It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gloria Allred seeking outright Prosecution for Rush Limbaugh.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Rush Limbaugh has drawn the ire of celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred, who sent a letter to the Palm Beach County state attorney requesting an investigation into whether the popular radio host should be prosecuted for calling a law student a “slut” and “prostitute” last week.

“Mr. Limbaugh targeted his attack on a young law student who was simply exercised her free speech and her right to testify before congress on a very important issue to millions of American women and he vilified her. He defamed her and engaged in unwarranted, tasteless and exceptionally damaging attacks on her,” Allred told POLITICO Friday afternoon. “He needs to face the consequences of his conduct in every way that is meaningful.”
Source

The student is "exercising her free speech", but a host of an opinion-based radio show commenting on the speech is "defaming".

So what she's saying is that since he spoke his mind, and because he said it more loudly than everyone else, he needs to be prosecuted.

I guess Free Speech is now only free for Liberals... everyone else will be forced to pay for their rights to free speech.
edit on 3/10/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

do you know what defamation is and are you familiar with defamation laws?

anyway goodnight everyone

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

"Rush Limbaugh insulted someone for practicing their right to free speech. I therefore believe he should be criminally prosecuted for his practicing of free speech!"

I love ignorance. It makes me laugh.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

free beer, rush was right. all the broadcasters say nasty words, call the other side bad names. so untill u call them all out.. forget it.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LErickson

Who is trying to bill who for sex?
When did anyone suggest that anyone else pay for their sex?
When did sex come up in the testimony?
Why are you glomming onto the lie Rush pushed? It makes you look purposely uninformed and a little stupid.
edit on 10-3-2012 by LErickson because: (no reason given)

Guess you didn't read the part where I said,MANY feel that way,and don't shoot the messenger.Thanks for bring out the guns there,mate.

Rush is an idiot at times,but this woman,and Gloria Allred are bigger idiots . Feminist Nazis are easy to spot. They paint EVERY male,with a bulls-eye.BTW, you must not believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Rush IS allowed that,just like your allowed to spout off at the mouth.

edit on 11-3-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

This woman is a moron and a media junkie. She just wants attention, always has. I do wish people like her would just go away. But alas, it is a "free" country. If Rush can say stupid things so can this dumb broad.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The starting salary for Georgetown law graduates is 160,000 which puts her in the 1%.

Rush isn't so far off the mark.
edit on 11-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

3000 dollars in "free" contraceptives a year.

When was the last time Gloria Allred did work, pro bono, for a MAN ?

No agenda here,move along.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Wow... I love a thread meandering it's way around with a subject. It's what gives ATS it's charm over a news site with comments tacked on the end of stories. This one sure went over the hills, through the woods...across the meadows..and I think it caught a boat somewhere and..err..nvm. Anyway....

I think maybe half a dozen people actually seemed outraged and keyed on the core of the issue as I saw it for this story and the real problem in need of a solution. Oh...and Gloria Allred's never having met a half baked cause or cooky concept to parrot for the media that she didn't run right out with is an outrage all it's own, btw.

(lets remove the names to remove the very hot emotions the real people involved here bring)

1). A host of a national radio/satellite broadcast show called someone a couple of names in a context I would entirely agree was in bad taste and an example of outright meanness, for lack of a better term. (The host and many others have a long history of similar things..some with media comment and most without)

2). The nationally syndicated radio host called someone these while physically in a state where this violated a law.

* So far, I think we'd all agree these two things are valid as simple fact for my OP, but lets keep the relation to the real people out..

3). A Law exists that makes it a crime to say something about someone that results in absolutely ANYTHING but physical harm and this law exists as part of the CRIMINAL code.

4). The First Amendment to our Constitution has absolute supremacy by legal establishment, as well as my personally held beliefs. It absolutely forbids anything of this sort, and it's in no way vague about the words used to establish that fact. (It's worth noting that while no strict hierarchy was meant, the order of the first 10 amendments wasn't entirely random either)

Now, of course Gloria Allred is a media.....personality. Yeah, I believe that's a lawsuit safe way to put it. It would also be perfectly fair to say she's on the television for one crank cause or another FAR MORE ...BY A LOT...than her peers in her area of life.

Even her silly antics for a publicity fix this week aren't the point though. This law is a blue law. It may actually HAVE been used. People who say this is just about Rush raise an interesting point there, however inadvertently. Perhaps someone with access to West-law and the time for the mind numbing work can see if some real gray area cops have used it as a harassment tool. There have been local stories here of people being run through the system on disorderly or similar charges for dropping the F bomb in front of the VERY wrong people.

The underlying issue though really is the fact the law exists and that a national lawyer personality would note and push because...unbelievably...IT DOES seem to fit the act of having simply called someone a couple names. The worst part though? Allred isn't being openly laughed at.

She ought to be...it's absurd. You can almost hear the wheels turning in some minds though..... "Dusty Old Constitution vs. Get Rush Limbaugh hmm... priorities..." ....Now, the name fits in context, and isn't hate an ugly thing. It's been tearing our nation apart since the early 90's....and it's gotta end at some point.

If this story and thread show nothing else beyond the obvious legal conflict? I think it's how the polarization has so infected everything that even such a clear cut issue as this would seem to be on an 1880's blue law becomes murky and hazy.

edit on 11-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor change

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
The starting salary for Georgetown law graduates is 160,000 which puts her in the 1%.

Rush isn't so far off the mark.
edit on 11-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Where she is personally concerned, I think it's safe to say she won't be starting for that little bit of pocket change. I'm sure that wasn't lost on her for appearing before Congress either. What better an audience for a Law student outside of the Supreme Court?

