Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Highways Of Death In Australia...those who looked away.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
In the last few weeks there has been highly publicised reporting on Heavy Trucks causing the death and serious injury of other motorists.

The Police have been blitzing certain Trucking companies and have been finding Trucks with tampered speed limiters, drug addled Truckies ect ect.

Thousands upon thousands of Australians have either been killed horrifically or maimed for life after being tailgated and pushed into other vehicles,trees, or over embankments, or else being the victim of a truck crossing over to wrong side of the road and smashing them into the next world.

Th equestion is any motorist who drives any freeway in Australia would know that trucks go faster than 100Km/h on a very regular basis.

So why are the PTB ignorant of tailgating truckdrivers speeding in the fast lanes of freeways forcing cars to change lanes or elase be run over?

I can guarantee to anyone that driving the road between the Gold Coast and Brisbane that within twenty minutes armed with any sort of camera they would be able to gather sufficent evidence to prove that Heavy Vehicles including Petrol tankers , B doubles of all sizes , regularly tailgate cars in the fast lanes.

II have personally seen a well known Supermarket delivery Heavy Truck tailgating a Taxi in the slow lane forcing the Taxi off the Road at approx 100Km per hour, I have seen a Semi tailgating a 4 cylinder car in the fast lane (within two metres, whilst a Police car behind me in the slow lane , ignored the Cowboys actions and took the next exit.

It is common knowledge that the Trucking industry in Australia have "special tolerance. " from law enforcement , until of course entire families are wiped out by Trucks and the media pursue the reasons.

I have witnessed trucks on the Pacific Highway in Australia on a single lane stretch racing each other side by side at in my estimation approx 140km/h at 3am in the morning,.

I have been tailgated by a semi trailer at Albury in a small motorhome , he was as close as one foot and I was doing 100kmh on a single lane 100 speed limited stretch of flat road.

About eighteeen years ago I was approaching a level rail crossing which had its red flashing lights on ,as a train was approaching on the Cranbourne line in Melbourne, guess what a Petrol tanker forced me to the adjacent lane as I was braking for the boom gate, he didn't care, but he had to slam his brakes on to avoid smashing through the crossing barrier.

The point being , the trucking industry is out of control , yes there are good Trucking professionals ...I have witnessed them, but hand on the Bible...for every one of the Pros and caring Truck drivers I have seen , I see three tailgating speeding trailers swinging behind them ...cowboys.

Anyone who doubts this , I challenge them to sit at the side of the road on any freeway in Australia and just film the attempted slaughter and actual slaughter occurring every single hour of every single day on Australian roads.

So in ending this post , the logical qusetion is...why has the governement allowed this to perpetuate decade after decade?

We are talking about tens of thousands of dead innocent human beings going to work , dropping their kids at school, going on Holidays.

The Highway of death is a mild title, in cold honesty it should be the "Highways of Consented Murder".
edit on 9-3-2012 by Dr Expired because: spelling and spacing of words

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Here, it's the old ladies you have to watch out for. I have seen things that I have lost sleep over.

Old people are dangerous.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That is ridiculous. In America, or at the least the states I consistently travel in, trucks are the slowest moving vehicle on the highway. They are also more closely watched and ticketed by the police. I admit I have a lead foot sometimes(no where near 130 mph) , but if my Saturn hits anything, I am going to be the loser.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I s&f'd your thread due to your compassion for the safety of others, that imo goes a long way.

As far as what you can do yourself (as opposed to challenging others), along with all you mentioned you could as well bring your frustration and concern to the next level. Write your local and national press, post a blog, and spread the word through social networking sites other than ATS, just to name a few.

Perhaps also send letters of concern to your local and national government and encourage others you cross paths with to do the like. With your passion as your motivation perhaps you'll be responsible for some change.

Just a notion

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Your personal observations mean nothing really.

How about some stats to compliment your observations?

No doubt there are many accidents that involve trucks but who is to say the majority are the trucks fault?

How many of those are trucks running up the backside of a car because the driver of the car pulled in front the truck's braking space at traffic light's?

Or attempting to overtake a truck but completely misjudge distances and narrowly avoided a head on collision with oncoming traffic?

I've seen more car drivers do stupid things around trucks than trucks doing stupid things around cars, but again these are merely my own observations.

We need stats!

