It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you want to be a Freemason?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

Dogged by conspiracy theories, Freemasons insist theirs is a modern, open organisation. But can this male-dominated body cast off its secretive image and win over a sceptical public?

They designed the pyramids, plotted the French Revolution and are keeping the flame alive for the Knights Templar. These are just some of the wilder theories about the Freemasons. Today they are associated with secret handshakes and alleged corruption in the police and judiciary.

But dogged by this "secret society" image, the Freemasons have launched a rebranding exercise.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I would have thought this rebranding exercise would be pretty hard work.

Surely the conspiracy theories relating to Freemasons and its association with corruption can't easily be addressed?

And, to answer the BBC's question in its headline for this article, I'd have to say "no" due to the negative views that exist in relation to Freemasons - and the slightly weird traditions.

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 9-3-2012 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Firstly...

Why is this in the BAN Forum? Seriously...

Second, becoming a Mason was a great decision in my life. It means something different to every person, and no two people get the same thing out of Masonry. It's a personal journey more than a set-path.

I don't understand the basis of your post, is it just to point out that we (Masons) are still cast in a negative light?

Masonry is not a one-fits-all organization. Some people can go to lodge every-other week for their entire lives and never see the light...

On the other hand, I have met newly-raised Masons that understood more of what it means to be a "true" Mason than their lazy elders.

In the end you don't have to be a Mason to live a life based on our ideals, and many do without knowing it.

Help and love your fellow man, and leave the world better than when you found it. That's about all there is to it.

We simply make good men better.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

www.bbc.co.uk

Dogged by conspiracy theories, Freemasons insist theirs is a modern, open organisation. But can this male-dominated body cast off its secretive image and win over a sceptical public?

They designed the pyramids, plotted the French Revolution and are keeping the flame alive for the Knights Templar. These are just some of the wilder theories about the Freemasons. Today they are associated with secret handshakes and alleged corruption in the police and judiciary.

But dogged by this "secret society" image, the Freemasons have launched a rebranding exercise.

It would be pointless. You are not a chosen one if you even have to ask that question.
We would be better off starting a new secret society based on the wisdom that we have gathered.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
IDK, do they have a good benefits package?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I already am!
I do not attend lodge anymore as I just don't have time to care to go as I have enough distractions on my own.
I still hold fast to the teachings and ideas, as I believe the world would be a much better place if everyone was everyone's brother or sister.
If we can't agree, let's agree not to kill each other!
But I have no Masonic gold, nor world control keys.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

plotted the French Revolution

I'm pretty sure the Bavarian Illuminati had a hand in that as well. Written by an ex member in the 1780's

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Awesome benefits package!
Imagine having a Brother in every city you might travel to.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
My grandfather was 33rd degree Mason, and he was a good and honorable man.

If there are problems with the Mason's they are much higher than local halls.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Boy howdy!

There's just one qualification I lack, and it kept me out of the Boy Scouts, too. Not even the Benedictines will take me.

I've been practicing my grips just in case there's any major policy change.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Would you want to be a mason? I wouldn't.

As secretive and ancient as their system goes its hard not to connect it in my mind to the secrets of Egypt and the mystery schools. Makes me think there's something powerful and esoteric going on there behind those closed doors.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
now thats funny, i often find people wanting to join me, rather than some outdated organization clinging to an idea that has long gone and been overtaken.

Ahh yes, i have tasted evolution and it's finger licking good.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalAccount2008

As secretive and ancient as their system goes its hard not to connect it in my mind to the secrets of Egypt and the mystery schools. Makes me think there's something powerful and esoteric going on there behind those closed doors.

I can't be a Mason, I don't believe in a god.

They're pretty strict on that one, you have to have a deity to join the club. Any deity will do, but you must recognize one, and my hypocrisy only goes so far.
edit on 9-3-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I can't be a Mason, I don't believe in god.

They're pretty strict on that one, you have to have a deity to join the club. Any deity will do, but you must recognize one, and my hypocrisy only goes so far.

From what I've overstood, they make you worship a different deity at each degree. Which sounds great to me because of the love it could rise in an individual but the entire scheme of having overlords pass down knowledge kinda urks me. Plus as a sidenote I bet there are some things they will do that I would never do...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FinalAccount2008

I don't buy that, my grandfather was hardcore Catholic, daily mass hardcore, vespers hardcore.

He never waivered in his beliefs, that much I am sure of. I took care of him for the last year of his life, I got to know him very well. And I could make the drive to St Pius in my sleep after a year of that devotion. Got really good at crossword puzzles though.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

And there lies the problem for me.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm inclined to view the Masons as the principle enemies of humanity, in all honesty; I really don't think there's any other organisation in existence that is worse. They will deny that, of course; they always do.

