It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thin film physics (very cool vid)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
this video is very cool science from the iss

the video shows the bizar physics of a thin film of pure water in zero G
a must watch science video,

i am watching it over and over to try to understand how the physics behind this works,
as the behavior of the pure water seems to defy known surface tension laws

i would love for someone to explain to me how a drp of water can travel THROUGH water and emerge out the other side?

xploder
edit on 9-3-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2012 by XPLodER because: fix video

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Very interesting... of course - the direction of convection is due to the nature of higher-energy particles to assume higher energy states (represented by distance from a tensor force, in this example). That same surface tension/viscous nature inducts available mass to fill the space (which comes from the cooler mass of water).

Further, the 'thinner' regions of the bubble offer a greater surface-area/mass ratio, which allow heat to be lost to entropy much quicker than low area/mass regions (and those particles later get drawn back to the tensor mass).

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

thank you

that explains the heat experiment,
but how does water droplets travel "through the surface tension" of the the film and out the other side?
conservation of momentium?
different surface tesion properties of water in zero g?

xploder

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

That is a little more complex, and I'm not quite sure I have the full answer.

However, I would imagine it is somewhat analogous to quantum tunneling. The water droplet represents a particle while the film represents a classical barrier. A particle with enough energy and the correct properties can tunnel through a classically impenetrable barrier (in this case, by becoming a compression wave within the film). Other particles will be absorbed by the barrier or rebound off of it, depending upon their energy states, angles of incidence, etc.

If I had the know-how and the computing power, I'd try to run some fluid compression simulations to show how a wave propagates in 3d through a film and how it would interact to create a "rebound" following absorption, as well as some other things... but I'm actually belaying other responsibilities to make this post, let alone create an entire suite of software with rendered simulations.

top topics

join