It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gloria Allred seeking outright Prosecution for Rush Limbaugh.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Rush Limbaugh has drawn the ire of celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred, who sent a letter to the Palm Beach County state attorney requesting an investigation into whether the popular radio host should be prosecuted for calling a law student a “slut” and “prostitute” last week.

“Mr. Limbaugh targeted his attack on a young law student who was simply exercised her free speech and her right to testify before congress on a very important issue to millions of American women and he vilified her. He defamed her and engaged in unwarranted, tasteless and exceptionally damaging attacks on her,” Allred told POLITICO Friday afternoon. “He needs to face the consequences of his conduct in every way that is meaningful.”
Source

Okay, I think Rush was pretty much a pig myself on this and I made a couple comments when this first broke to that effect. However, this has nothing to do with Rush, that activist or Contraception. Gloria Allred has taken this far beyond the people and the initial issue.

Prosecution for SPEECH?! Actually charge him in a criminal court, for words he said that did not incite or cause violent action?

I'm sure Black people would like to see the Neo-Nazsi's Prosecuted. I'm sure the activist Jews would like to see Holocasut deniers prosecuted. If speech could be criminalized, we'd all have problems. Especially at a site like this.

I believe Gloria has been out of school too long. The dear lady needs a year spent back in Constitutional Law classes and what that 1st Amendment means. It's there to protect speech *NOT* just when we like it. It's there to protect speech ESPECIALLY when it's the type we hate. One person's hated speech is another man's honest opinion.

I'll just bet Gloria has said a few things I'd love to see HER do prison time for....IF this weren't America and speech wasn't a God given and protected RIGHT of every American.

Anyone else agree or should Rush get the book thrown at him?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Uhh, no.

I hate Rush and hate what he said but he is perfectly free to say whatever he wants as we all are.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think you want to call someone a slut on the radio you should be prepared to get an allegation of defamation of character.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

I am no fan of Sandra Fluke, but she didn't deserve to get lambasted the way she did. Limbaugh should have known better.
edit on 3/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
I think you want to call someone a slut you should be prepared to get an allegation of defamation of character.

That is fair enough, and you're talking about civil law which translates to lawsuits. Rush is no stranger to them and I'll generally agree that he might deserve a hard slap with 0's on the end and a $ on the front. Fair enough.

Gloria isn't after civil law and lawsuits. Her statements and letter indicate an effort for criminal prosecution, which is where I think this goes from the realm of reasonable response to someone who talked WAY out of turn.....to putting him through the same system as a criminal on the street. For....Speech? For...two derogatory names.

I hadn't noted this in the OP, but this would be a good place to. In other nations..plenty of other nations..this COULD be actionable speech. England and Canada are both getting a little weird about what a person can or cannot say about..well..much of anything. Here though..this is as much or more a cause to fight for as the 2nd Amendment or the 4th or the 5th.

God said I could say whatever I feel like that doesn't lead to the direct physical harm of others. Rush has the same right...even if he abuses it.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
OMG, if she can, why aren't the WBC in jail???

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Gloria Allred is hilarious. A lawyer who says someone should be prosecuted for free speech. Laughable. A lawyer whose duty it is to uphold the Constitution is against the First Amendment? I think the California Bar Association should have a look. Then on the other hand, it is California. I would hope they at least make her get a new hairdo. She always gives me a few chuckles.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What the hell ?

Rush doesn't say anything that Bill Maher and Ed Schultz and Keith Olbermann hasn't said don't hear anyone wanting to prosecute them.

Yep the D's can say and do whatever they want the R's never get a free pass.

Also don't hear anyone calling to prosecute rappers who denigrate and objectify women for the last 20 years.
edit on 9-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
I think you want to call someone a slut on the radio you should be prepared to get an allegation of defamation of character.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

I am no fan of Sandra Fluke, but she didn't deserve to get lambasted the way she did. Limbaugh should have known better.
edit on 3/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info
Or they could put on their big girl panties, remember times they've probably done basically the same thing somewhere along the way, call Rush an idiot dope-head, and find something more meaningful to do with their time?

Having said that: I often agree with your posts and appreciate
your contributions here, SEL.