The problem is compounded by the fact that there are a lot of low level Masons around who genuinely have only had positive experiences with the order; so from their perspective, when they refute claims that the organisation is evil, they're actually telling the truth, or what they think is the truth.

Probably the most interesting thing you can do with at least some Masons, is ask them whether or not they're Luciferians, and then watch them predictably say no; but then in the next sentence, actually launch into a series of apologetics for that figure.

You have your Jedi...and then you have your Sith.
edit on 9-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless
conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its
sphere of influence — on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion
instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on
guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has
conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a
tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military,
diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

THE VERY WORD ’SECRECY’ IS REPUGNANT IN A FREE AND OPEN SOCIETY;
and we are as a people inherently and historically OPPOSED TO
SECRET SOCIETIES, TO SECRET OATHS AND TO SECRET PROCEEDINGS.

— J.F. Kennedy
edit on 9-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

From what I've overstood, they make you worship a different deity at each degree. Which sounds great to me because of the love it could rise in an individual but the entire scheme of having overlords pass down knowledge kinda urks me. Plus as a sidenote I bet there are some things they will do that I would never do...

There are no different gods in the various degrees of Freemasonry.

In Freemasonry there are only 3 degrees.

Yep, that's right. Three. No magical 33rd degree that gets you a secret access card and decoder ring.

In Masonry, and the Blue Lodge in particular, there are only three "levels" of Masonry. That's the way it is for any lodge governed by the Grand Lodge.

The common misconception comes from both the York and Scottish Rites, which seek to expand your Masonic "knowledge" through further study and learning. In the York right, you can go up to the 13th degree, and in the Scottish, the well-known 33rd.

I have been involved in Masonry most of my life. Through the DeMolays to the Blue Lodge. My nickname at lodge is "Lewis"
. I am neither a member of either the SR or the YR. You don't have to be a member of the SR or YR to me a Mason, but you must be a Mason to be in either.

In actuality, most Masons never go past their local lodge. My Grandfather went through the Scottish Rite and my father went through the York Rite. They got to see some pretty neat plays, they got to learn a few new handshakes, and they got to meet some awesome people (not to mention they got the "honor" of paying even more dues every year
)

But I am just as much of a Mason as they were (both are deceased now). In the lodge, all are equal. I do plan on joining the SR one day, I just don't have the time now to devote.

Also contrary to popular beliefs, religion isn't even allowed to be discussed in (my) lodge. So you wouldn't even hear about any specific god in any local lodge I have visited. The Great Architect is a good enough name for us. It encompasses any deity you may believe in, while not singling any out in particular.

If only our government held the same values for others beliefs...

All of this is easily found on the interwebs. It always astonishes me that on this of all websites, where one is supposed to Deny Ignorance, that people don't take the 10 minutes to research Masonry before they go about bashing it. (Not saying anyone in this thread has, everyone has been very civil here. I am referring to basically every other thread I have read on here.)

I already know what is coming: "You aren't a 33rd degree so you don't know, you don't learn the truth until... blah, blah..."

My Grandfather was a 33rd degree Scott. He worked at the Salinas State Prison as an inmate counselor for over 20 years, and worked mainly with inmates from C3. If there was any man trying to make this world a better place to live, my GP was definitely one of them. He would invite recently-released inmates to stay on his property and work his small farm for him to help get their lives together before being thrown head-first back into society. Members from more than 9 different gangs were present at his funeral, and not one violent word was spoken. A better man, I have never met.

I doubt that he was a blood-drinking, lucifer-worshiping satanist... and if he was, I doubt anyone that knew him would care.

To anyone asking questions about Masonry on a conspiracy board, give me your state, and I will set you up with a list of every lodge there. Look up a local one. Talk to a Mason. Ask him what he has gotten out of it.

Don't ask a group of conspiracy theorists...

On a separate note though, lodges do reserve the right to turn a candidate away. If they see something in you they really don't like, you will not get in. Not everyone can be a Mason. And if they are accepted, not everyone is a good Mason. There are always the ones that join "just to find out" or to meet older businessmen. Yep, it happens.

I'm running out of characters here, so if you want any more info, PM me. I will be happy to answer any questions I am allowed to.

In short, the answer to the OP's question is different for every man.

It must be Friday... too much Scotch and I'm rambling... heh, ybysaia.

Time to go back to arguing about whether Iran is going to blow the world up or not...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I would love to be a free mason so I can destroy it from the inside... that is how you get 'em.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join