It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gloria Allred seeking outright Prosecution for Rush Limbaugh.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
I think you want to call someone a slut on the radio you should be prepared to get an allegation of defamation of character.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

I am no fan of Sandra Fluke, but she didn't deserve to get lambasted the way she did. Limbaugh should have known better.
edit on 3/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

It isn't defamation of character if it is true.. And she would have to prove it isn't true in order to win a defamation case against Rush..

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Bill Maher is a comedian and gets a pass?

Nice try. You know that almost worked.

--------
The crazy antics are not working.

Oh, i found the SKD Knickerbocker homepage!

- SKD Knickbocker Exposed -

They need some updates on their : In the news - posts.

Today SKD Knickerbocker was exposed as the PR agency representing the infamous

Sandra Fluke. Executives at SKD Knickerbocker are hiding under their desks from

Fox News!

edit on 10-3-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
It isn't defamation of character if it is true.. And she would have to prove it isn't true in order to win a defamation case against Rush..

Guilty until proven innocent.

nice.

Well, seems easy enough

opening statement
"I will not be sleeping with anyone in court today"
Trial over.

Anyhow, the actual issue is the term prostitute, not slut.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Bill Maher is a comedian and gets a pass?

Though I don't agree with "parody" laws (they extend too far), there is actual protections from people all but slandering another person so long as they are in public office/domain, etc...celebs, politicians, and the like.

if presented as parody, then its all good.

Rush Limbaugh is not (technically) a parody comedy show..now, if he wants to change his listing to satire comedy, then he may be alright...and frankly would probably be more accurate anyhow.

Now, what has Bill said that has you so worked up? Lets break it down..and pretend he isn't a comedian but his show is listed as news commentary.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If being a comedian = you get a pass, then Rush Limbaugh could put on a big

red clown nose, declare himself a comedian and then call Sandra Fluke every

despicable word there is?

Hmm.......how would that sound in a court of law?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality

I think you want to call someone a slut on the radio you should be prepared to get an allegation of defamation of character.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

I am no fan of Sandra Fluke, but she didn't deserve to get lambasted the way she did. Limbaugh should have known better.
edit on 3/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

Dummy me.
She's not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole. She's admitted she need the pills. How can you prove you are not a prostitute (definition of slut)? She would have to claim she is gay. That aint gonna happen.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

No, then he would still be in trouble

might want to brush up on the legalities here
Parody Laws

The Supreme Court, per Justice william rehnquist, reversed the Fourth Circuit. The Court has held in a line of cases regarding defamation that the First Amendment requires a plaintiff who is a public official or a public figure to demonstrate "actual malice," meaning it must be proven that the person being accused showed a reckless disregard as to whether a statement was true or false. These cases generally apply to claims of Libel and Slander brought by public officials or public figures.

After reviewing a brief history of the use of parody in the United States, the Court found that the actual malice standard applies to cases involving intentional infliction of emotional distress as well.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

How can you prove you are not a prostitute (definition of slut)?

a prostitute's definition is simply a slut?

erm...no.

a prostitute can actually -not- be a slut curiously enough.

prostitute n. a person who receives payment for sexual intercourse or other sexual acts, generally as a regular occupation. Although usually a prostitute refers to a woman offering sexual favors to men, male prostitutes may perform homosexual acts for money or receive payment from women for sexual services. A woman prostitute who is sent on a "date" to the hotel room or residence of a male customer is commonly referred to as a "call girl."

Legal Dictionary

a slut is simply someone whom has sex more than you do

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
"Could Palin sue for being called a c#nt?"

I looked up the word. It would be hard to prove that you were not as it is obvious that at least one person feels this way about you.

c#nt - a person (usually but not necessarily a woman) who is thoroughly disliked;

Just my opinion, but it seems logical. Now if she was called a prostitute her husband could testify to the contrary.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Take it anyway you like:

www.merriam-webster.com...

1 chiefly British : a slovenly woman
a : a promiscuous woman; especially : prostitute

I need to get out of here! I have degraded to looking up words I try not to use.

God Bless

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Gloria is great, if you were in trouble and needed a lawyer, she's the kind you want. If you watch her defend others, she's the kind of lawyer you hate. So to judge her is a hard thing to do, the only people qualified to judge her are those who where or are her clients.

Gloria KNOWS exactly what she's doing. Every move she makes is well thought out. There is no way she thinks he should be "prosecuted" but she is drawing attention to the issue of a man who feels he has no moral or social responsibility except to bring down the 'liberal elite" or whatever else he's calling it these days, and for the cause can say anything he wants without recourse.

