It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spring Forward Sucks!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

With Daylight Savings approaching, some are excited for the start of longer and warmer days, while others are only thinking of the fact that this Sunday, Daylight Savings, they will lose an hour of sleep.
It's all about fall back.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

I need my sleep. We're losing an hour sleep tomorrow night. Not good, at least for me. I do not have the luxury to sleep in to 11AM-noon anymore with two young'uns.

Time, what does it really mean? Can we not "fall back" two times a year and just skip a Monday every 10 years?

edit on 9-3-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
OR... you could just go to bed an hour earlier....

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

I look as the time change as a good thing. When I get out of work at 3:30pm the sun will be higher in the sky and set 1 hour later.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I hate fiddling and faffing about with time...

Why can't they just adjust it 30 mins and leave it alone forever more!! COMPROMISE PEOPLES!

(also, beware of traffic! There is a higher incidence of car crashes due to everyone still in zombie mode shifting 2 tonnes of iron across the lands)

It seems clear the hour time shift can interfer with sleep. And sleep problems have been associated with everything from disasters, such as the Chernobyl nuclear accident and the Challenger space shuttle explosion to health problems, such as obesity and psychiatric problems.

Mind you, another quote from this Source might suggest an uncertain degree of car accidents (finnish research opposes canadian), but I'd still be extra vigilant on the roads to be certain.

However, data from the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health did show an increase in the number and severity of workplace accidents the Monday after the switch to daylight saving time. On that Monday, workers slept an average of 40 minutes less than other days, the researchers write in a study published in 2009 in the Journal of Applied Psychology. Finnish researchers also found no evidence that the time transition affected traffic accidents, while a Canadian analysis found an 8-percent increase in traffic accidents on the Monday following the shift to daylight saving time.

edit on 9-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

I only know of one country (there are probably others too though) that does not play with time and that is Morocco. I really do think they have the right idea.

edit on 9/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

www.kvoa.com...

Darn. I lost my original post to you. Anywho, why can we not be like Arizona and Hawaii and let time work like it's supposed to?

We need not meddle in things like this. Let nature take its' course. For once, WE (as humans) should adapt.

edit on 9-3-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by UFO1414

I only know of one country that does not play with time and that is Morocco. I really do think they have the right idea.

One province in Canada doesn't fiddle with the time either. I'm not sure why though

I like it, the only thing that changes is the tv scheduling, or the time difference between eastern and western provinces.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Daylight saving time is now observed in all provinces, except Saskatchewan. Under the Canadian Constitution, laws related to timekeeping are a purely provincial matter. In practice, since the late 1960s DST across Canada has been closely or completely synchronized with its observance in the United States to promote consistent economic and social interaction. When the United States extended DST in 1987 to the first Sunday in April, all DST-observing Canadian provinces followed suit to mimic the change.

Source
Apparently a locally decided matter.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The Spring forward I don't mind; it's the Fall back that I hate. In the fall and winter it gets darker outside sooner, which wreaks havoc on everyone with seasonal depression. I just want to hibernate all winter long; cold AND dark is horrible. During the spring and summer it gets dark after 8:00 which is very nice; vs. the 5-6ish pm in the fall and winter...it really makes winter seem like a harsh drudgery to avoid. The earths wobble has a lot to do with the length of daylight in summer vs winter...if the moon never struck the earth tilting it 23 degrees causing it to get stuck in our orbit at the time of the big bang; we would we still have DLST? Most likely. There is a movement to get rid of DLST altogether, here's to hoping it stays in the spring forward position if they do remove it....dark at 6ish in summer would suck out loud.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
We're springing forward tomorrow?

I thought it was the last Sunday in March? Or you're springing forward in another country besides the UK? I thought we were the only ones.

Anyway, I don't like it either. I like night time and sleep. Best time of the day = bedtime. Worst time of the day = morning. (though I admit if it's a nice morning and you're already up, sitting outside listening to the birds is very nice)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Ahh, at least this thread served to remind me to change the clock tomorrow. I might have been late for work!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yea I think it should be permenant.

top topics

join