However, I'm pretty sure you don't wanna live in a society that demands "political correctness" taken to extremes.

Hey, Rush: You're an idiot dope-head. Sue me if you don't like it.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well now this is a strange turn of events, cause it appears that Ms. Fluck, seems to not be wanting to be contacted by those who do not share her views, nor does her manager, and is it funny that the firm, ran by a person who once served in the Obama White House. Seems like there is more and more to the story than what meets the eye. Now all of the sudden, an attorney from the state of California is demanding criminal charges against a firebrand commentator. Kind of makes you think.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Bill Maher is just as terrible if not worse.He does not even attempt to aplogize and calls his crap comedy.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Seems a few rappers who make their living making sexist songs get Whte House invites such as Jay z,Common, Snoop Dog.

Ah the hypocritical leftists what no prosecution for them?

Right.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
President Obama is dividing this country into a total mess.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Her statements and letter indicate an effort for criminal prosecution, which is where I think this goes from the realm of reasonable response to someone who talked WAY out of turn.....to putting him through the same system as a criminal on the street. For....Speech? For...two derogatory names.
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm no legal eagle, but trying to make a criminal case out of this?

I hope the P.A. or whoever she's talking to isn't going along with this.

God Bless.

edit on 3/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Well now this is a strange turn of events, cause it appears that Ms. Fluck, seems to not be wanting to be contacted by those who do not share her views, nor does her manager, and is it funny that the firm, ran by a person who once served in the Obama White House. Seems like there is more and more to the story than what meets the eye. Now all of the sudden, an attorney from the state of California is demanding criminal charges against a firebrand commentator. Kind of makes you think.

Sorry, I'm not following your post. Who is Fluke's manager? Are you saying that the law firm Alfred is associated with is run by someone who served in the Obama White House? If so, I'd like to know the name of that person.

God Bless
edit on 3/9/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Just saw this thread after I posted a new one.
Oooops.
Anyway, this whole thing seems SOOO manipulated on both sides. Rush KNOWS how people hate him and some of these people just hang on to the hope that one day all conservatives will be taken down by a new breed of thought police.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

My bad for not putting in more material for context. (holds paw out for a slap)
err.. oops.

Let me add this to try and make that up a hare.

Criminal Libel

Unlike most states, Florida still recognizes criminal libel. Chapter 836 of the Florida Statutes does not define the elements of criminal libel, but it does specifically prohibit false statements that harm a bank or other financial institution's reputation or accuse a female of being unchaste. To the extent that the statute remains valid, criminal libel is a first-degree misdemeanor. However, a Florida appeals court found Fla. Stat. § 836.11 -- which deals with anonymous defamation of individuals or religious groups -- to be unconstitutional. State v. Shank, 795 So.2d 1067 (Fla.Ct.App., 4th Dist. 2001).
(emphasis mine) Source

This amounts to a blue law, as they're called. A law that is there from a stupid move somewhere along the line or a law so old, it belongs to another time altogether. The elements would be amusing to see a courtroom attempt at proving. Interesting things may come into play as valid evidence to be submitted.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
What the hell ?

Rush doesn't say anything that Bill Maher and Ed Schultz and Keith Olbermann hasn't said don't hear anyone wanting to prosecute them.

Yep the D's can say and do whatever they want the R's never get a free pass.

Also don't hear anyone calling to prosecute rappers who denigrate and objectify women for the last 20 years.

Yep, them poor "R's" are the poor innocent victims all the time. Big conspiracy... everyone's out to get those "R's"

Get a grip.
edit on 9-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The first amendment as we all know protects the right of free speech. Yeah, you might not like what some people have to say but get over it. Not everything in life is nice or pretty.

You can't selectively remove someone's rights when you don't agree with them. WBC is ridiculous but i also do believe they have a right to say what they want. The answer? Ignore them. You can talk all you want but it doesn't matter when nobody's listening.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Actually its those "poor innocent women" who "can't defend themselves" they need Gloria Alfred and Government to take care of their every needs.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Actually its those "poor innocent women" who "can't defend themselves" they need Gloria Alfred and Government to take care of their every needs.

How does that fit into your "R" and "D" conspiracy?

MEH.

edit on 9-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join