The fact that you are talking about her, and the issue, in this light, is what she wanted. To be foolish enough to think she actually wants to trash the freedom of speech clause is to not understand PR and the way it works.

Rush will spend days, or months attacking anyone he feels deserves it - he's judge and jury but is to much of a fear-based baby to be executioner, so it is only fair that others pile on him. Gloria is simply taking a whack, btw, she might get a client out of it.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Take it anyway you like:

www.merriam-webster.com...

1 chiefly British : a slovenly woman
a : a promiscuous woman; especially : prostitute

I need to get out of here! I have degraded to looking up words I try not to use.

God Bless

lol..ok, was fun debating with you (and oddly enough not totally against you this time).
I am out also...spend a perfectly good Saturday sitting around yacking about sluts...which is what Saturday nights are for (kidding..
)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Right and right again
Judgement is for her clients on her merits.

And ya, I suspect all of this noise is to simply get Rushbo to sweat a little bit and call him out. If there are legalities that come forward, its not like he can't afford it and brush it off, but it may make him think a bit before going down that route in the future...may class up the man a bit in the long run (or at least not wallow in his own filth he vomits up as much)

Star 4 you and I am out.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LErickson
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Don't shoot the messenger.

...unless it's Rush Limbaugh....

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
“Mr. Limbaugh targeted his attack on a young law student who was simply exercised her free speech

And he did so while exercising his free speech.... case closed.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water
“Mr. Limbaugh targeted his attack on a young law student who was simply exercised her free speech

And he did so while exercising his free speech.... case closed.

Case dismissed.

Miss Allred could i see you in my chamber?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

No, then he would still be in trouble

might want to brush up on the legalities here
Parody Laws

The Supreme Court, per Justice william rehnquist, reversed the Fourth Circuit. The Court has held in a line of cases regarding defamation that the First Amendment requires a plaintiff who is a public official or a public figure to demonstrate "actual malice," meaning it must be proven that the person being accused showed a reckless disregard as to whether a statement was true or false. These cases generally apply to claims of Libel and Slander brought by public officials or public figures.

After reviewing a brief history of the use of parody in the United States, the Court found that the actual malice standard applies to cases involving intentional infliction of emotional distress as well.

That legal mumbo jumbo does not sound as convincing as this ad by ShePAC.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by satoriku

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
defamation, slander and libel are real

rush crossed a line

he should have to face any consequence the law provides

Really? Why is that genius? Because he is Rush and he is easy to hate by a certain large group of people that you just so happen to be a part of? Your mock/hypocritical nobility is disgusting and blatant, much like asking the taxpayers to foot one's potential $3000. contraception bill. The only thing Rush is guilty of is sarcasm.

touch a nerve ? settle down bevis

I expressed my opinion, which is kind of what boards are all about

what I was getting at is the first ammendment does not protect people from slander, libel and defamation, and that he should not be treated any differently than any other american, and that if the law provides any sort of correction, he should face it like a man

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Uhh, no.

I hate Rush and hate what he said but he is perfectly free to say whatever he wants as we all are.

No one is able to say whatever they want if we were then we wouldn't have things called slander and libell. Rush crossed the line on this one and he should have to pay for it.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
Gloria is great, if you were in trouble and needed a lawyer, she's the kind you want. If you watch her defend others, she's the kind of lawyer you hate. So to judge her is a hard thing to do, the only people qualified to judge her are those who where or are her clients.

Gloria KNOWS exactly what she's doing. Every move she makes is well thought out. There is no way she thinks he should be "prosecuted" but she is drawing attention to the issue of a man who feels he has no moral or social responsibility except to bring down the 'liberal elite" or whatever else he's calling it these days, and for the cause can say anything he wants without recourse.

The fact that you are talking about her, and the issue, in this light, is what she wanted. To be foolish enough to think she actually wants to trash the freedom of speech clause is to not understand PR and the way it works.

Rush will spend days, or months attacking anyone he feels deserves it - he's judge and jury but is to much of a fear-based baby to be executioner, so it is only fair that others pile on him. Gloria is simply taking a whack, btw, she might get a client out of it.

Gloria is a pile of steaming exrement in my opinion. The biggest Ambulance chaser of them all. She cares not a wit about those she represents, only about how their case will make a bigger name for herself.

While she may know law, she definitely lacks common sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join