Oh and let's not forget, a truck driver has a lot more skill than the average car driver, and with this skill comes the attitude of "I'm bigger and heavier than you" and really, any car driver that doesn't realise (too many IMO) that mass ALWAYS wins are just asking for trouble.

edit on 9/3/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
My mate drives trucks, he recently quit a job for coca-cola due to INSANE levels of pressure on the drivers. They expect deliveries with tolerances of 10 minutes. For any time past the deadline the trucking company gets a fine as per a stupid agreement. So, they put the pressure on the drivers. My mate (whose truck was at least speed limited properly) had to constantly perform dangerous moves so he could keep the truck on 100kmh as consistently as possible. After too many close shaves, poor pay, and ridiculous hours, he changed jobs and now works delivering concrete.

His new job is still very taxing on him though, 6 x 12 hours (not including travelling to and from work) is expected or he loses the job to a new gaggle of young guns who have more energy and are happy to work for lower hourly rates.

The whole industry needs sweeping up, 8 hour 5 day a week limits enforced. Sadly, that will impose higher costs for us all though.
Its a viscous cycle.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

maybe sic Max Brokatanski on them?

F&S

when was 15 i once had a trucker knock me of the road while on my bike
dirtbag came up slow and tapped my rear wheel with his bumper
luckily i caught on in time and was turning and landed on grass and dirt

barely managed to get up in time and started hurling rocks at him and smashed one of his rear lights as he was turning a curve.

took me about an hour to calm down and recover enough to ride home

saw him again

a cop had stopped him for the broken light

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Funny you should mention this as I used to work for the 7th largest fortune 500 company in the world. All the Semi's we ran were modified with a paperclip or staple on certain terminals of the Engine management Computer to exceed the 100kph speed limiter installed on all trucks in Oz. We were even taught how to quickly disable this in the event of a search...
On a side note, I was "wood ducking" a B'dub one night just out of Forbes so I wouldnt hit any Roo's or Wombles.... Put it this way I gave up at 140kph as he was pulling away from me....
Unfortunately nothing will be done even if we lost 10 families next week due to trucks.
I'm not saying all drivers are bad as I used to be one but as with all problems in the world, there are those who give all others a bad name...

And don't get me started on the drug side of things.....

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I would like to see some hard statistics for the "tens of thousands" of deaths. That seems like an extremely high, number. I could be completely wrong though.

As someone who drives 800-1100 miles per week for work (in a car, I am a private investigator), I have little sympathy for someone being tailgated while coasting along in the fast/passing lane. Most of the time it looks to be little old ladies who are seemingly oblivious to the world around them that are driving 55mph in a 70mph zone on the highway (especially I-95 and I-40 in NC). All too often though, it is someone who either doesnt understand or just doesnt care about the unwritten rules of the road.

I drive a lot, but no where near as much as a trucker. Also, I am not on the same type of time-constraints as truckers. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for them to have to deal with, being that their paycheck usually depends on getting their load to its destination in time.

I have never seen any of the violent acts that the OP speaks of, though I am sure they exist. And in no way am I giving the truckers a pass for that type of behavior. All I am saying is that the regular motorist needs to realize the role they play in causing these actions to happen. Again, I am mostly talking about aggressive tailgating, flashing high beams and whatnot, because that is the only thing I am familiar with.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
i have 3 truck drivers in my family and they all know what goes on with certain companies pushing the drivers to much making un realistic demands on delivery times and turn around times if some drivers do not make the drop in time its hit the road jack i work as a painting contractor and i have been forced off the road numerous times by cowboy drivers also people driving too slow on the Australian freeways make life hard for all of us

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

One link for one state of Australia, last year.
www.theage.com.au...

In Australia about a few decades ago they closed down thousands of kilometres of rail track in order to supposedly save moneey and allocated the required freight to the Big trucking millionare owned companies, mmm and life goes on...oh of course not for the many incinerated and crushed families and individuals , now not living as a direct result of this decision to feed the Trucking magnates even more mullah,.

And the slaughter goes on and on and on and on.

The real terrorists are those who sacrifice lives for profit, and they retire millionares.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
Here, it's the old ladies you have to watch out for. I have seen things that I have lost sleep over.

It's not just the old ones.

I personally witnessed an 18yo girl run a stop sign at Freeling on the 2nd February, 2009. Straight in front of a loaded B double in the highway. She was killed instantly and her boyfriend in the passenger's seat took about 10 minutes to die.

I have a dashcam in my truck and believe me, for every truck driver breaking the law you can film, I could provide you footage of two cars easily from my collection.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
My mate drives trucks, he recently quit a job for coca-cola due to INSANE levels of pressure on the drivers.