After being Pelosi's pet for the public though, and now this? Oh Rush made her a super-star for the world of law on the far left. I'll bet she's set when she graduates.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Yep just look at the lawyer sitting in the oval office and sure enough this isn't about anything but politics at play.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Guess you didn't read the part where I said,MANY feel that way,and don't shoot the messenger.Thanks for bring out the guns there,mate.

So you do not feel that way?
You are just defending all the ignorant people that do?

Rush is an idiot at times,but this woman,and Gloria Allred are bigger idiots .

How is this woman an idiot?
Convince me.

Feminist Nazis are easy to spot. They paint EVERY male,with a bulls-eye.BTW, you must not believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Rush IS allowed that,just like your allowed to spout off at the mouth.

Really? We have the same freedom of speech? What hour on what day of my nationally syndicated radio talk show did I say something offensive or even have the chance?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

The student is "exercising her free speech", but a host of an opinion-based radio show commenting on the speech is "defaming".

He did not just comment on her speech, he flat out lied about her and defamed her character with those lies.
Do you honestly not understand the difference?

So what she's saying is that since he spoke his mind, and because he said it more loudly than everyone else, he needs to be prosecuted.

No she is saying that since he lied about this woman and used his place in the media to project it, he should be prosecuted.

I guess Free Speech is now only free for Liberals... everyone else will be forced to pay for their rights to free speech.
edit on 3/10/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

Didn't Ed Shulz get suspended?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The First Amendment was regarding the right to free speech in a public square standing on top of a soap box, not on the public airwaves, which the founding fathers never envisioned.

Rush spent three days and several hours impugning this person's character after reading a blog that totally misrepresented her testimony; but it's quite obvious Rush doesn't care about the truth, only in blabbering hate speech and pretending it's 'entertainment'. He, along with O'Reilly and a few others, is responsible for the degradation of anyone who is 'different' and the general discourse, as well as the average IQ and knowledge of the American people. This man is guilty of slander and libel and has been paid very well for it. Goebbels would be proud. His targets, and that's what they are, will never be able to go anywhere now, for the rest of their lives, without being linked to this utter pig.

If he said this about me, or my daughter, or anyone I had ever met, I'd be out gunning for him with a shotgun. He's easy enough to find, we know where he lives and where he works.

If he's got any brains at all, he's writing out a check to Ms. Fluke for several hundred million dollars, because this is going to cost him far more.

I hope he chokes to death on his own vomit. He disgusts me and everyone here who is advocating for him disgusts me also. We have big problems on this planet and Rush is making them far worse.

And just so you understand, this is not about R's or D's. This is about incomprehensible evil for pay. What kind of person is this? Is he even human, by any standard?
edit on 11-3-2012 by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Gloria Allred is nothing more then an attention seeking, male hating bigot. Remember, this is a person who sued for the right to enter a male only, nude steam room. And after she "won", she went in with a tape measure singing "all the small things".

Anyone who takes Gloria Allred seriously is an even bigger joke then Gloria Allred.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool
President Obama is dividing this country into a total mess.

Being the devils advocate ... and Rush Limbaugh isn't?

It seems to me that BOTH parties and their pundits are dividing this country and becoming more disagreeable by the day.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LErickson
He did not just comment on her speech, he flat out lied about her and defamed her character with those lies.
Do you honestly not understand the difference?

No, he stated his opinion. Gloria Allred is going after him for using the terms "slut" and "prostitute" in regards the student's perceived behavior - as a matter of opinion, not as "fact". It would only be a lie if he is saying that it is all true, as opposed to just his opinion on the reason the girl needs government-funded birth control. Do you honestly not understand the difference?

You might try listening to what was actually said:
Rush Limbaugh's Commentary

No she is saying that since he lied about this woman and used his place in the media to project it, he should be prosecuted.

Again, "lie" is all in the perspective.

Didn't Ed Shulz get suspended?

No clue, I don't usually follow the news.

Did Ed Shulz get prosecuted?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Sorry Bud but I agree that he at least needs to be stripped of his media control. I understand free speech, but slander is not covered under that amendment. If we must fear that we will be defamed anytime we speak for what we believe in in front of congress by an extremist political agenda pusher than we can throw the rest of the constitution out as well. I can respect his opinions if he can pass them off in a fashion that stick to his belief in his issues. I dont agree with 95% of the drivell that spews forth from his maw, but i know I dislike him more than he really dislikes Miss Fluke and I can still give my opinion of him without pointing out the many very obvious flaws that make up his egotism and frankly detached views on reality. For a person with clout to attack a young person with a belief purely for some political b.s is pretty weak. I'm saddened that he is one of the major mouthpieces for the republicans. I could be a conservative if it wasnt for the fact that every now and again they all seem to show their true colors and keep me on the right side which is dead center between the clueless and reality detached fools that are steering our downward spiral. Live Love and Laugh because those are your only true rights now and it keeps you sane. I'm out. Must say also that any republican that lets him be their mouthpiece is just as guilty because he is damaging the whole party, tho I'm sure his campaign contributions are a little bigger than his mouth but that would take alot of millions.
edit on 11-3-2012 by regor77 because: addition

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The D's and the R's?

Perpetrating the two party system hurts us all.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sorry Neo but I think it takes a bit more than 160,000 to be 1%. I'm not just talking opinion. It has been established "unofficially" that 500,000 to 1 mil seems to be the range. When they decided they wanted to tax the rich they spoke of a mil or better as a cutoff. All must go to extremes to prove a point. But then i guess you learned prolly from those you defend. Also dont get it. "Gonna make good money some day maybe, Damn Rush your right she is a slut!!!" WTF are u talking about.

edit on 11-3-2012 by regor77 because: more

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join