default option to click.

If im understanding what your asking

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

right click on the file and "open with" then you should have a make default option to click.

If im understanding what your asking

What Dave said.

Also, you cant just rename a file, as it defines the format for the PC to know how to deal with it. It appears your PC is not set to open that format, but it does not mean you cannot play it.

So right click, open as.

Or do a web search for 3gp to avi, or such a search, but I would expect the right click option will work without problem. If windows media says it cannot play it, then Id suggest downloading a package called K-lite Mega codec pack. it is a staple of my media, and I get to do away with media player, and get a version of media player classic to boot - i detest media player, but media player classic is simple, easy and efficient.

but hopefully the open as option works. If it only has Open, and no open as, hold Shift when you right click on the file, it should allow you do open as then.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
First let me thank you all for trying to help.

I do have the options to open with, wmp is not one of them but I can search for it, but it wont do it., Well it will, but it looses the sound.

Im following all the steps in the video for the " VLC", yet again looses the sound. And yes I did go to the other tabs to make sure all was clicked and the extension read right.

My ultimate goal is to be able to open these video clips in my windows movie maker so I can edit add etc.

Can I change a setting on my phone so it isnt saved as 3gp? I mean for future clips I take? Like I said I have a evo 4 g, I just cant seem to find where to change it.

Now off I go to search to convert. I am getting it to work sorta, just loosing sound and it wants to open in dvx, minus the sound

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

save yoursdelf the hassle of converting
and just install the proper codecs

Download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack www.codecguide.com...
make sure you download the Mega version
and to set WMP as default for all video files during installation

as for converting SUPER © is free and pretty versatile www.erightsoft.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
For conversion Xmedia recode does a good job for converting. But I agree the best option is to install K-Lite mege codec pack.

www.xmedia-recode.de...

new topics

top topics

join