Nobody "forces" you to do anything, but the manipulation is severe.

You want the job? 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week and you will be getting up at 4 in the morning.

Oh, and make sure you are "fit for work" (which means you are not tired) otherwise you have broken the law.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Adyta

It's not just the old ones.

I personally witnessed an 18yo girl run a stop sign at Freeling on the 2nd February, 2009. Straight in front of a loaded B double in the highway. She was killed instantly and her boyfriend in the passenger's seat took about 10 minutes to die.

I have a dashcam in my truck and believe me, for every truck driver breaking the law you can film, I could provide you footage of two cars easily from my collection.

The attitude of defending the wilful tailgating of those maintaining the ....."Legal Speed limit" is revealing.

If you are a truck driver are you telling me a truck driverr tailgating a car doing 100km per hour as I and many millions of Aussiies hav eeither witnessed or are subject to dialy is simply having to deal with law breaking car drivers?

Get honest , get real, you know a truck cannot stop anywhere as quick as a car, yet how many trucks tailgate cars?

Only foolish cars tailgate trucks , yes I seee them also regularly , but they will be the ones killed, yet trucks weighing many times the tonnage weiight of a car , tailgate cars doing the ......lega llimit...so tell me waht is the braking distance from 100 kmh to zero of a truck? and trucks tailgate within a range of one metre to twenty meters on an easily recorded basis almost continuosly in the fast or slow lanes.

If you are a Professional caring Truck driver , don't defend the cowboy thugs by bringing up old ladies hogging the fast lane ....do they deserve death?

No one deserves being tailgated by a vehicle weighing multiple times their own vehicles weight, pushed into a tree and having the Truck driver , not even stop, oh ....can't get caught with drugs in the blood...or did they push the car "sober"?

No defence ....none .

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Using rail more would save more lives and injuries, I agree but I still believe that you are unfairly targeting trucks.

Let's use Victoria's 2010 road toll, since your source has given us the figure for heavy vehicle related deaths.

In 2010 288 people died on Victorian roads, 60 of those were heavy vehicle related.

That's only 20% of all deaths.

Then we have this DRIVE article which says that out of the 56 (not sure why their figure is different to The Age) truck related deaths, 65% were not the fault of the truck driver.

The stats aren't backing your claims up I'm sorry to say.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I know I almost got ran off the road from a truck. Man, that will make your heart jump from the thought of being crushed by a rig. Truckers are crazy some times.
edit on 9-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Here's some dashcam footage showing some of the muppets seen on the road every day.
(Including some other truckies)

This one is hilarious:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Maybe if some of our rego and fuel taxes went on building some decent roads ,the trucks could safely travel at higher speeds and maybe if people were watching the road instead of focused on the speedo (fear of getting snapped) then the road toll would be reduced .Plenty of other maybes ,but thats all they are.
edit on 9-3-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

In Australia any accident involving a truck and a car is invaribly reported as a collision betwween a car and a truck....get it?

Add to that the reports of mysterious single vehicle accidents on highways, do you get it?

Are all the people who are talking to each other about speeding trucks "liars or fantasisits?

The fact is empty B double trailers are being driven at manical speeds and the inexperienced drivers cannot control them when they duuhh go out of control in wet or other wise conditions.

I have seen so many trucks in wildly wet weather overtake me at a n estimated 110 to 130 km per hour as I safely maintain 70 to 100 km per hour allowing for the low visibility.

Anyone defending this , values human life very weakly, but self interest very highly...and thats what the argument is all about.

Those who took the inducenents to allow massive trucks to increase both their horsepower and their everyday speed capability and consent(by virtue of turning away) will alas retire very well off, we live in a corrupt nation , despite thousands upon thousands dying terrible deaths defending it.

Anyone ...anyone...who has witnessed the screams and grief of the survivors in a vehicle whilst their loved ones are beside them decapacitated or worse(yes worse) all they ask is those elected to represent , do not allow the carnage to contiue.

these are not accidents, these are the results of sociopaths lining their pockets.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Correct me if Iam wrong , but you are ian a 65 or so tonne B double( your words) and for aprox 50% of the time you are driving in the right lane on your posted videos.

Think about it , shouldn;t you driving a deadly 65 tonne vehicle drive in the slow left lane as often as possible?

In Europe this is law....aren't you glad the life is cheap in Australia?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join